Are the Leafs better or worse this year than last year?

Are the Leafs better or worse than last year?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you told me they’d add Tavares and Muzzin I’d say they would have gotten better.
But they’re actually quite a bit worse. They’re about a .500 team since Jan 1st.
Take too many nights and big chunks of games off. Definitely have the offensive talent but they’re missing something this year.
Could turn the switch on in the playoffs and all will be forgotten. But I think that’s pretty unlikely given the length of time they’ve played mediocre hockey.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
They're a better team. I'm confident they will pick it up come playoff time. Gardiner is missed and hope his fully healed fore the playoffs. Andersen shitting the bed again in the playoffs does scare me though. Never been sold on him and think he's always been tad overrated.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
They're better on paper and in terms of shot metrics but worse in terms of points, record and goal differential.

Last season:

49-26-7 (105 points)
+45
SAT%: 17th
SAT% close: 19th

This season:

46-27-7 (99 points in 80 games)
+38
SAT%: 9th
SAT% close: 7th

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They're a better team talent wise other than between the pipes but for some reason too many of them just don't put in the effort on a regular basis and it's troubling. They may end up having to send the message that if you want to play here, then play here or adios. The efforts often comes off as a group that feels they're untouchable and the best cure for that is to touch one( spare me the weirdo takes on that you freaks, :laugh:) and gauge the response. What's really strange is how quickly they went from a hard working team to the nonchalant version often on display this season. It simply isn't good enough.

I would need an option like "more talented but less effective" in order to cast a vote.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I think they're more talented but worse. Matthews and Nylander have taken significant dives this year imo. I think they'll bounce back but they just don't have it.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Better on paper but haven’t gelled like they should have at this point in the season

Reactions: Canucks LB

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Its a bit more complicated.

It took a long time for the full team, to even be together, and that didn't last long.
They should've been even better, but they haven't

They will never be successful, until they find a way to have a killer instinct, losing or getting behind as they did
to lesser teams, is inexcusible. I really think they believe their press clippings, and want to skill their way through.
Also ran to some absolutely unconscious goaltending, and don't draw penalties.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
On paper it is a better team, especially when you factor internal improvement. They have not yet become equal to their parts. This team needs to gel yesterday because Boston is not going to feel bad for them.

Reactions: Vaporwave

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Better but not playing like it yet. Way too unfocused. When playing like they CAN, they can easily give Tampa a run for the money. Problem is they often don't play like they CAN.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If you told me they’d add Tavares and Muzzin I’d say they would have gotten better.
But they’re actually quite a bit worse. They’re about a .500 team since Jan 1st.
Take too many nights and big chunks of games off. Definitely have the offensive talent but they’re missing something this year.
Could turn the switch on in the playoffs and all will be forgotten. But I think that’s pretty unlikely given the length of time they’ve played mediocre hockey.

That will be the question. In the first year vs Washington suddenly in the playoffs they became far more disciplined. Last year they were Jekkyl and Hyde in the playoffs. This year, who knows. What's weird is that despite the constant going down 2 or 3 goals and huge full period lapses, they managed to be 2nd best for wins (1st for win % leading after 2) when leading after 2 (only 2 behind Tampa) and 1st for losses when leading after 2 (with zero regulation losses). You'd think those numbers would be different given their nature. Hard team to read this year.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Statistically they were a better team last year, even though they look better on paper this year. So I guess I’ll vote for them last year.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Better offensively than last season, and better looking on paper, but for a few reasons (unrelated to the new additions), they just aren't playing as well as last season. A lot of it has to do with a general lack effort in a lot of games, which I blame the players and coaches for, but definitely moreso the coaches.

Which brings me to Babcock; while a very good coach, has some glaring flaws in his system, and because he's so stubborn, it really brings down the team when his gameplan stops working.

When everything works, and the team plays with a real level of effort, they're a pretty great team, but this is all coming together much less often than it should be, especially of late. While I'm excited for the playoffs, I'm sure this series will be frustrating from a Leafs PoV, whether they win or lose.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I thought the Leafs would be better than last year just with the Tavares addition. They seem no better on defence, no better on left winger thanks to Marleau decline. And they worse at right winger despite Marner's heroics. The return of Nylander has been a disaster. It's messed up the lines and chemistry, and factually Nylander has been really poor .

Surprisingly the Bruins just keep getting better. Right now, the Leafs can't beat the Bruins.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Better on paper but haven’t gelled like they should have at this point in the season

This is where I'm at. On paper, they're obviously better. But collectively as a team, especially in terms of consistent effort in all 200 feet of the rink, I'm not so sure.

Big test will be versus Boston in the playoffs.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I thought the Leafs would be better than last year just with the Tavares addition. They seem no better on defence, no better on left winger thanks to Marleau decline. And they worse at right winger despite Marner's heroics. The return of Nylander has been a disaster. It's messed up the lines and chemistry, and factually Nylander has been really poor .

Surprisingly the Bruins just keep getting better. Right now, the Leafs can't beat the Bruins.

Actually on par for his production for the entire year. I guess that's more on assists, and I can really see his agility this
season.

The 2nd bolded is WAYY over stated. Expect it to be closer than you think.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They have performed roughly the same but with far worse goaltending overall, that is the only reason they aren't a clearly better team. Didn't help with Nylander sitting out and not playing well for quite a while after his return, and some overall defensive issues, but if Andersen and everyone is healthy in a few weeks I guarantee we will give Boston a tough go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->