Are the Leafs legit contenders? Carlyle comments on play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Circle Nov 9, our first game vs Boston. I think this game will go a long way to determining where we stand in the league.

Good news is Clarkson, Fraser, and Mclaren should all be back in the lineup. Our line up looks much better than game 7.

Bozak JVR Kessel
Kadri Lupul Kule
Bolland Clarkson Raymond
Mcclement Orr Mclaren

Dion Gunnar
Rielly Franson
Fraser/Gardiner/Ranger

Bernier/Reimer

Tyler Biggs*

27 goals for 16 against, second best GF in the league, Leafs can score that's for sure.

No Clarkson, No Frazer, No JVR , No Kulemin, No Bernier….No problem.

Can't wait until Clarkson comes back! His ability to get other players so angry alone is huge let alone his skills! Going to be a huge boost to a team that's already finding a way to win every night!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
27 goals for 16 against, second best GF in the league, Leafs can score that's for sure.

No Clarkson, No Frazer, No JVR , No Kulemin, No Bernier….No problem.

Can't wait until Clarkson comes back! His ability to get other players so angry alone is huge let alone his skills! Going to be a huge boost to a team that's already finding a way to win every night!

I would have no problem plugging Clarkson in with Bolland and Raymond. We can call this the Dave Nonis line. :laugh: Bolland and Raymond have great chemistry, I can see Clarkson feeding off the 2 banging and going to the net.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
LA, Boston and Pittsburgh's Cups were more of a product of huge performance of their goalies in PO. I think we will easily get by with D we have if our goal-tending stays hot / extremely reliable.

Goalie's play a huge part in GAA yea I understand that lol however LA's and Boston's team Defense is elite disregarding the goalie part, it takes both great goaltending and Elite Defensive play in order to be the best Defensive teams in the league. we've lacked both parts in the past and 7 games isn't enough to say we've changed for the better yet.

You do realize that we ARE top ten in GAA so far this year, seventh to be exact.

you do realize were 7 games in right? basically still at the point where one good or bad game can still put you in or out of the top 10. last season we were 17th so I think I'll wait till at least the mid-point to see if the changes will be better.

Triple Minor

Optimus Reim
Aug 24, 2012
Toronto
We've played terrible and still manages to win games even with a lot of key guys injured.

One we get Clarkson, Kule, Fraser back i think we can dominate games even further.

I think we will make playoffs but are still a few key pieces(#1 C especially) away from being cup contenders.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Playoff team: Yes
Solid Playoff team: Yes
Stanley Cup contenders: Yes
Stanley Cup favourites: No

My opinion isn't based off our play so far, but rather the talent on our roster, the closeness of the players, the strength of our goaltending, the experience of our coach, and the willingness of our GM to continue to improve the team between now and the deadline.

This

I think in the East only Boston is ahead of us and I'd say with the depth they lost they aren't THAT much better. PIT is on our level.

In the west, Chicago, LA and STL are slightly above us. I see Colorado leveling out soon, great offense but their defense/goaltending is playing very above expectations.

As of now I'd put us on Par with Vancouver, Detroit, Minny and SJ in terms of chances to win the cup, very good teams, just do we have that extra oomph/player that puts us above the favourites?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This team, the core especially, is ridiculously young. In a few years probably.

We're Prime young, not prospect young. Everyone in our lineup is about 23-29, while say Edmonton's top 6 is made up of 19-23 year olds. Very big difference.

Everyone minus maybe Kadri is hitting or about to hit their prime, Kadri and Rielly will improve as we go along the next couple years.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
What if we pick up a top 4 pairing D-man for a 1st + prospect by the deadline. Or a center with a similar skill set as Jeff Carter?

Now are we a serious team?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
This

I think in the East only Boston is ahead of us and I'd say with the depth they lost they aren't THAT much better. PIT is on our level.

In the west, Chicago, LA and STL are slightly above us. I see Colorado leveling out soon, great offense but their defense/goaltending is playing very above expectations.

As of now I'd put us on Par with Vancouver, Detroit, Minny and SJ in terms of chances to win the cup, very good teams, just do we have that extra oomph/player that puts us above the favourites?
agree with all except SJ.. they are much better than us imo

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
What if we pick up a top 4 pairing D-man for a 1st + prospect by the deadline. Or a center with a similar skill set as Jeff Carter?

I just dont see it happening with the cap this year, we're too close to the cap which means someone like Bozak would have to go the other way.

it would have to be like a Bozak+Gardiner for say a Stastny or Carter or whoever.

But the problem with that is, if your team is playing really well, why bother taking out a piece like Gardiner?

I think we may pick up someone in the offseason however, to really put us over the top, imagine getting like a dan girardi?

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Really good question especially considering our overflowing D prospect pool. One or two of Finn/Percy/Blacker/MacWilliam will be available along with a pick or two at the deadline and should reel in a nice rental piece if we're still contending by the deadline.

leafer88*

The thing that I think that is stopping the leafs from being legit contenders is the defence. I don't personally care about the shots that they allow. But i do care about puck possession. The longer the other team has the puck the more tired you D gets and then they are more prone to mistakes. It also gives us less opportunities to our forwards. This in turn means that they have to convert almost all there chances they get. Puck possession also creates momentum and such. I think if we improve there we would be dangerous especially because our transition game is already lethal. The other thing that prevents us from being contenders is our breakout. The turnovers will cost us and we can expect Bernier/Reims to stop all of them.

Big Papa Cheese

Sep 25, 2013
:yo::help:Have you watched us play at all this season? we havent had one game that would make me consider us even close to a cup contender lol. is this a serious thread? maybe if bernier and reimer have save percentages around .975 we could win the cup? lol:handclap:

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
The Leafs actually match up very well with Boston and Pittsburgh in the event of a playoff series. Not sure about Detroit, that remains to be seen.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I just dont see it happening with the cap this year, we're too close to the cap which means someone like Bozak would have to go the other way.

it would have to be like a Bozak+Gardiner for say a Stastny or Carter or whoever.

But the problem with that is, if your team is playing really well, why bother taking out a piece like Gardiner?

I think we may pick up someone in the offseason however, to really put us over the top, imagine getting like a dan girardi?

Ahh right- the damn cap. However, if such a deal was in the works you'd imagine we'd try to make space somehow but you're right.

I would be ecstatic if we signed Girardi. Always thought he was a tank

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
we're in the "if our goaltending is awesome, we can beat anyone" second tier. (a team like Chicago only needs goaltending competence for the Cup. we need excellence.)

and it's hard not to like our chances at getting the great goaltending so far!

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

They are not legitimate contenders for the cup, but they're better than the playoff bubble (or playoff missing) team that some of the non-leafs fans insist.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Tier 1: The 4 elite (until proven otherwise)

LA
Pitsburgh
Chicago
Boston

Tier 2:

St Louis
San Jose
Detroit
Toronto
Vancouver

We belong in that tier IMO. We have a very similar team to St.Louis in terms of depth and similar to san Jose in terms of offence.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Tier 1: The 4 elite (until proven otherwise)

LA
Pitsburgh
Chicago
Boston

Tier 2:

St Louis
San Jose
Detroit
Toronto
Vancouver

We belong in that tier IMO. We have a very similar team to St.Louis in terms of depth and similar to san Jose in terms of offence.

Personally, I'd add Ottawa and Anaheim to the Tier 2 list. Maybe move Vancouver to a tier 3 list with teams like Montreal, Rangers, imo.

At the end of the day, any team that makes the playoffs can win a cup. Some teams are more favourable to win it than others.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010

No, no, no.

#1 - Trading firsts away is what got us into a prolonged playoff drought. Trade other picks if you must... but not the 1st rounder. That's how you keep a prospect cupboard full. I'm not saying that only 1st rounders pan out and all other picks suck.. but they have the best chance of panning out.

#2 - Jeff Carter is a shooter.. why the **** would you place him on a line with two other shooters (JVR + Kessel)?

I swear it's like some folks have completely forgotten how we ended up in such a **** state not that long ago.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's 7 games, folks. Relax.

This team is not a cup contender.

This team will not be a playoff contender if play in our own end doesn't improve.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Really good question especially considering our overflowing D prospect pool. One or two of Finn/Percy/Blacker/MacWilliam will be available along with a pick or two at the deadline and should reel in a nice rental piece if we're still contending by the deadline.

Please, just crawl into a corner and never come back, member of the teachers pension fund you must be.

Move youth or picks at the TD? time we learned our lesson on that,no?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
We'll see around games 30-40. Defence has to tighten up a bit. Right now we are a good team, but far from being a great team. But things are looking up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->