Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by MrSnrub, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJJones

DJJones Registered User

Need a goalie bad. Smith is garbage

Duffalufagus, Bleedred and Sk8M8 like this.
  2. Tyrolean

Tyrolean Registered User

Flames going to die in the 1st round.

3. Areid1990

Areid1990 Registered User

They need to dump Smith.. He's cost us probably 6 to 8 points this year. If they have to go with him at all in the playoffs we aren't going anywhere. It's to this point it's a guarantee he lets in 1 or 2 floaters a game.. like he did tonight.

Bleedred likes this.
  4. crackdown44

crackdown44 Cold milk cools down hot food

There’s no reason to pay to dump Smith. Yeah he’s trash but he’s a UFA on an expiring contract. Just ride Rittich and see what he’s made of, get a solid backup if he’s the man or 1a/1b situation going in the summer

5. PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion

Hmmm if goaltending is an issue I wonder if the Flames could be interested in Smith and a pick for Anderson. Andy has an extra year so don’t know if that’s a problem but he has played pretty damn good all season up until this injury. He could be a good fail safe option.

6. Dack

Dack Registered User

Nah PDO

P - On ice
    D - shooting
    O Percentage

I just looked at on ice shooting percentage we are 4th all situations and 11th at even strength so no we don't lead the league in PDO even if you erase half of what PDO is and act like having horrific goaltending is a plus.

crackdown44 likes this.
  7. blankall

blankall Registered User

So the Flames add an extra year of bad goaltender contract.. And add the pick?

Possibly the worst option out there. Anderson will be 38 in May and is on back to back bad seasons.

The Flames need to get a good backup this year and then make a play for a solid young starter next off season.

8. JetsFan815

JetsFan815 :(

Here's my prediction: Sam Bennett will cause the Flames to lose a key game in the playoffs at a critical moment by taking a bad penalty, I don't know when or against whom but I am certain that that guy is going to take a very costly penalty in the playoffs. The guy is a ticking timebomb.

9. JPeeper

JPeeper Hail Satan!

Not sure if serious, if anything Bennett will win a game by himself. Bennett has been our best playoff player in both playoffs he has been in.

10. Galladin

Galladin Registered User

Bring back Kipper and let’s redo the 2004 Bolts - Flames final!

11. Bleedred

Bleedred Make a frickin save

Carpenter
    Smith doesn't even just let in ''Stoppable goals'' he lets in some disgraceful, garbage softies.

If you made a top-10 or top-12 of softest goals allowed so far this season, 4 or 5 of Smith's would probably be in that list.

I don't think he'd be the first, Derek Stepan's dump in goal on Condon from the opposite blue line and Drew Stafford's goal on Martin Jones would probably both be ahead. I'm sure (forgot who it was exactly) that goal that Cory Schneider allowed to Vegas the last time he played would also be up there, but Smith has been horrific. Matt Murray also allowed a really hilarious one to Brooks Orpik on opening night.

The John Moore goal last night was TRASH. That last goal (I think it was?) was also buttery soft.

I think Smith leads my ''Stoppable goals per game/stoppable goals per goals allowed percentage'' count this year. He isn't leading the league, but there's two reasons for that. He doesn't get scored on A LOT because he doesn't face a lot of shots and he also hasn't played much of late. He's been a backup the last month or a little more.

I actually was surprised to see him play two nights in a row. I was thinking ''Was Rittich really demoted to backup again after that Sharks game?'' then I saw he was unavailable.

goku420 likes this.
  12. PeterSidorkiewicz

Fair enough if he doesn’t fit into the Flames plans because of that extra year but you obviously haven’t watched Anderson this season. He has played very well. I have to imagine he’s a big upgrade over Smith and I was thinking of a realistic option out there maybe.

I figured he could be a good option if the Flames needed goaltending and were looking to make a run for this season. Sounds like it’s not a good fit though.

Bando likes this.
  13. PsYcNeT

PsYcNeT The No-Fun Zone Sponsor

Rittich is DTD with an LBI. Not much info but he could be back tomorrow, or early next week (dear god I hope so).

Bleedred likes this.
  14. Bleedred

Carpenter
    I think Anderson's second year on his contract might scare the Flames away from making that deal, but it would be good for them if he didn't have an extra year left.

Sakic would probably pop a champagne bottle if that trade brought Smith back to Ottawa.:laugh:

15. PeterSidorkiewicz

Oh we are finishing dead last or close to it no matter who is in net. That's what happens when you give up 40-50SOG a game. :laugh:

Anyway, I would love to see the Flames grab a cup this year, and seeing a guy like Andy help them would be awesome (selfishly for me too). So good luck!

Bleedred likes this.
  16. Bleedred

Carpenter
    In my project I've been doing in reviewing every goal against on every goalie, Anderson actually leads the league in stoppable goals, but here's the thing.

He doesn't lead in stoppable goal percentage. Not even close. Mike Smith has him beat by A LOT, despite allowing fewer stoppable goals than Anderson on the season.

This is like GAA. A high GAA goalie isn't necessarily worse than the goalie with a lower GAA, unless they play on the same team.

That's how many shots Anderson faces, how many games he plays (I think he led the league in games and minutes before his recent injury and in shots faced/saves as well) and Smith doesn't get scored on as much, due to not facing a lot of shots.

Out of goalies that have played 20 or more games, Smith probably has the percentage my by count. Jake Allen isn't far behind. Cam Talbot and James Reimer have also been pretty bad. There's a few others like Hutchinson, Schneider, Darling and Sparks who are higher, but haven't played many games.

PeterSidorkiewicz likes this.
  17. PeterSidorkiewicz

That's some pretty interesting stuff. From all of the stats I have seen like those quadrant maps it usually has Anderson pegged slightly below average on the season, but I kinda disagree with that with my eye test assessment. I think he has done fairly well given the circumstances and the absolute ridiculous amount of not only shots, but high danger shots we give up. I know the maps take that into account, but I think it is still slightly off.

I have only watched Smith a tiny amount, but he seems to be having an off year for sure, he was very streaky in Arizona and has always had consistency problems IMO, but when he's hot he can do some damage. Just doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. He might just be a backup kinda guy.

To the bolded, I completely agree.

Bleedred likes this.
  18. madmike77

madmike77 Registered User

Smith has played just over half of the Flames' minutes, but he's realistically no longer the starter. When healthy, Rittich is now getting most of the time.

Rittich is a first-year starter though (in the NHL at least) and likely can't be relied on for crazy minutes, so the Flames need a 1B option. Smith would be fine as a backup getting around 20 starts a year, but he's not fine as a 1B. The Flames need to find a better option to go along with Rittich.

19. blankall

blankall Registered User

Being an upgrade on Smith isn't going to cut it.

The point is there are lots of better options than Anderson. And no one is giving you a pick for him.

20. PeterSidorkiewicz

That's your opinion, your diction is so absolute, it's weird you have such a standoffish tone with just a simple question and mulling over some hockey discussion.

I mean, I would love to hear the better options. Obviously you think Anderson isn't good and not worth anything, which is fine, but damn, settle down a bit it's a discussion. :laugh:

21. Volica

Volica Big Ttich Rittich

Love me some dumpster fire Smith :laugh:
    His usual unscreened wrister from the circle, not a factor. Back hand on a dead angle? Oh baby.

Duffalufagus likes this.
  22. Bond

Bond Registered User

Feels like there are no good options available. I would like Howard but rumoured cost is a first and Lehner but he won't be traded unless the Islanders fall back from the hunt. Kinkaid looks interesting as well but no idea on his cost.

23. Mitts

Mitts Valimakiville

Smith is making me forget about Roman Turek.

24. blankall

blankall Registered User

Do you really think Calgary is going to send a pick for Anderson? Is he really the best option for a team trying to make a cup run? Can a cap team really afford to take Anderson's contract into next year? Bringing in another aging and underperforming vet would be the exact opposite of what Calgary should do, and would lead to a variety of posts mocking Calgary's GM.

Yes it's an absolute that Anderson is not a good option for Calgary. There are literally dozens of other options. Proposing Anderson as an option and then continuing to argue it contributes nothing to this thread.

25. Dan403

Dan403 Registered User

Who?

Mitts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.