Are the Bruins now the Leafs biggest rival?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think it's fair to say only their 2013 playoff series with the Bruins was fueled because of the Kessel trade. Last year and this year the trade has not been brought up.

I meant the rivalry in general that's built over the past ~10 years has been fuelled by three playoff series and a major blockbuster trade.

What's the biggest "rivalry" moment between Toronto and Montreal over the past 20 years? There's really not much at all to point to.

Reactions: Slyfox

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I meant the rivalry in general that's built over the past ~10 years has been fuelled by three playoff series and a major blockbuster trade.

What's the biggest "rivalry" moment between Toronto and Montreal over the past 20 years? There's really not much at all to point to.

Last day of the season in 2007 is the only memorable rivalry moment for both teams.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Hopefully not after tomorrow! Bruins are on their last legs. Getting old

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Mtl needs to get back to the playoffs. Sometimes I rewatch 2014 mtl/bos. Still one of my alltime favorites. I don't really feel leaf/bruins is a rivalry. Theres no hate except between Kadri/Debrusk.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As far as the players go - definitely.

As far as he entire organization/fanbase it's probably still the Habs (though this is purely the product of history)

Reactions: dukeofjive

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Buffalo, Boston, Montreal. Sens I guess although no one takes them seriously. When we play them in Ottawa there’s like 85% fans in that building. They probably hate us more than we even care about them

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

This was a moment more for Toronto and not Montreal, but during their most recent season opener we saw John Tavares score his first goal as a Maple Leaf. He previously did not want to even meet with Montreal to see about possibly signing with them and there was some talk 1 year before Tavares became a UFA that Montreal would want to sign him and I believe Marc Bergervin mentioned his name during an interview, which could have been considered to be tampering.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Leafs gotta win this series for it to be a rivalry finally... losing 3 playoff series in the decade is just a ****kicking lil brother scenario

Not necessarily. Habs vs Bruins is the most lopsided rivalry in the history of sport. We've been their boss for a century. They still called it a rivalry. Rivalry is just hate on ice, imo. But I guess in todays NHL it might mean playing each other a lot with a strong desire to beat the other team.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
to be fair there have been some fun, heated games with Montreal and Toronto. But the players back then made it happen. Parros, Prust, Orr Mclaren, Tucker, Domi, Rivet, Souray, Marchment etc.....

Just no post season time.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I was recently in TD Garden using a restroom stall where I saw scrawled on the wall ’French is not a langauage’. Fair to say that some Bruins fans really hate the Habs.

As a Bruins fan myself I consider Toronto a hated rival more so than Montreal.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Might as well shine the Leafs golf clubs up for Wednesday, and have those golf bags rested against the Leafs lockers, seeing as how Bettman and the NHL on NBC will demand the refs screw over Toronto.

Same old song and dance that I've seen before...the Leafs haven't won Game 7 since 2004, and they won't now.

I guess this is what happens when those who are A] fans of U.S. NHL clubs, B] Bettman, and C] the NHL on NBC collude around the same things they all are...anti-Canadian conservative corporate terrorists at best and fascist social sellouts in fact.

Here's hoping that CBC and Sportsnet stop all playoff coverage once the inevitable Leafs 1st round elimination occurs on Tuesday night....one where the blame rests on crooked refs who want Toronto out of Gary's personal kingdom.

>=[

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I think I’ve been a Bruins fan long enough to speak authoritatively on this.

The Bruins biggest rivals are the Montreal Canadiens. Hands down no question. Any fan who has been watching since before 2013 knows this.

Too long a time.
Too many series.
Too much bad blood.

Maple Leafs fans may hate the Bruins, and vice versa, but just because three series have reached Game 7, it doesn’t move the Maple Leafs ahead of the Habs on the hatred spectrum. Oh, I’m afraid it’s going to take a little more than that.

I hate the Canadiens more than the Yankees, Lakers, and (NY) Jets combined. The Leafs aren’t even the NHL team I hate SECOND most.

The Maple Leafs need to win a few championships at the Bruins expense, go a few decades without losing a playoff series to the Bruins, and do it all in soul crushing fashion before we can even THINK of discussing the Leafs as a bigger rival.

How Toronto fans view the Bruins is their business. I don’t intend to make it mine. But this is just one Boston fan’s perspective.

Make of it what you please.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Makes sense, the Leafs have only played 4 playoff series since '04 and 3/4 have been against Boston.

Although if Toronto and MTL meet in the playoffs soon, which will probably happen if they stick with this playoff format, the hate will be unbelievable.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I think I’ve been a Bruins fan long enough to speak authoritatively on this.

The Bruins biggest rivals are the Montreal Canadiens. Hands down no question. Any fan who has been watching since before 2013 knows this.

Too long a time.
Too many series.
Too much bad blood.

Maple Leafs fans may hate the Bruins, and vice versa, but just because three series have reached Game 7, it doesn’t move the Maple Leafs ahead of the Habs on the hatred spectrum. Oh, I’m afraid it’s going to take a little more than that.

I hate the Canadiens more than the Yankees, Lakers, and (NY) Jets combined. The Leafs aren’t even the NHL team I hate SECOND most.

The Maple Leafs need to win a few championships at the Bruins expense, go a few decades without losing a playoff series to the Bruins, and do it all in soul crushing fashion before we can even THINK of discussing the Leafs as a bigger rival.

How Toronto fans view the Bruins is their business. I don’t intend to make it mine. But this is just one Boston fan’s perspective.

Make of it what you please.

And no one cares what a Boston fan thinks, given how greedy, spoiled, and self-entitled the whole group is.

>=[

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Yikes. Where’d all that hostility come from? You don’t even know me. Have I done something to offend you?

Let's just say that ever since....

...the Rangers in 1994
...the Lightning in 2004
...the Hurricanes in 2006
...the Ducks in 2007
...and the Booins in 2011,

...that I've wanted to take the sweaters of all those teams, 2 U.S. flags, 2 pics of Bettman, and the logos used for the NHL's time on FOX, ESPN-ABC, Vs., and NBC, douse them all in gasoline, kerosene, bleach, and car battery acid, light a match, and torch the whole assembly.

Because Bettman has used Canada, prostituted my country's NHL teams, and abandoned Canada to the point that no NHL team here will ever again be a serious threat to win the title....and especially not win the Cup on NBC, which a taboo, verboten act to him and that network.

That's the reason why opinions from the 24 U.S. NHL clubs don't mean a whole lot, and especially to the 5 listed above. Because you hold all the power, and you use it for the wrong purposes..to punish Canada because Canada's not the U.S.

>=P

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Let's just say that ever since....

...the Rangers in 1994
...the Lightning in 2004
...the Hurricanes in 2006
...the Ducks in 2007
...and the Booins in 2011,

...that I've wanted to take the sweaters of all those teams, 2 U.S. flags, 2 pics of Bettman, and the logos used for the NHL's time on FOX, ESPN-ABC, Vs., and NBC, douse them all in gasoline, kerosene, bleach, and car battery acid, light a match, and torch the whole assembly.

Because Bettman has used Canada, prostituted my country's NHL teams, and abandoned Canada to the point that no NHL team here will ever again be a serious threat to win the title....and especially not win the Cup on NBC, which a taboo, verboten act to him and that network.

That's the reason why opinions from the 24 U.S. NHL clubs don't mean a whole lot, and especially to the 5 listed above. Because you hold all the power, and you use it for the wrong purposes..to punish Canada because Canada's not the U.S.

>=P

Ok. Well, as someone who loves what the NHL should be, I agree with you mostly.

I hate Gary Bettman myself, and hate what he and his underlings have done to the NHL. Truthfully, beside the Bruins being in the Cup Final, the matchup I’d most LOVE to see would be Ottawa and Winnipeg. Just so I could see Bettman’s head implode when he hands the Cup to a tiny Canadian market.

Naturally, I want my hometown team to flourish, but I do have a soft spot for the Canadian teams. I even want Quebec City to have a team again. I’m of Canadian descent and I truly empathize. I really do.

The fault lies with the Board of Governors and their greed.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Ok. Well, as someone who loves what the NHL should be, I agree with you mostly.

I hate Gary Bettman myself, and hate what he and his underlings have done to the NHL. Truthfully, beside the Bruins being in the Cup Final, the matchup I’d most LOVE to see would be Ottawa and Winnipeg. Just so I could see Bettman’s head implode when he hands the Cup to a tiny Canadian market.

Naturally, I want my hometown team to flourish, but I do have a soft spot for the Canadian teams. I even want Quebec City to have a team again. I’m of Canadian descent and I truly empathize. I really do.

The fault lies with the Board of Governors and their greed.

Let's put this another way too.

I want to take the 2004 Lightning banner and fire an arrow lit on fire at it and cook it, with the Calgary Flames logo on the feather-end.

I want to take the 2006 Hurricanes banner and douse it all in bitumen, straight from Alberta's Oil Patch.

I want to take the Ducks 2007 banner and cut a massive 'O' in it with a sword decorated in Senators colors.

And I want to take the Rangers 1994 and Booins 2011 banners and drown them both in a LOT of Vancouver's raw sewage.

That's where my mind is at regarding those 5 banners.

>=P

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Let's put this another way too.

I want to take the 2004 Lightning banner and fire an arrow lit on fire at it and cook it, with the Calgary Flames logo on the feather-end.

I want to take the 2006 Hurricanes banner and douse it all in bitumen, straight from Alberta's Oil Patch.

I want to take the Ducks 2007 banner and cut a massive 'O' in it with a sword decorated in Senators colors.

And I want to take the Rangers 1994 and Booins 2011 banners and drown them both in a LOT of Vancouver's raw sewage.

That's where my mind is at regarding those 5 banners.

>=P
I hope the drought ends soon and you can find some tranquility, my friend.

Take care and have a good night.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Eh I guess so... to me, bad blood creates the best rivalries. Other than Kadri doing the occasional dumb thing, there hasn’t been a lot of animosity. No real big scrums after whistles and after game 2, the physical play has completely died down. I don’t even hate the Boston fans, they’ve been great so far this series.

The NHL tries to create these rivalries by facing the same teams together over and over but for me, the best way to create a good rivalry is hate. Sometimes somebody crossing the line is the best thing for entertainment value. Best rivalries were in the 90’s and early 2000’s IMO. Especially Detroit Colorado.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad