Are the Canucks the Leafs of 16-17?

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Fighting for a wild card spot one year removed from the basement of NHL led by a new face of their franchise.

Do you see the Canucks following in the footsteps of the Leafs' Shannyplan and becoming a dynasty for years to come?
Lol at the leafs being a dynasty

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im more confident in the Hawks making the playoffs than the Canucks.

16-17 Leafs were a much deeper team up front. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Brown (20 goals), Hyman, Komarov (32 pts).. It's basically what the Leafs have now minus Tavares, take away JVR and Bozak and replace them with Kapanen (who was with the team down the stretch) and Johnsson.

Canucks have Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. Roussel is their Komarov. But there's not much in the middle in terms of secondary guys. Leafs had 5 guys with 60 points, Canucks will probably have 5 guys with 30 points.

I think what's similar about this season and the Leafs 16-17 is that now we have a better idea of who are the guys the Canucks are building around and see them in action together. Instead of just 1 or 2 players, they got Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. That's an exciting group. Add a couple exciting young D like Hughes and replace the dead weight with decent players and they're in the conversation.

I feel like they're pretty close. Depth is easier to improve than core.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes aren’t far off of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly

Plus Demko who's more of his team's generation than Andersen is. I know he has a long way up to Andersen, but if he develops as expected the Canucks might have great goaltending for twice as long as the Leafs.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'd say Pettersson is more like Marner. The Canucks are missing Tavares and Matthews. I agree though the biggest uncertainty is Hughes.
...Why? Why would a young sniping center be more comparable to a young playmaking winger than to another young sniping center?

And before you say size, Pettersson is also 6'2 and will fill out.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
...Why? Why would a young sniping center be more comparable to a young playmaking winger than to another young sniping center?

And before you say size, Pettersson is also 6'2 and will fill out.

Pettersson's game is nothing like Matthews. Matthews is much more of a power forward. Pettersson is also an excellent playmaker. Pettersson does have more goals than Marner, but that could be a function of him having fewer passing options. Matthews' game largely relies on being in good position. Pettersson is already a master at seeing where everyone else is on the ice, which has much more in common with the way Marner plays.

And yes, the size of a player is relevant to their playing style. Both Marner and Pettersson, at around 175 lbs each, play a smaller players game. Matthews at 225 lbs, plays a big man's game.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wow I didn't know that Canucks don't have even a single Cup at all. That must be a some kind of record. But yeah Toronto's last cup is like 50 years ago? That's also very very bad.

The Blues came into the league 3 years earlier than the Canucks, and are also cupless. Both the Maples Leafs and the Blues are tied at 50 years for longest cup drought. The Canucks and Sabres come in next with 47 years.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
The Blues came into the league 3 years earlier than the Canucks, and are also cupless. Both the Maples Leafs and the Blues are tied at 50 years for longest cup drought. The Canucks and Sabres come in next with 47 years.

Okey thanks for the information.

Do you know what comes after Leafs, Blues, Canucks and Sabres?

And btw it is very sad if you can't ever in your lifetime celebrate your teams victory... :/

Zephyrr

Dec 6, 2018
BC
No not at this point. Our defence is a trainwreck still and Benning seems to have a problem identifying top 4 defenceman. Our forward depth is improved but until we have better defenceman than Pouliot and Gudbrandson eating minutes it will continue to be a problem.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Replacing dead contracts is not easy with Benning at the helm. Feels like every summer he hands out atleast one contract or two that is awful.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad