Are the Leafs legit contenders? Carlyle comments on play.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
As I said, I think this year could be our best chance going for the cup. Next year with all those salary cap issues, I don't think we can keep the same team and depth, even if the cap does go up.

If this is our best chance at the Cup, we are in trouble. If anything, this should be the first of 5 or 6.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
If they fix the problem with giveaways, being constantly outplayed and play well as a team, then they can be considered legit.

They still lack a top centre but so long as Schmozak's here that won't change. :(

They still need a top d-man who can take the pressure off Phaneuf. Maybe Franson is developing into that type of player.

Disgruntled Observer*

Yep...
The leafs are legit cup contenders.

IF

our goaltending can continue bailing us out and putting up save percentages of .960% and GGA under 1.

Otherwise, the leafs are just a decent team with a GREAT early record due to exceptionally strong goaltending to start the season.

That being said, our team is still very young and we should definitely be excited with what we're seeing.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
If they fix the problem with giveaways, being constantly outplayed and play well as a team, then they can be considered legit.

They still lack a top centre but so long as Schmozak's here that won't change. :(

They still need a top d-man who can take the pressure off Phaneuf. Maybe Franson is developing into that type of player.
can you explain what they are lacking in having TB between the first line wingers please

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We are fourth in goals scoring per game... More offence isn't needed at this point. I'm not certain a legitimate#1C is that big of a deal. Bozak has historically been good in Faceoffs, so what he brings is good enough. Kadri and Bolland need to improve in the dot, more than an improvement in #1C.

Tighten up the giveaways, improve in the dot, keep the PK, PP going at their current rate, the generally fantastic goaltending, along with 5 on 5 scoring, and yes they could be a contender, though that is a tall order.

Winning 50% of the faceoffs, and we'll cut down on shots on goal by a few, and won't be chasing as much. Same with the giveaways.

Last edited:

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
We have played like balls and are lucky to be 6-1-0 tbh. Really happy with the start, but they need to pull up their socks. I think once we are healthy, a better analysis of the team can be made.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yes, they are.

Heck they were legit contenders last year.....at least once they ditched crap like kostka and holzer for talent like gardiner, and dropped plugs like mclaren and fraser out of the lineup.

We were dead even with the bruins, regular season and playoffs. That was no fluke.

And this year we're better.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We have proven three things:

-We get good goaltending
-We can score 3 goals per game.
-Our defense, though inconsistent, doesn't give up too many quality chances.

If our defense can tighten up, we can go on a run without a doubt. I have no doubt Bernier is the kind of goalie that takes his game to a whole different level in the playoffs.

Palmateer

Routine kick save
Jan 27, 2012
Playoff team: Yes
Solid Playoff team: Yes
Stanley Cup contenders: Yes
Stanley Cup favourites: No

My opinion isn't based off our play so far, but rather the talent on our roster, the closeness of the players, the strength of our goaltending, the experience of our coach, and the willingness of our GM to continue to improve the team between now and the deadline.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
We're definitely contenders but not favorites. It feels like their is a fear of finally being able to believe in this Leafs group but we're now a good team as evidenced by last year and even the season before when we were a top team for half a season (but than ran into goaltending issues).

With parity created by the salary cap even the favorites aren't head and shoulders above everyone else like they once were.

Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh are the favorites in the East but we can still give those teams a good run.

Boston: We took them to 7 last year.

Pittsburgh: Have top end talent but lack depth and Fluery is a a major question mark

Detroit: Veteran roster that could start to wear down by the Olympics. Zetterberg, Alfie, Kronwall, Datsyuk, Frazen are all likely to play in the Olympics which might catch up to them cause of age. I also think their blueline lacks depth.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yep...
The leafs are legit cup contenders.

IF

our goaltending can continue bailing us out and putting up save percentages of .960% and GGA under 1.

Otherwise, the leafs are just a decent team with a GREAT early record due to exceptionally strong goaltending to start the season.

That being said, our team is still very young and we should definitely be excited with what we're seeing.

The leafs are winning at a 137pt pace so far. They can fall off quite a bit from that and still be contenders. They don't have to keep winning at this rate.

And the team save percentage is .934, not .960. It will come down to the .920 rang eventually, but right now a .920sv% would only mean 3 or 4 more goals allowed so far.

Team save % so far:

1.COL .972
2.MTL .947
3.BOS .944
4.SJS .936
5.TOR .934
6.OTT .929
7.DET .928
8.BUF .927
9.CLM .923
10.NYI .919

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And kadri was the 12th highest scoring center in hockey last year at age 22. He's the 7th highest scoring center in hockey right now at age 23.

We have a #1 center.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think we're too inexperienced, but our talent level and depth are right up there.

I think the shots thing will get better as the season goes on. Let's keep in mind despite the 6-1 record we've yet to ice our full lineup.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
With this lineup we should be contenders.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Brodie - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Franson - Gardiner
Rielly - Fraser
Ranger

Bernier
Reimer

So far there is only one game in the season where i thought we should have won and that was against Nashville. We could easily be a 1-6 team as opposed to 6-1 but we managed to win games because of Bernier and Reimer (against the Wild). With our depth upfront when we are healthy hopefully we do not have to rely on our goalies so much because sooner or later they are going to have bad games and the forwards need to pick them up like they did against Ottawa and Edmonton.

I like our forwards and i like our goaltending when healthy. I am not sold on our D; we have immense potential on the back end but i do not like the trade talks of moving Gardiner or a D. In my opinion i rather add a D then trade one away. Phaneuf's time seems to be managed more carefully so his play is giving us much more quality as players like Franson, Gardiner, Gunnarson and even Rielly are logging more minutes. They are not perfect as they need to work on some things but having those guys play more minutes is only going to help. IMO i do not think Ranger is playing that well and in a healthy lineup he is my 7th D with Fraser back in the lineup. Ranger does some things well but he is a #6 or 7 D-man and there is nothing wrong with that; the Leafs need that from him. Fraser and Rielly are not going to be perfect so having them battle for a spot is only going to help.

When healthy i REALLY like how this team stacks up with the best of them. Its amazing we can have 6 wins with half of the forward group being an AHL team. Hopefully this is indicative of Carlyle's system where we can keep winning and play a better team game when JVR, Clarkson and Kulemin return. We really can make some noise if we get to the playoffs (and i would be shocked if we did not).

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Really hate when people say we only win because of the goalies. Are you kidding me? Last I checked they were part of the team, not to mention the people *****ing about it now were the same ones *****ing when we didn't have goalies that could steal wins for us.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
And kadri was the 12th highest scoring center in hockey last year at age 22. He's the 7th highest scoring center in hockey right now at age 23.

We have a #1 center.

since you are a stats guy here's one. #1 centers don't average 15 minutes a game there up more at 19-20 so clearly Carlyle disagrees with you.

as for the question the last 3 Stanley Cup champs ended the season in the top 2 of GAA at the end of the regular season proving offense wins games but Defense wins championships, we haven't been a top 10 team in defense in a while, so until we do that which I don't think will happen this year were not legit contenders imo. you can outscore your problems in the regular season as proven by teams like Washington and Pittsburgh in recent years but defense takes you deep into the playoffs, like LA and Boston has shown over the last couple of years.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
as for the question the last 3 Stanley Cup champs ended the season in the top 2 of GAA at the end of the regular season proving offense wins games but Defense wins championships, we haven't been a top 10 team in defense in a while, so until we do that which I don't think will happen this year were not legit contenders imo. you can outscore your problems in the regular season as proven by teams like Washington and Pittsburgh in recent years but defense takes you deep into the playoffs, like LA and Boston has shown over the last couple of years.

LA, Boston and Pittsburgh's Cups were more of a product of huge performance of their goalies in PO. I think we will easily get by with D we have if our goal-tending stays hot / extremely reliable.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
LA, Boston and Pittsburgh's Cups were more of a product of huge performance of their goalies in PO. I think we will easily get by with D we have if our goal-tending stays hot / extremely reliable.

Agreed, they're both important.

I don't get why winning a game because your goalie played great is "unreliable and unsustainable", while winning because your top defensive pairing played great is "the right way to win".

As for us being cup contenders it's hard to say. I don't think we're a powerhouse team but we can make the playoffs, and once that happens anything can happen really.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We have played 7 games and none with our full lineup.

I liked our team before the start of the season and I see nothing thus far to change my mind.

People must remember that we have 3 D man who were not regulars last year in our line up and two who did not play for us at all. We also have one who is injured who played all season. Our D will only get better as they learn the system and trust their playing partners reads under the system. We also have so many new forwards who have not played the D zone system as well, and the forwards are more involved in the D zone system then on many teams.

Lets re look at this thread at the 40 game mark when we are healthy and playing better as a unit.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
we haven't been a top 10 team in defense in a while, so until we do that which I don't think will happen this year were not legit contenders imo. you can outscore your problems in the regular season as proven by teams like Washington and Pittsburgh in recent years but defense takes you deep into the playoffs, like LA and Boston has shown over the last couple of years.

You do realize that we ARE top ten in GAA so far this year, seventh to be exact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->