Are the Canucks the Leafs of 16-17?

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
Fighting for a wild card spot one year removed from the basement of NHL led by a new face of their franchise.

Do you see the Canucks following in the footsteps of the Leafs' Shannyplan and becoming a dynasty for years to come?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The Canucks are having a near identical season to their horrible record last year (bottom 4 spot ruined by a win streak in the last 12 games too), the only difference is that the entire Western Conference from Wild Card spot out is doing just as bad.

Our defence is absolutely pathetic after our top pairing, though Hutton and Stecher are showing some promise. Elias Pettersson and Jacob Markstrom have won us too many games by sheer will alone for us to be in any sort of serious playoff consideration, the rest of the team just can't get it done.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
If we get a top 3 pick this year, yes probably.

Hopefully we don't try to take any short cuts by overpaying free agents and f***ing the cap situation.. like the Leafs did.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
My big tip is to stack the blueline first.
Keep the points low.

Reactions: EP40

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Our rebuild has resulted in no Left Wingers and no natural Right D worth bragging about.

Best of Luck.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Dynasty isn't really fair but the Canucks have quite the solid group of young talent. They might need a better goalie however and Rielly and Gardiner had already been baking in the league for a few years prior, whereas the Canucks young defencemen are all going to be coming into the league and will need development time. Their star forwards of Matthews, Marner and Nylander are probably a bit better than Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat collectively and they had Kadri, Bozak and JVR as well. A high pick in this draft will help them inch closer but I wouldn't expect them to advance at the same speed as the Leafs team did.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
While toronto has large potential to become a dynasty and the rebuild has been overwhelmingly sucessful, Toronto hasn't accomplished anything yet.

That said, Vancouver just doesn't have the elite pieces Toronto has

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
God I hope not, when we are ready for the playoffs again I want our guys to actually have a thirst to compete and win an actual series. The prime time television coverage would be cool I guess but id actually prefer a playoff winning team than a media darling

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Fighting for a wild card spot one year removed from the basement of NHL led by a new face of their franchise.

Do you see the Canucks following in the footsteps of the Leafs' Shannyplan and becoming a dynasty for years to come?

You need to explain your definition of "dynasty", first...

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013

Second paragraph is a tad presumptuous.. lol.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs had 95 points that year
Nucks are on pace for 81

easy no

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Since you didn't specify "had", I'm sure the Nucks would love to have 13 Cups.
I'm sure your fanbase would too.

Wow I didn't know that Canucks don't have even a single Cup at all. That must be a some kind of record. But yeah Toronto's last cup is like 50 years ago? That's also very very bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad