Are the Bruins now the Leafs biggest rival?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If the Bruins take out the Leafs in the first round in game 7 again... damn.

Third straight Game 7 in their own barn, too.

It's almost as if home ice means a lot in this series.

Now, again, Toronto COULD pull off the upset tomorrow and flip the narrative, but right now the odds are overwhelmingly in Boston's favour given the history involved and relative momentum.

Reactions: rfournier103

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Not necessarily. Habs vs Bruins is the most lopsided rivalry in the history of sport. We've been their boss for a century. They still called it a rivalry. Rivalry is just hate on ice, imo. But I guess in todays NHL it might mean playing each other a lot with a strong desire to beat the other team.
Is this an opportunity to puff your chest about 24 cups? Lmao. The Bruins and Habs have had many battles from 70’s and on and it’s been mostly back and forth in the last two decades.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Is this an opportunity to puff your chest about 24 cups? Lmao. The Bruins and Habs have had many battles from 70’s and on and it’s been mostly back and forth in the last two decades.

Make that "24 Cups (at least 23 of which were won before I was born)!" :laugh:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yeah, probably. But this "rivalry" exists mostly in print and keystrokes. The Leafs have all of two players who played in all three series. One of whom is Kadri, who's spent 1/3 of these games in the pressbox and the other is Gardiner. The 2013 Leafs were the Phaneuf/Kessel era and bear no resemblance to the current squad.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
There has to be a back and forth for it to be a rivalry.

As of now, the Bruins are the bully and the leafs are the utterly incompetent losers.

No rivalry.

Reactions: rfournier103

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
LOL, plenty of us (Habs fans) have seen the 86 Cup and there are a lot of Habs fans especially on the History of Hockey Board who are old enough to have seen some of the 70's Cup wins but since you're a Bruins fan, I understand why you're salty about that. :laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
LOL, plenty of us (Habs fans) have seen the 86 Cup and there are a lot of Habs fans especially on the History of Hockey Board who are old enough to have seen some of the 70's Cup wins but since you're a Bruins fan, I understand why you're salty about that. :laugh:

Why would I be salty about 26 years since the last Habs Cup?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe because how often the Habs always beat the Bruins through the history and we have 24 Stanley Cups vs only 6. :nod:

You're only as good as your last championship, and being a Bostonian, we usually aren't 1 or 2 years between them. So with 12 in the last 20 years, there's no way I'm salty about 26 won over a quarter century ago.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
You're only as good as your last championship, and being a Bostonian, we usually aren't 1 or 2 years between them. So with 12 in the last 20 years, there's no way I'm salty about 26 won over a quarter century ago.
LOL, sure...:rolleyes: This is the only argument every fans of other teams have against the Habs.

Who cares about other sports, I was only talking about hockey because we don't have an NFL, MLB and NBA team here. You're so insecure that you had to bring other sport championships here. :laugh:

Reactions: dukeofjive

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Never would I have expected a pissing war between leafs/ Bruins fans would turn into a pissing match between a hab fan and a Bruins fan.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
LOL, sure...:rolleyes: This is the only argument every fans of other teams have against the Habs.

Who cares about other sports, I was only talking about hockey because we don't have an NFL, MLB and NBA team here. You're so insecure that you had to bring other sport championships here. :laugh:

Keep watching those grainy YouTube videos.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If the format stays the same, there will no doubt be a legitimate rivalry. It reminds me of the Canucks battling the Hawks for many years, faltering each time until finally overcoming them and going very deep.

The same thing could happen with the Leafs. It would be a cool story.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
No chance of catching them in most Cups won more than a quarter century ago, so I'll pass.
It can be unfair for every teams who are not among the original 6. But they have still won the most Cups since the first expansion though and as an O6 team, the Bruins have no excuses. 10 Cups for the Habs and only 3 for the Bruins.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It can be unfair for every teams who are not among the original 6. But they have still won the most Cups since the first expansion though and as an O6 team, the Bruins have no excuses. 10 Cups for the Habs and only 3 for the Bruins.
Yea even if we only include the post-expansion era (which is a more accurate assessment when comparing teams across the league), the Habs still have the most cups, finals appearances and other awards. The Bruins are probably still a top 5 post-expansion team though

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017

I've seen 2. The fact is peeps were talking about teams needing to win now and then against another team for it to be a proper rivalry. I stated that wasnt the case because well...we made a history of kicking the B's asses but even in those first 50 years they still called it a rivalry. Rivals hate each other. It doesnt matter if one gets their ass kicked all the time or not.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Yup, the sens always get clapped and the sabres are lame now

Leafs Bruins series is a series of annihilation for the leafs. they must win this series and anything that happens after is a bonus for this season

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's always a generational discussion when you're talking about multiple teams and there's an obvious recency bias as this is a current rival. The way a fan sees their biggest rival most often is likely to be linked to who they hated the most when they were growing up with the team and/or who they met most often in the playoffs.
Amazing !

You posted this 4-5 posts after the post I quoted and where I basically expressed an identical sentiment.

:cheers: But with a very good Barolo/Barbaresco/Châteauneuf/Taurasi.

PS: For those who like wine and have never tried Taurasi (from Campania), go and buy some.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Rivalries go through peaks and valley's.

Right now it's Boston as #1. From 05-12, it's pretty hard to have a top rival, as we sucked. I suppose Buffalo? Then it was a mix of Ottawa, New Jersey, Philly and Montreal. Then we get into the weird part where the Leafs were in the Western Conference lmao

So yeah, Boston and Toronto I would argue are each other's top rival currently. Next year, that could start to change.
But you have to know that it would only take one series for the Montréal/Toronto rivalry to be rekindled to its highest degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad