Are the Flames Legit?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
After beating the top seed stanley cup contending Nashville Predators easily, the Flames are now FIRST place in the west, and just 7 points back of first overall with a game in hand. Only 3 teams have scored more goals than them. Are they legitimate cup contenders?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yup. Clearly a top team in the league. A great D core and a great overall offense ( 5 ppg players is dang impressive). Biggest question is which Mike Smith you get?

Reactions: Danythegod

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
They're the Flames. I'm happy for them, but don't think they'll do much damage in the playoffs.

Their goaltending is really suspect. Can't rely on Mike Smith when it matters.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They're the Flames. I'm happy for them, but don't think they'll do much damage in the playoffs.

The leafs are in a different boat in terms of doing damage in the playoffs?

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think they will regress but I still think they are in that 2nd tier of contenders with Toronto, Boston, Colorado.

In my opinion they are definitely in a tier below Tampa and Nashville in the big picture.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

They’re the Leafs. I’m happy for them, but I don’t think they’ll do much damage in the playoffs.

Their defense is really suspect. Can’t rely on Matthews when it matters.

See how silly it sounds?

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
They’re the Leafs. I’m happy for them, but I don’t think they’ll do much damage in the playoffs.

Their defense is really suspect. Can’t rely on Matthews when it matters.

See how silly it sounds?

The difference is that you can rely on Matthews. He's on a goal per game run. He also shows up when he needs to most of the time. There's a big gulf between him and Smith. Or Andersen and Smith.

I just hope that they'll somehow find a defenceman or two before the playoffs.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Weak goal-tending often gets exposed in the playoffs. If Treliving gets a legit starter then yes I think they are legit contenders.
But I dont think he will so I say no - they arent legit and they will be bounced in round one.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'd say yes, but more then anything it looks like their time.

At worst you have a top 4 or 5 team in the West.

Competing for 1st in the West and a Stanley cup is dependent on a variety of factors obviously, including goaltending, health and consistent play of their top players. If Monahan, Tkachuck and Lindholm are 80 point players vs 65 that is a big difference obviously as well. They are all peaking at the same time it seems.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I've been talking about the Flames all year and i think they're legitimately a good team. Just the other day i was comparing their best possible lineup vs the Wild's best possible lineup, Minnesota is a good team that makes the playoffs every year and comparing it mano to mano i thought the Flames had a slightly better roster, even taking into consideration Neal's regression possibly being a permanent thing.

Playoffs is a different story and you always need something special to make a deep run, but if the top 6 continues to perform, Neal finds his game and shows up for the post-season with big goals, guys like Jankowski and Hanifin find another gear and Smith plays lights out like he has in the playoffs in the past they are a serious candidate for WCF run and then anything is possible.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Weak goal-tending often gets exposed in the playoffs. If Treliving gets a legit starter then yes I think they are legit contenders.
But I dont think he will so I say no - they arent legit and they will be bounced in round one.

I hope

Fixed your post

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If by "legit" you mean a top team in the NHL, then yes. But if by "legit" you mean "has a legitimate shot at winning the Stanley Cup", then no. The Flames need a lot more playoff experience before they can make a deep run.

Regardless, this is an unbelievably entertaining team to watch. I didn't realise how bad I was suffering through two years of boring-ass Glen Gulutzan hockey. This top line is on fire.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
The difference is that you can rely on Matthews. He's on a goal per game run. He also shows up when he needs to most of the time. There's a big gulf between him and Smith. Or Andersen and Smith.

How so? Matthews playoff numbers are less than stellar.

I can make the exact same claim.

But I won’t becuae what happen in the past is just that, the past.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Rely on him for what?
Ghosting when it counts?
Getting hurt?
Can't even rely on him to score 70 points.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Flames will get as far as their goaltending takes them. With that said make the right move at the right time to ensure it's as far as a championship

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
If by "legit" you mean a top team in the NHL, then yes. But if by "legit" you mean "has a legitimate shot at winning the Stanley Cup", then no. The Flames need a lot more playoff experience before they can make a deep run.

Regardless, this is an unbelievably entertaining team to watch. I didn't realise how bad I was suffering through two years of boring-ass Glen Gulutzan hockey. This top line is on fire.
Sort of like Las Vegas had last year?

Seems like a good take.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Rely on him for what?
Ghosting when it counts?
Getting hurt?
Can't even rely on him to score 70 points.

You're funny. If his arm hadn't been accordioned into his shoulder, he'd be on pace for one hell of a season...and still is considering.

I'd rather the Flames win the Cup over almost any team. They're the ONLY Canadian team I like. But they're not that good yet. They don't have a true superstar, and don't have a goalie.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’d just like to point out that Mike Smith has a career 1.88 GAA and .945 save percentage in the playoffs in 19 games.

Obviously he’s been crazy up and down in the regular season, but any time he’s made it to the dance (twice) he’s been great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad