Are the Avalanche a bit overrated ?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I don't get the hype behind Devon Toews. Sure he's a competent defender but he was a fringe 2nd pairing guy on the Isles. Avs paid a ransom for him given what similar players like Murray were going for last summer

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't get the hype behind Devon Toews. Sure he's a competent defender but he was a fringe 2nd pairing guy on the Isles. Avs paid a ransom for him given what similar players like Murray were going for last summer
Analytics darling, apparently. My only experience was the CF and he was... fine? Steady enough but not a difference maker. And I think he's basically replacing Zadorov, who was also kind of... steady and not a difference maker? It's a marginal improvement.

I felt the same way about Saad. Like a lot of the additions teams make during the offseason to the middle of their lineup are not really going to move the needle as much as we expect some times, because that's often not where a team's strength or weakness is. I think JBB had the right thought with Tampa - identify the *players* you want and get them because they fit your identity rather than just grab marginal upgrades irrespective of identity.

I still think the Avs are missing some in-zone defenders. Zone entry is great. Zone denial is great. Transition is great. But even the best teams are going to spend a good chunk of time straight defending in the zone, so you need guys who will interrupt the cycle, tie up sticks in front of the net, and get in the shot lanes. Maybe they're missing some of that in EJ (but with his health that's just part of the deal by now), but that was the thing I thought they should have went for but instead they kind of doubled down on what was already an organizational strength.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't see it. If we're just looking at preseason betting odds they were considered to be in the top tier alongside Tampa and Vegas, and ahead of the next tier of Boston/Toronto/St. Louis/Philadelphia/Carolina. Seems pretty reasonable to me, at this point in the season I'd still call Tampa/Vegas/Colorado the top tier and the only change I'd make is putting Toronto in that tier as well.

I think the only way they could be overrated is if you considered them unquestionably the best team in the league by a large margin and/or considered them a heavy cup favourite. I don't think considering them the cup favourite over TBL/VGK would even be overrating them considering Kucherov's injuries and Vegas' relative issues with finishing talent in the past. IMO it only would have been overrating them to think Colorado was far and away better than those two.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Every year the Avalanche have a stretch of "meh" hockey followed by a thread similar to this before they turn it around.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
They're only overrated if you thought they were winning the cup this year.

Underperforming due to a ridiculous amount of injuries isn't being overrated

I thought they had injuries then the Covid fairy came and they were able to get healthy? At least Mackinnon was. Are they even that banged up right now?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Analytics darling, apparently. My only experience was the CF and he was... fine? Steady enough but not a difference maker. And I think he's basically replacing Zadorov, who was also kind of... steady and not a difference maker? It's a marginal improvement.

I felt the same way about Saad. Like a lot of the additions teams make during the offseason to the middle of their lineup are not really going to move the needle as much as we expect some times, because that's often not where a team's strength or weakness is. I think JBB had the right thought with Tampa - identify the *players* you want and get them because they fit your identity rather than just grab marginal upgrades irrespective of identity.

I still think the Avs are missing some in-zone defenders. Zone entry is great. Zone denial is great. Transition is great. But even the best teams are going to spend a good chunk of time straight defending in the zone, so you need guys who will interrupt the cycle, tie up sticks in front of the net, and get in the shot lanes. Maybe they're missing some of that in EJ (but with his health that's just part of the deal by now), but that was the thing I thought they should have went for but instead they kind of doubled down on what was already an organizational strength.

Toews has been quite good. I’m not sure why you think he’s only a marginal upgrade on Zadorov.

He’s an all situations defender playing 23:24 a night and getting good results. His game is much deeper than Zadorov’s. He’s at worst a #3 defenceman.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I thought they had injuries then the Covid fairy came and they were able to get healthy? At least Mackinnon was. Are they even that banged up right now?

You breathe on them and they're out week to week with an undisclosed upper-body injury. Of course they're banged up.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Toews has been brilliant this year. Outside of Girard and Makar has probably been the best player on the team this year. As for Zadorov he was anything but steady he was a total rollercoaster not only from a game to game POV but a shift to shift one.

Also Saad made a lot sense as an addition because without him Donskoi would be playing on the 2nd line and he’s not a night in night our 2nd liner. The big issue Sakic neglected was 3C as he bet on Compher being able to fill that role but has been getting his shit kicked in every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivion Beckons

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They always were. How they became the Cup favorites makes no sense. Tampa has been the best team in the league for years and will return nearly their whole team from those seasons once the playoffs start. I think Colorado is too 5, potentially too 3, but favorites was too high.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
They always were. How they became the Cup favorites makes no sense. Tampa has been the best team in the league for years and will return nearly their whole team from those seasons once the playoffs start. I think Colorado is too 5, potentially too 3, but favorites was too high.

Yup, this is a fair take. I don't think any Avs fan came into the season expecting cup or bust. The Avs are a cup contender, but we aren't the favorite - oddsmakers just decided the Avs were the shiny new toy.

Reactions: Weast

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They need to trade for Gibson

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yup, this is a fair take. I don't think any Avs fan came into the season expecting cup or bust. The Avs are a cup contender, but we aren't the favorite - oddsmakers just decided the Avs were the shiny new toy.
Odds are less about who Vegas thinks will win and more about taking people's money.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Nah, they're the real deal. Exceptionally well built team, and skilled and entertaining to boot. Look how long it took Tampa to finally seal the deal. The Avs will get there.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
it's not, but lots of avs fans push only that cause it's easy. it wasn't the only reason for their loss to dallas in the playoffs last year and sakic backed that up by trying to improve the defense in the offseason, but that's the only explanation you'll ever get it seems

Both of their goalies were hurt, series looks different if the team could buy a save

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Last night was what people were expecting to see on a more regular basis. When the team is clicking, it can basically beat you everywhere. The Avs don’t see Vegas or St. Louis until the end of the month. Assuming Mack is okay, there’s a big opportunity to pick up a lot of points. They should be closer to a top 5 team in the standings by then. We’ll see.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Since that game, Calvert tried to return and was re-injured, Erik Johnson remains out, Cale Makar is out and injured again, and Bowen Byram is out with an injury as well. The Avs have played twelve different defensemen this season due mostly to injuries, which tops the NHL, and the Avs have only played around twenty games. I have not even mentioned that the Avs have essentially played the entire season without an NHL caliber backup netminder with Francouz's injury.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They absolutely do not. Grubaur has been very good and Gibson nor Price are going to push this team over the edge with this Blackhole they have at the 3C spot.
Should have traded for Pageau when they had the chance he was the perfect fit.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Avs are a solid team. Bednar needs to split Mack and Rantanen to spread out offense a little and get their big boys going by giving them responsibilities.

Once things start clicking and then you as a coach have confidence to change a few things. Bednar remaining staus-quo with basically the same team he had last season that was making noise and team not clicking isn't on the team but on coaching staff

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Avs are a solid team. Bednar needs to split Mack and Rantanen to spread out offense a little and get their big boys going by giving them responsibilities.

Once things start clicking and then you as a coach have confidence to change a few things. Bednar remaining staus-quo with basically the same team he had last season that was making noise and team not clicking isn't on the team but on coaching staff
The thing is, Bednar has tried to split up 9296 so many times, and in the end it always comes back to 9296. It just works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad