Are the Flames Legit?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Why do people question the goaltending? Mike Smith probably will regress a bit during the season, but he's been known to be lights out in the playoffs... which is where it maters.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why do people question the goaltending? Mike Smith probably will regress a bit during the season, but he's been known to be lights out in the playoffs... which is where it maters.

Elliots collapse is still fresh in peoples mind. Calgary literally had the worst case scenario with goaltending.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They're the Flames. I'm happy for them, but don't think they'll do much damage in the playoffs.

Their goaltending is really suspect. Can't rely on Mike Smith when it matters.

What? Smith has a .945 in 17 playoff starts. He's been reliable when it matters.

If you mean he's had trouble keeping the puck out of the net this season, that's partially true, he's underperformed earlier in the season. Yet somehow the Flames have the sixth-best GAA in the NHL. The only playoff teams with better GAA are Nashville, Dallas, and Boston. And even Smith, who had a brutal start to his season, has in his last eight starts:

.927 SV%
6-2-0 record
1.84 GAA

Something people forget is that the Flames have played this season with a brand new coach, and a pretty overhauled blueline featuring FOUR guys 22 or younger (Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington). This is a scenario ripe for having defensive breakdowns, and even then early on the biggest issue was simply routine saves not being made by Smith. Now he has started to make routine saves and is playing with confidence. He's not the first goalie to have a slump during the season. Last year Holtby had a forgettable regular season. The year before, Fleury had a regular season that wasn't all that great.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Calgary had a Vasilevskiy we'd be right with Tampa IMO. They have a bit more firepower through the line-up, but I like our top 6 d-men more.

Future looks super bright with Hanifin, Ras, Kylington and Vali all 20-22 years old, our top line all signed long-term + Tkachuk (he'll get signed, not worried) all being young.

Just no goalie in the foreseeable future, we think we have one (Gillies) then he sucks, then we think we have one (Parsons) and he is playing bad in the AHL. Rittich is still too green to know if he could be the future or not, but right now that's the only question mark.

Flames will live and die with Mike Smith, no problem with other fans making the same conclusion. Elite playoff goalie Mike Smith Flames fans are posting is from how many years ago, like I have no doubt he can elevate himself when it counts, but based on this year I am skeptical. Just when we thought he was turning the corner he lets that softie in last night which can't happen in the playoffs.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
1st round exit especially if they face the sharks who are just cruising the regular season. Real sharks team will show up in playoffs
Hope so, because the real Sharks can't win anything, so that would be good then!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think they are. Good forward group, good defensive group as well. If they can get the goaltending figured out they'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Need to see more of the season play out but if they are/were a contending team, this is how their first 30 games would look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad