Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Do you really think Calgary is going to send a pick for Anderson? Is he really the best option for a team trying to make a cup run? Can a cap team really afford to take Anderson's contract into next year? Bringing in another aging and underperforming vet would be the exact opposite of what Calgary should do, and would lead to a variety of posts mocking Calgary's GM.

Yes it's an absolute that Anderson is not a good option for Calgary. There are literally dozens of other options. Proposing Anderson as an option and then continuing to argue it contributes nothing to this thread.

I feel like your comprehension of my posts are completely all over the place.

1. You said it’s not a good option. I said that’s fair.
2. I ask what you think you should go for as it pertains to a goalie. You didn’t answer. So can you please name the literally dozens of options? I’m actually curious because the goalie market doesn’t seem that great
3. You spoke in an absolute manner that Anderson could not garner a draft pick. So you don’t think it’s possible a team could trade a sixth round pick for Anderson at the deadline?
4. I find your evaluation of Anderson’s play this season way off base.

Anyway, good luck and hope your team excels in the playoffs. I just think your posting tone is very aggressive for no reason whatsoever and you don’t really carefully read what I was saying. I liked the other Flames fan posting here more. :D Gotta take a Xanax there.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Feels like there are no good options available. I would like Howard but rumoured cost is a first and Lehner but he won't be traded unless the Islanders fall back from the hunt. Kinkaid looks interesting as well but no idea on his cost.

I dont think Howard will end up going for a first at the deadline. That rumoured cost came out a month ago when a team owuld basically have him for a full season. I think Calgary would be smart to give up a second+ok prospect+Smith for Howard though at the deadline. How many years are the Flames going to be playing at the level they are now this season? And how rattled as a fan/management would you be if Rittich gets hurt and Smith costs them going out early. I think I would give up a second for the insurance of that not happening

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Now the #1 seed in the West, with the best point differential in their conference, but how would these Flames stack up against the best of the West in a playoff series? And could they topple the beasts of the East?

In a word, yes.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I dont think Howard will end up going for a first at the deadline. That rumoured cost came out a month ago when a team owuld basically have him for a full season. I think Calgary would be smart to give up a second+ok prospect+Smith for Howard though at the deadline. How many years are the Flames going to be playing at the level they are now this season? And how rattled as a fan/management would you be if Rittich gets hurt and Smith costs them going out early. I think I would give up a second for the insurance of that not happening

Yeah, if we could do a second + b prospect+ Smith. I would book that in a second.
Flames have to address the back up position, the Flames are not going deep with Smith. Even relying solely on Rittich scares me. He looks amazing this year but he still in his first year trending towards being a starter.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Here's my prediction: Sam Bennett will cause the Flames to lose a key game in the playoffs at a critical moment by taking a bad penalty, I don't know when or against whom but I am certain that that guy is going to take a very costly penalty in the playoffs. The guy is a ticking timebomb.

What a ridiculous post. Bennett, if anything, has been a beast in the playoffs. It’s the reg season where we all question what’s wrong with him.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Well, they're winning games where they have no business winning lately, they turn it on when needed and win the game. not so sure about a cup threat that's the definition of a dangerous team.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yes. Just trade for a top tier backup-goalie like Ryan Miller & they are set for a deep run, if Rittich starts to falter in the playoffs you'll be glad you traded for a back up like Miller.
Will give you Miller for a 7th.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Yes. Just trade for a top tier backup-goalie like Ryan Miller & they are set for a deep run, if Rittich starts to falter in the playoffs you'll be glad you traded for a back up like Miller.
Will give you Miller for a 7th.
Gibson would be better.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No. They will have their typical losing steak in the next.... (let me see now... 82-46 = 36).... 36 games.
And if they don't they still won't be a contender until they actually contend for the cup in the cup finals. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Keneeyo Fato Boiyo

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
As a flames fan I try to be objective, still think we lack the size and grit to go really deep. Also need to shoot Smith to the moon and find a decent backup.

I think Winnipeg may be the most complete team in the west, and quite frankly NHL (sorry Tampa).

Still nobody can deny our offence is lights out and we have a very solid d core. If we add a bigger body that can chip in to the bottom six and play heavy plus a solid backup...I'd really start to think we could come out of the west!

EDIT: disregard everything i've said. Bennett's moustache is going to channel it's inner Lanny and we'll be bringing the cup home :laugh:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
They have some magic but they don't have the true elite-tier depth IMO. I can see them making the conference finals, maybe even the finals, but I don't see them winning 4 rounds. Not unless they get a super soft path like the 2012 Kings. I don't like their chances versus Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose, or Anaheim.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
We are playing quite poorly and have somehow won 5 in a row...

All star break can't come fast enough.

Might almost be a good thing to get blown out again too. Hardly getting a full period of effort some games but they keep winning. Not a good thing long term

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They have some magic but they don't have the true elite-tier depth IMO. I can see them making the conference finals, maybe even the finals, but I don't see them winning 4 rounds. Not unless they get a super soft path like the 2012 Kings. I don't like their chances versus Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose, or Anaheim.

Those teams actually seem to bring the best out of the Flames, other than the Ducks.

Their depth is not tangibly worse than Nashville or San Jose, IMO, if you compare the lineups.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I don’t care how many straight games they lose. Anybody but the ducks please

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As a flames fan I try to be objective, still think we lack the size and grit to go really deep. Also need to shoot Smith to the moon and find a decent backup.

I think Winnipeg may be the most complete team in the west, and quite frankly NHL (sorry Tampa).

Still nobody can deny our offence is lights out and we have a very solid d core. If we add a bigger body that can chip in to the bottom six and play heavy plus a solid backup...I'd really start to think we could come out of the west!

EDIT: disregard everything i've said. Bennett's moustache is going to channel it's inner Lanny and we'll be bringing the cup home :laugh:

In todays NHL, they have the grit to go deep. No, they arent as tough as Winnipeg but neither is pretty much any NHL team. Hamonic, Hathaway, Bennett, Gio, Tkachuk and James Neal is a gritty enough group to win. They might not be scaring anyone, but in todays NHL that amount of grit has enough balance to their line up to get them through the playoffs

Reactions: Migos

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
As of right now, they are a bit lacking in depth and high end talent to be a true contender. Need better goaltending too. Treliving will have to pull some deadline magic to get it done.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As of right now, they are a bit lacking in depth and high end talent to be a true contender. Need better goaltending too. Treliving will have to pull some deadline magic to get it done.
They have 5 players at a PPG or higher.

They have another 5 players on pace for 30-50 points.

They are a very deep team with lots of high end talent.

Yes goaltending could be an issue.

Reactions: Snakepit

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was refraining myself from coming back here to answer any posts, since I don't really care to debate on this matter, or whether I'm right or wrong. I stated my (un)educated opinion and it's up to the team to prove me right or wrong.

But the whole problem with the "Flames being a serious cup threat" is the fact the team is playing really hot right now and no one has any idea if it's sustainable or not. It's not uncommon for an unknown and unproven goalie to go on a hot streak with the whole team. 23 games played is an indication of really nothing. He's been good for a stretch but doesn't elevate the goalie situation from being a question mark come playoffs time. Same applies to this so called great or one of the best 2nd pairing in the league.

If everything's still the same after 82 games of regular season I will be happy to come back and raise my hand call myself out for having a bad prediction. But as of right now and based on recent past, I'm not going to change my mind no matter how many Flames' fan quotes me with 'facts'.
Do we have to wait until the Flames play their 82nd game tonight to get a hand raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad