Are the Bruins getting underrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They've lost a ton of points to 3-on-3 OT (4-5) and the shootout (0-7), which have no bearing in the playoffs, so their overall record is being undersold a bit. They also had some playoff success last year going to Game 7 of the Cup Final, relative to a lot of the other contenders (TBL, WSH, PIT, COL) people are talking about.

Points - 86 (1st)
Points % - .717 (1st)
Regulation wins - 33 (1st)
Regulation losses - 11 (1st)
GF/G - 3.32 (6th)
GA/G - 2.32 (1st)
PP% - 25.9% (2nd)
PK% - 84.2% (2nd)
5-on-5 GF% - 58.3% (3rd)

Reactions: Tofveve

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Will have to get past the Lightning who are playing just as good, if not better than the Bruins are.

Only one team gets to make it out of the East. It’s pretty easy to get lost in the shuffle with all of the very good teams.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
If the expections here are people saying 24/7 that the 2019-20 Bruins are the best team ever asssembled then yea they are underrated. Otherwise most people know they are a really good team and cup contender.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bruins received a ton of press at the start of the year but have cooled off to regular levels since then. Everyone still acknowledges them as one of the top contenders, they're just not a big story at the moment.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins received a ton of press at the start of the year but have cooled off to regular levels since then. Everyone still acknowledges them as one of the top contenders, they're just not a big story at the moment.
9-1-0 in their last 10?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
9-1-0 in their last 10?

People don't usually notice hot stretches this far into the season when a team has been cruising along on top most of the year, and that's to be expected of a top team. Tampa's run to get them to 2nd in the league is more noticeable (10 straight and 21 of their last 24), along with the tight races for bubble teams. Pasta's goalscoring is also overshadowing the team success. A lot of your threads seem to be about a lack of attention for the team and its players but I'm not sure what you expect. It's not that interesting when a team performs as it should unless they're chasing records.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People don't usually notice hot stretches this far into the season when a team has been cruising along on top most of the year, and that's to be expected of a top team. Tampa's run to get them to 2nd in the league is more noticeable (10 straight and 21 of their last 24), along with the tight races for bubble teams. Pasta's goalscoring is also overshadowing the team success. A lot of your threads seem to be about a lack of attention for the team and its players but I'm not sure what you expect. It's not that interesting when a team performs as it should unless they're chasing records.
So 10 straight gets recognized but 9 of 10 doesn't? Consistency is more important than anything, the numbers aren't difficult to look up. Why hasn't Ovechkin overshadowed Washington then?

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
No... They're legit contenders right with the group of top teams. I think most people agree they could, possibly, go far in the playoffs.

member 149439

Hard to even be considered underrated when sustaining such excellence for so long. And I’m not even a bruins fan. All NHL teams should aim to have as much consecutive success as Boston.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So 10 straight gets recognized but 9 of 10 doesn't? Consistency is more important than anything, the numbers aren't difficult to look up. Why hasn't Ovechkin overshadowed Washington then?

Um, obviously? People love streaks. The Bruins loss came right in the middle of those 10. 10 straight is much different. And Tampa's recent play has seen them rocket up the standings. As I said, when you're leading the division all year, those streaks aren't really noticed or talked about.

And are you kidding me with the last part? All the talk right now is about Ovechkin's goals. Who's actually talking about Washington right now? They're not exactly humming along these days with a 7-6-0 record in their last 13, but again, no one cares because they've led the division all year and they're seen as a playoff lock so it doesn't get noticed.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Um, obviously? People love streaks. The Bruins loss came right in the middle of those 10. 10 straight is much different. And are you kidding me with the last part? All the talk right now is about Ovechkin's goals. Who's actually talking about Washington right now? They're not exactly humming along these days with a 7-6-0 record in their last 13, but again, no one cares because they've led the division all year so it doesn't get noticed.
What are you talking about Washington gets talked about constantly. Bruins have led the division all year anyways, but that doesn't seem to matter.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think no one talks about them because we already know they're legit and a Cup contender.

Because there's no way in hell they're "underrated"

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
What are you talking about Washington gets talked about constantly. Bruins have led the division all year anyways, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Even a majority of Habs fans think the Bruins are an elite team. That should tell you something

Oct 18, 2011
They've lost a ton of points to 3-on-3 OT (4-5) and the shootout (0-7), which have no bearing in the playoffs, so their overall record is being undersold a bit. They also had some playoff success last year going to Game 7 of the Cup Final, relative to a lot of the other contenders (TBL, WSH, PIT, COL) people are talking about.

Points - 86 (1st)
Points % - .717 (1st)
GF/G - 3.32 (6th)
GA/G - 2.32 (1st)
PP% - 25.9% (2nd)
PK% - 84.2% (2nd)
5-on-5 GF% - 58.3% (3rd)
those last 5 numbers say it all, they are elite in every facet of the game, going to be hard to beat

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Points - 86 (1st)
Points % - .717 (1st)
GF/G - 3.32 (6th)
GA/G - 2.32 (1st)
PP% - 25.9% (2nd)
PK% - 84.2% (2nd)
5-on-5 GF% - 58.3% (3rd)

Tampa has an absolutely ridiculous team "on paper". Like - monster roster, one of the best teams in i don't know how long. So it makes sense that they were seen as favorites last year, and again this year. Testimony to how strong a roster they have.

Unlike Boston, Washington actually went all the way and won a cup recently. Pittsburgh - even better, they did it twice, back to back.

So to me - Boston is the least exciting/likely of the 4 to represent the east in the finals. But - it's by a very small margin, as all 4 teams are great, and all 4 have a good chance to go all the way.

Colorado? I dunno - I don't think any team in the West is really talked of as much as those 4 as a cup favorite - but since the West is more wide open, I guess Col gets talked of as a favorite.

Finally - the OT losses are pretty bad. It's kind of embarrassing. It's more about making fun of them for results, than it is about drawing any type of conclusions that will affect the team come playoff time though. Shootouts/3vs3 OT have no bearing on playoff matches.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Who, exactly, is it that is saying the Bruins aren't one of the NHL's top teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad