Are the Leafs the worst team in the East with the best record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Just as the title says, are the leafs the worst team in the East ... but have the best record out of the other bad teams. We all see that they are obnoxiously outshot every game and have little to no puck possession game after game. Goaltending has been bailing them out, but there is only so long Reimer and Bernier can do that as we seen tonight with the humiliating beating they got. Goalies will have a bad game here and there as every player in the NHL does. (Not blaming Reimer at all for tonights loss, easily could have been 8-0 if he didn't make some of the great saves he did.)

Now with Bolland out long term and Bozak out for the foreseen future, do you think that they are finished and will miss the playoffs? Is this a below average team that has had some good fortune in the first 15 games? Has that run out now?

The reckless play so far this season looks to be exploited when they play good teams, Colorado, Chicago, Vancouver... They get owned by these teams.

What do you guys think, has the team simply overachieved thus far this season? Was it a reality check against the Canucks tonight showing what this team really is about?

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Not a reality check. We always have bad starts against any team. We usually end up bringing it up a notch in the 2nd and/or third. However, this game, Bolland's injury and us constantly getting called (some warranted, some not) for stupid penalties killed off any momentum we had. It was just a terrible game. For all they're raving about Luongo's shutout, what chances did we even have on net that were quality ones? It was a bad game compounded by everything going against us. I mean when Ranger makes an absolutely beautiful 2 on 1 breakup and then proceeds to take a delay of game penalty, you know your luck is ****ed.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Im glad we are in the East and not the West

Nothing has changed over the Bolland injury. We are still playoff contenders. I expect to make the playoffs but I wouldn't be shocked if we didnt

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do you watch other teams play? Do you really think there's like 29 teams out there that all play like the '78 Canadiens every single night? It was an ugly loss, let's see how they rebound.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
No, you're not a bad team with a good record. You've got very good offense and goal tending. Bozak/Bolland's injuries have the potential to give you problems - but you've also banked a lot of points early. You should make the playoffs. Mediocrity of Habs and Sens will help you.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
A whole lot of negativity after 1 loss

BTW, the Colorado game was a close one. Difference was Sarich's ridiculous shot over Bernier (who was cheating a bit)

Mar 26, 2010
No, you're not a bad team with a good record. You've got very good offense and goal tending. Bozak/Bolland's injuries have the potential to give you problems - but you've also banked a lot of points early. You should make the playoffs. Mediocrity of Habs and Sens will help you.

We shall see. We a screwed on center now though. Not sure what Nonis is going to do.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
We don't have anyone other than Smithson (AHL contract) on the Marlies who could come in and replace Dave Bolland. Or we could wait for Bozak to return.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I guess only the leafs can be a bad team and still have a winning record? :shakehead

Right now, they're winning, and as long as they keep doing that I couldn't care less what the analyst or other butt hurt fans are going to say.

I mean really, "the worst team with the best record", that's a silly thing to say. I sincerely hope that we continue to be the worst team with the best record in the east, that'd be better than any other team in the east. :laugh:

All you can do is assess game to game, it's a long season, and they're well above .500; lets just hope they patch up their shortcomings and continue to win as many games as they can.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess only the leafs can be a bad team and still have a winning record? :shakehead

Right now, they're winning, and as long as they keep doing that I couldn't care less what the analyst or other butt hurt fans are going to say.

I mean really, "the worst team with the best record", that's a silly thing to say. I sincerely hope that we're continue to be the worst team with the best record in the east, then the best team with a below-average record. :laugh:

All you can do is assess game to game, it's a long season, and their well above .500; lets just hope they patch up their shortcomings and continue to win as many games as they can.

Even when the Bruins were making their run to the finals, a lot of their wins looked very lethargic, especially against the Rangers, if I recall correctly.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Even when the Bruins were making their run to the finals, a lot of their wins looked very lethargic, especially against the Rangers, if I recall correctly.

Hell, even during the season there was a lot of lethargic play from the B's, they started out of the gate pretty poorly last season, and the fans were pretty disappointed in their overall play. It happens to every team where they go through poor stretches. Luckily for us, we can still fix our errors without having to deal with the consequences of all the bad games we've played since we've won the majority of them.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Do you watch other teams play? Do you really think there's like 29 teams out there that all play like the '78 Canadiens every single night? It was an ugly loss, let's see how they rebound.
OP doesn't even watch the Leafs play tbh

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Close the thread this is the stupidest **** ever.

We lose a game because canucks dive more than an olympic swim team.

Mar 26, 2010
Close the thread this is the stupidest **** ever.

We lose a game because canucks dive more than an olympic swim team.

No, we lost because they are a better team and we were outclassed.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I don't know about "worst team in the East with the best record", but they are slightly worse than their current record. How much, I don't know.

I saw them as a bubble team coming into the season and I still see them the same way.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
A very over-reactionary thread IMO. However...I think it could go either way, we've played solid but we need to tighten up our defense. I wasn't able to watch the full game but it wasn't this game that is making me say this but a string of games where I'm seeing lacklustre defensive play by our team. If we continue to play in such way, we'll have to pay for it.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Pathetic. After one loss... It's a really lonnggg season

Doesn't help that they lost to one of the most unbearable sports franchises on the planet, they lost in a pathetic fashion as well. People are going to be angry.

Between the self loathing Leafs fans and trolling Canucks fans, these next few days are going to be hell on these boards.

Mar 26, 2010
Doesn't help that they lost to one of the most unbearable sports franchises on the planet, they lost in a pathetic fashion as well. People are going to be angry.

Between the self loathing Leafs fans and trolling Canucks fans, these next few days are going to be hell on these boards.

This exactly. Those Canucks fans are just loving every second of it. The bad part about this loss, is that it makes Luongo look good even know we did not even have 1 good scoring chance. We had no puck possession, it was like the Canucks had a 60 min Power play.

Luongo is still garbage and will fold like an old lawn chair in the playoffs like he does every season. Can't wait to watch Vancouver lose, I enjoy every second of it.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I hate to say this but they miss grabovski. He did play a great possession game...except he also kept the puck from his teammates.

Yet somehow he's on a pace for 45 assists playing with meh wingers like Ward, Chimera, Brouwer. Keep drinking that Randy kool-aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad