Are the Leafs legit contenders? Carlyle comments on play.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
In a sense, they do. Deep in scoring and a very similar style of play, defender for defender. Of course, they're just rough generalization one-to-one, but overall their is a bit of a theme there.

And dependent on their scoring to come more from the wings then at C.

But there is one HUGE difference and that is their ability to dominate the scoring sheet, 5/5.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In a sense, they do. Deep in scoring and a very similar style of play, defender for defender. Of course, they're just rough generalization one-to-one, but overall their is a bit of a theme there.

I think we're trying to be a Chicago/Los Angeles hybrid. Chicago in the sense that we have a pretty great top six, Los Angeles in the sheer amount of big bodies and surplus guys that could allow this team to roll with injuries and a war of attrition. Also funny, Reimer is a bit like Corey Crawford in some ways as an underdog battler, while Bernier could be a bit of a Jonathan Quick type intimidating goalie if all goes well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we're trying to be a Chicago/Los Angeles hybrid. Chicago in the sense that we have a pretty great top six, Los Angeles in the sheer amount of big bodies and surplus guys that could allow this team to roll with injuries and a war of attrition. Also funny, Reimer is a bit like Corey Crawford in some ways as an underdog battler, while Bernier could be a bit of a Jonathan Quick type intimidating goalie if all goes well.

and I think a bit of Boston, because when the team DOES it, we can grind them down, and smack the crap out of people

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

Nonis has said it a few times on the air, that he studies the elite teams. Of course, it also doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you need depth in talent to win. That Hawks team, much like the Bruins recently and the Kings too, are/were deep in talent. They each had/have a handful of guys who can score and can play a big physical game. That, to me, is one of the more telling marks of an elite team. The more guys like Buff, Lucic, Horton and Brown in your roster, the better. A third line that plays a rough, checking, gritty style of game, but are also all capable of second line scoring style of play as well. Goaltending that can steal games. At least four elite all-star calibre scores that can be spread over the top two lines.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
And dependent on their scoring to come more from the wings then at C.

But there is one HUGE difference and that is their ability to dominate the scoring sheet, 5/5.

If that's the only major difference so far, I'll take it. Bottom line is they're winning, and they're doing it with clutch comebacks and really sound goaltending. It's as if they score at will at times.

Great signs. Still work to do. So far, so good.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
In the west, Chicago, LA and STL are slightly above us. I see Colorado leveling out soon, great offense but their defense/goaltending is playing very above expectations.

From my observation in Colorado game their defense was terrible. We had quite a few golden opportunities just shredding their D. Lupul with redirect and Bozak with like 3 half-net open chances. If that would be Kessel or JVR in place of Bozak there we would put in 2-3 more goals.
Their forwards did great job defensively, pressuring puck carrier from all sides, but they can overcompensate for their weak D only for so long.

Hmm... Am I thinking about some other team here? :sarcasm: Nah, our D is way-way better, just not fully in sync yet.

Tyler Biggs*

The difference this year for the Leafs is that we're winning the games that would have got away on us in previous years. Once we have our full roster it won't really matter anyways.

Great feeling to know you have 2 goalies that can steal a game for you. All the haters saying Leafs wouldn't be 6-1 without the goaltenders. They have a point there, it would be too easy for the other team to score if there were no goalies in the Leaf net. Even the Habs might manage to beat the Leafs if that was the case.

hockeyfanz*

Realistically, we haven't faced a real cup-contending team yet. And if we play like we have for the last 7 games, we will be crushed. Can't rely on Bernier/Reimer all the time.

I think on papaer when the team is healthy, the Leafs are a solid team who could make some noise in the playoffs. Is there record indicative of the team that they really are? Nope. Despite playing lackluster hockey, they are 6-1...largely because of the quality of competition and the goaltending by James and Bernier. They actually have not been all that impressive for a 6-1 team. Not dominant by any stretch. One can argue they could just as easily be a .500 team if not for some luck and outstanding goaltending.

I am eager to see how this team fully healthy stacks up against the giants of the league. Should be interesting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Of course we're contenders. Doesn't mean we're among the favorites, but we have a shot.

a key distinction for sure.

Yes, the Hawks and Bruins are the 'favorites', and we have a lot of proving to do to match up to them, but that doesn't mean we're not contenders.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Thank god Carlyle knows whats up with this team. I expected him to give the players props for winning but ignoring the fact that their getting outplayed every game. Hopefully some changes happen.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
a key distinction for sure.

Yes, the Hawks and Bruins are the 'favorites', and we have a lot of proving to do to match up to them, but that doesn't mean we're not contenders.
By that logic the Florida Panthers are contenders.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

The difference is those two teams are puck possession beasts while we are the complete opposite.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Leafs can hang with the best of them in the East at least.

We face Chicago, Pitts and Anaheim soon. It should be a good measuring stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->