Are the Bruins now the Leafs biggest rival?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Eh I guess so... to me, bad blood creates the best rivalries. Other than Kadri doing the occasional dumb thing, there hasn’t been a lot of animosity. No real big scrums after whistles and after game 2, the physical play has completely died down. I don’t even hate the Boston fans, they’ve been great so far this series.

The NHL tries to create these rivalries by facing the same teams together over and over but for me, the best way to create a good rivalry is hate. Sometimes somebody crossing the line is the best thing for entertainment value. Best rivalries were in the 90’s and late 2000’s IMO. Especially Detroit Colorado.
The Patrick Division in the 90's were filled with bad blood. Pretty much every match-up besides NYI-NJD were heated rivalries where the teams and their fans flat out hated one another

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Let's put this another way too.

I want to take the 2004 Lightning banner and fire an arrow lit on fire at it and cook it, with the Calgary Flames logo on the feather-end.

I want to take the 2006 Hurricanes banner and douse it all in bitumen, straight from Alberta's Oil Patch.

I want to take the Ducks 2007 banner and cut a massive 'O' in it with a sword decorated in Senators colors.

And I want to take the Rangers 1994 and Booins 2011 banners and drown them both in a LOT of Vancouver's raw sewage.

That's where my mind is at regarding those 5 banners.

>=P
Groan. Bettman does not hate Canada. Otherwise, there would not be the return of the Jets. There are more American teams than Canadian teams, so statistically, American teams are going to win the Cup. I agree with you on Calgary because that was a Gelinas goal. Edmonton crapped the bed, as did Ottawa against Anaheim. Vancouver got outplayed in both of the Finals appearance, and their location had nothing to do with it because it's a big market.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Groan. Bettman does not hate Canada. Otherwise, there would not be the return of the Jets. There are more American teams than Canadian teams, so statistically, American teams are going to win the Cup. I agree with you on Calgary because that was a Gelinas goal. Edmonton crapped the bed, as did Ottawa against Anaheim. Vancouver got outplayed in both of the Finals appearance, and their location had nothing to do with it because it's a big market.

There are fans who have patience.

There are fans who have NO patience.

And then there's fans who've reached the end of their rope, waiting for Canada's Cup drought to die a very public death.

I was LONG past that point in 2011. Now?

580b57fbd9996e24bc43bec9.png

This is a bit emblematic of how I'd glare at Bettman if I ever met him.

>=P

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Considering the Habs had a poll where about 75% of the voters support Boston winning over Toronto I think that speaks about who Habs fans hate more.

And in Bruins GDT's you'll often come across posts about how they hate the Leafs more than the Habs now.

From a Leafs perspective, Boston could never come close to the Habs, but our rivals arent even in the post season (Ottawa and Buffalo, Montreal and even Detroit). Boston may be a rival but it's not like the players hate each other, and it doesnt exist outside of the post season... every one of those potential series with Ott, Mtl, Buf and Det would blow whatever we have going on with Boston right out of the water in entertainment value and animosity.

Most Canadiens' fans will agree that the Bruins are the Habs' biggest rival.

The main reason many of us want to see the Bruins win this series is because we think the Leaf fanbase and media is completely insufferable. At least if the Bruins win, we won't be hearing about it 24/7 in real life, on tv, and on the internet. When the Bruins won the cup in 2011 I didn't get trolled once that summer, and didn't hear one word about it unless I went looking. Can't say I could say the same if the Leafs ever won. That's not to say that there aren't any respectful and polite Leaf fans out there. There definitely are many.

For Habs fans wanting the Bruins to win, it generally breaks down to this: We hate the Bruins organization more than the Leafs organization, but we hate the general Toronto fanbase and media more than we hate the Bruins organization.

If it were possible, i'd prefer both the Leafs and the Bruins to be eliminated at once on Tuesday night. But since that isn't possible I'd personally rather see the Bruins win, as I see them as the lesser of two evils in this situation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's really hard to find real rivals in this day and age where the NHL has changed, the hate and the dirty plays are far less present. It's so clean, even Marchand. Think about this, the last time the Habs played the Bruins in the playoffs, a player threaten to kill three other players while they were shaking hands. That is what the Leafs are up against if they want the Bruins to became their Top rival. You think this will ever get that far, esp. now?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I guess they're the biggest "right now" but that's more this specific Boston team
For the franchise as a whole, historical consideration is important and it's Montreal in that respect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I like the (not so) new playoff format and the rivalries it builds.

I agree with the other poster stating that a Toronto win would be insufferable

Toronto and Boston are the two teams I truly dislike. the only teams I have actively cheered against in 50 years of hockey watching. i'd rather see Boston win and it's not even close.

Reactions: rfournier103

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The habs will always be Boston’s biggest rival without a doubt but I’m starting to think the B’s are now becoming the Leafs ultimate rival instead of Montreal. They’ve now engaged in three really close, physical and hard fought series in the last 6 years, while the leafs and habs haven’t met in a playoff series for over 40 years now and are never good at the same time.

The last time the habs and leafs played in the playoffs was the late 70s. The playoffs are the most important peice to a rivalry, so this has been dormant for a long time.

Since Toronto came back into the east in the late 90s, I'm guessing Ottawa was the biggest rival for a while. Now I guess it's Boston.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
We will have to wait till next season to see how many times Boston and Toronto play on Wednesday night on NBC Sports

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Most Canadiens' fans will agree that the Bruins are the Habs' biggest rival.

The main reason many of us want to see the Bruins win this series is because we think the Leaf fanbase and media is completely insufferable. At least if the Bruins win, we won't be hearing about it 24/7 in real life, on tv, and on the internet. When the Bruins won the cup in 2011 I didn't get trolled once that summer, and didn't hear one word about it unless I went looking. Can't say I could say the same if the Leafs ever won. That's not to say that there aren't any respectful and polite Leaf fans out there. There definitely are many.

For Habs fans wanting the Bruins to win, it generally breaks down to this: We hate the Bruins organization more than the Leafs organization, but we hate the general Toronto fanbase and media more than we hate the Bruins organization.

If it were possible, i'd prefer both the Leafs and the Bruins to be eliminated at once on Tuesday night. But since that isn't possible I'd personally rather see the Bruins win, as I see them as the lesser of two evils in this situation.

My sentiment exactly. Plus it's great to mention that the Leafs have not won a playoff series in 15 years. Hope Boston wins tomorrow but then I hope they get crushed by CBJ.

Reactions: NobleSix

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
To me to be a rivalry, the other team has to win at some point. Toronto needs to beat Boston at some point for it to become something. Boston beat the Habs in 2009 and 2011 and Habs beat Boston in 2004, 2008 and 2014.

Reactions: dukeofjive

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
It says you're in Vancouver, B.C.

I'd figured that you'd be someone who would want to kick the Booins rear ends too.

You need to tap into that anger to give your focus back.

>=P

Oh boy - you've got the wrong guy here. Even though I grew up just outside Montreal I've been a lifelong Bruins fan thanks to a certain # 4 that used to wear the Black & Gold. :thumbu:

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Finished four points behind them. I'd say they're on a similar tier as bubble teams.
Yep but the Leafs on paper are a better team especially on the offense but you're right, I seem to underrate our team a little bit because of the last season probably.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
I find the hate between Leafs-Habs-Bruins makes a good 3 way. I hate those other two teams, but I still respect what those franchises have done, along with my Leafs.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Yep but the Leafs on paper are a better team especially on the offense but you're right, I seem to underrate our team a little bit because of the last season probably.

Yea I was mostly busting your balls lol. Toronto is better on paper, though their defense is still pretty bad and is holding them back along with their coach.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not necessarily. Habs vs Bruins is the most lopsided rivalry in the history of sport. We've been their boss for a century. They still called it a rivalry. Rivalry is just hate on ice, imo. But I guess in todays NHL it might mean playing each other a lot with a strong desire to beat the other team.

The 1980s called, they want their rivalry back. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad