Are the Knicks the closest sports comparison to the Leafs?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Please tell me the players the Knicks have that are comparable to Matthews, Tavares, and Marner. The Knicks are like Edmonton in regard to free agency. Nobody wants to go there. The Knicks never have the talent to go anywhere. The Leafs have elite talent, they just don't have the heart to go anywhere.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Lol look at how many Leafs topics are in the main NHL board. Even though we're the laughing stock of the league, we're still the #1 team in terms of popularity whether they love us, hate us, and whether we suck or not - EVERYONE *always* talks about the Leafs. Even when another team wins the cup, the conversation in the main board will still somehow be about the Leafs lol.

Imagine being a Blue Jackets fan, or Senators fan, or Wild fan - you'll be hard-pressed to find ANY topics about them outside of their own forum sections. But Toronto? Absolutely everywhere in here lol.

Leafs might suck but no other team compares in league-wide popularity - at least they are #1 at something ;)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Compared to any other sports team in any other league, I'd say the Knicks too. Too many similarities. I think in terms of the NFL the Leafs are more like the New York Jets.

I do compare the Celtics to the Habs like I do with the Packers and Yankees.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Has to be the Cowboys. Huge media focus, lofty predictions that never pan out, arrogant fans, very popular, embarrassing failures.

The only major difference is the Cowboys won in the 90s but over the last 20 years they’ve been very similar

Reactions: snipes

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Tottenham Hotspur.

Had their golden age during the 60's and every season they had a chance to qualify to the Champions League they choked and ended 5th, 6th or 7th place. Then when they finally got over that hump and got into the Champions League, they choked every year in that competition instead. And the year all the big rivals were bad, they still couldn't win the league and even ended up below their biggest rivals in Arsenal.

Reaching the final by outscoring City away from home isn't choking though.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Reaching the final by outscoring City away from home isn't choking though.
Sh*tty is the only team who's even a bigger choker in European Cup games than Tottenham but Sh*tty can at least win domestic trophies.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Lol look at how many Leafs topics are in the main NHL board. Even though we're the laughing stock of the league, we're still the #1 team in terms of popularity whether they love us, hate us, and whether we suck or not - EVERYONE *always* talks about the Leafs. Even when another team wins the cup, the conversation in the main board will still somehow be about the Leafs lol.

Imagine being a Blue Jackets fan, or Senators fan, or Wild fan - you'll be hard-pressed to find ANY topics about them outside of their own forum sections. But Toronto? Absolutely everywhere in here lol.

Leafs might suck but no other team compares in league-wide popularity - at least they are #1 at something ;)

It is what it is. People can say that the Original 6 thing is overrated, but I think it's fair to say that the Rangers, Maple Leafs, Canadians and Blackhawks are the most talked about teams...at least on HFBoards.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Chicago Cubs are very similar, but the Leafs aren't quite that bad yet. It's hard to believe that they went 108 years without a championship, the Leafs are at 54, so they're only half way there.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
That's also true. At least the Maple Leafs make the playoffs. The Knicks don't even get that far (excluding this year). And up until recently, it was the same playoff format: the top 8 teams per conference.
how has toronto been a regular in the playoffs compared to the knicks? since 05/06 the knicks have made the playoffs 4 times and the leafs have made it 6 times. both made it this year. both were very good from the 90s to early 2000s without ever getting over the hump.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
but they don't.
Everyone is on the playoffs, where you never what you'll get
They don't suck, you'll see next regular season.

No Leafs fan in existence should give one tenth of a shit about the regular season at this point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Knicks have actually sucked the last 20 years. The Leafs have had a lot of good teams, they just can't do anything in the playoffs, but it's not like they've sucked for a long time like the Knicks. The Knicks are like the Panthers in terms of team accomplishments in the last 20 years or so.

As far as fanbases are concerned, the Cowboys are the perfect comparison. Loud to the point of being obnoxious from a certain segment of the fanbase, overrating their team and players year after year, they can be found all over the country and they invade opposing stadiums/arenas in massive numbers moreso than any other fanbase. I think the one difference might be that the Cowboys have more fairweather fans, Leafs fans are loyal to a fault.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yes.

Personally I don't really have any ill-will or whatever towards the Leafs and I think most of that is because Hockey in general doesn't move the needle much in the states on the sports shows. But yes, the comparison is appropriate from the large market to the championship drought to the constant media attention to the fans and so on.

Perhaps my biggest gripe with teams like the Knicks, Leafs, Lakers, Yankees (the "big" teams) is the constant narrative that these teams being good is good for the sports world. No its good for the media markets that cover them, fans of other teams don't give a f***. Ask a Utah Jazz fan right now if they shed any tears last night for the Lakers, most likely the answer is hell no.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
how has toronto been a regular in the playoffs compared to the knicks? since 05/06 the knicks have made the playoffs 4 times and the leafs have made it 6 times. both made it this year. both were very good from the 90s to early 2000s without ever getting over the hump.

Maple Leafs have made the playoffs every year since 2017 (with the exception of 2020). With the exception of this year, the Knicks haven't made the playoffs since 2012.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yes.

Personally I don't really have any ill-will or whatever towards the Leafs and I think most of that is because Hockey in general doesn't move the needle much in the states on the sports shows. But yes, the comparison is appropriate from the large market to the championship drought to the constant media attention to the fans and so on.

Perhaps my biggest gripe with teams like the Knicks, Leafs, Lakers, Yankees (the "big" teams) is the constant narrative that these teams being good is good for the sports world. No its good for the media markets that cover them, fans of other teams don't give a f***. Ask a Utah Jazz fan right now if they shed any tears last night for the Lakers, most likely the answer is hell no.

Correct; you hear it constantly from the media because it's good for the media.

If you talk to fans of these teams (real fans, not bandwagoner scum) they'll likely tell you they couldn't care less about media hype and that they just care about the team itself. I've never actually met a Cowboys fan that gives a shit about Stephen A. Smith shitting down their team's throat; honestly, most of the Cowboys fans I've met were level-headed people that are sick of Jerry Jones doing what he does.

Reactions: HisIceness

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Tottenham Hotspur.

Had their golden age during the 60's and every season they had a chance to qualify to the Champions League they choked and ended 5th, 6th or 7th place. Then when they finally got over that hump and got into the Champions League, they choked every year in that competition instead. And the year all the big rivals were bad, they still couldn't win the league and even ended up below their biggest rivals in Arsenal.

??? WTF is this? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad