GDT: Are Some Trades Bruin(s)? (Boston @ Anaheim, 7pm PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The common denominator in those teams that failed with high picks are all the same, and that is incompetent upper management.

I don't believe our upper management is incompetent. If you do, then sure, I can see how you'd think a top pick wouldn't help.

However, with this regime, this situation has already occurred once and it helped us tremendously. There is no reason for me to think it won't help us again. I don't want to blow everything up, but this season is dead, and the best thing that it can be used for is fertlizer for next season.
Yeah Carolina is incompetent, Florida isn't much better, Arizona doesn't know what their doing & Oilers can't draft outside the 1st round at all.

Florida's Badbranson in 2010 and passing on Fowler is bad, the Ducks scouts had Fowler higher than Badbranson. Carolina has seen Fleury go 79 career games and still no goals, meanwhile fellow 2014 dmen Petterssen and Montour weren't even 1st rounders.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The common denominator in those teams that failed with high picks are all the same, and that is incompetent upper management.

I don't believe our upper management is incompetent. If you do, then sure, I can see how you'd think a top pick wouldn't help.

However, with this regime, this situation has already occurred once and it helped us tremendously. There is no reason for me to think it won't help us again. I don't want to blow everything up, but this season is dead, and the best thing that it can be used for is fertlizer for next season.

Nearly everyone that I've seen advocating for the team to tank seem to think that the management is incompetent, you and maybe comeonref are the outliers. I'd say that is a more defensible position, but I'd add that a team dropping to the bottom isn't necessarily happening because it is deliberate. If you look at the trades this team has made so far, it looks to me like Murray is desperately trying to rehabilitate the team without success. While I'm more optimistic about next season, I am troubled at this team's inability to stick with the necessary changes to improve; granted we currently have Murray as a coach and who knows what that means. That optimism is waning with every failure.

I'm still sick as f*** and running a fever, so I don't have it in me to have a debate about this; if I don't respond it's not about you or comeonref. If someone else wants to pick up the baton, I'll leave it to them. I'll leave off by saying that this is a situation where you should be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: The Baffled King

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I want the Ducks to get better, like everyone else on here. But the idea that a high quality organization would ever lose games intentionally is anathema to me. If a playoff berth is not happening, I would be on board with playing the backup goalie more often, taking a look at some younger prospects, or resting some vets with injury histories. But posting tank GIFs, being joyful when your team goes on record losing streaks, and playing lottery simulator games daily seems over-the-top to me. There are consequences to losing a bunch of games, it's not all McDavid's ending up on your team. It seems a little passive/aggressive to me, like "my team may suck, but we're smarter than you tanking for a high pick."

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I want the Ducks to get better, like everyone else on here. But the idea that a high quality organization would ever lose games intentionally is anathema to me. If a playoff berth is not happening, I would be on board with playing the backup goalie more often, taking a look at some younger prospects, or resting some vets with injury histories. But posting tank GIFs, being joyful when your team goes on record losing streaks, and playing lottery simulator games daily seems over-the-top to me. There are consequences to losing a bunch of games, it's not all McDavid's ending up on your team. It seems a little passive/aggressive to me, like "my team may suck, but we're smarter than you tanking for a high pick."

For me it's more like "if we are going to have a terrible season with boring hockey then I'm at least going to look to the draft as a possible bright-spot".

Reactions: Deuce22

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm not seeing the correlation between an nhl organization purposely tanking and fans being ok/happy with losing to get a higher pick... Fans have no influence on the team or what the organization does, finding some kind of silver lining for losing all the time isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't think the team is intentionally trying to lose, we're just a bad team this year due to sticking with Randy for so long and how low the team morale seem to be for so long, nothing will save this season we just need to restart with a coach that the players want to play for and will actually listen to.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I would normally agree that this tanking rally is poor form and bugs me, but this season has been one big FU to the fans, so **** it. The people that run the team have shown a lack of pride and respect for the product. **** rolls downhill and the fans are going to feel cynical, this is what it looks like. (edit) I do see some getting carried away though, and others may not be reacting emotionally at all and are being pragmatic about it. I didn't mean to generalize everyone.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm not seeing the correlation between an nhl organization purposely tanking and fans being ok/happy with losing to get a higher pick... Fans have no influence on the team or what the organization does, finding some kind of silver lining for losing all the time isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't think the team is intentionally trying to lose, we're just a bad team this year due to sticking with Randy for so long and how low the team morale seem to be for so long, nothing will save this season we just need to restart with a coach that the players want to play for and will actually listen to.
Agreed, but some fans are not only happy with Ducks losing to get a higher pick, but are mad when they win a game. That's ridiculous to me.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Agreed, but some fans are not only happy with Ducks losing to get a higher pick, but are mad when they win a game. That's ridiculous to me.

Yeah, I do want to end up with the high draft pick, but I try not to celebrate defeats. The players are human beings; I can't imagine what it must be like coming to work when you've only won 3 of their last 23 games. I don't want to rain on their success when they do achieve good things.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I believe people are just unhappy when their team loses overall, especially this season when the signs where there to course correct earlier.

Yes, fans will get upset both when the team wins or loses at this point, they're just upset at the state and, besides trading players before the deadline, not a lot can be done to fix it.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Agree. For me though, it’s just a situation where I don’t stress over the actual results of each game. I would like to see them play well, and individuals play well. If they win, fine. If they lose, it’s no big deal, because at least there’s some tangible benefit to the loss, as small as it may be... whereas if they were in contention, I would be upset after every loss. Simple as that.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
OT. Supposedly Parros will be at Scotty's jersey retirement tomorrow. I'd love to boo him, but it wouldn't be appropriate to do that at a ceremony honoring Scott. Unless Scott asked Parros to be there, why did the Ducks think that would be a good idea. Boo!

He was there last night. One of my co-workers mention he was in one of the suites.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Pragmatism is distinct from glee, and so is positivity. Reveling in a loss is an abandonment of the whole point of playing a sport. It is evidence of poor character. It's the difference between saying "at least something positive might come of this" and "I hope this gets worse." It's the drunkard's shrug.

The stuff about improving your draft position is just hand-waving, the difference between picking 10 and 4th or whatever is marginal and largely down to luck, and in any case there is no magic 18 year old that can fix the team. There's no excuse.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Pragmatism is distinct from glee, and so is positivity. Reveling in a loss is an abandonment of the whole point of playing a sport. It is evidence of poor character. It's the difference between saying "at least something positive might come of this" and "I hope this gets worse." It's the drunkard's shrug.

The stuff about improving your draft position is just hand-waving, the difference between picking 10 and 4th or whatever is marginal and largely down to luck, and in any case there is no magic 18 year old that can fix the team. There's no excuse.
Unless that 18 year old is an amazing coach/injury prevention officer. :nod:

Reactions: The Baffled King

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

To be fair, I'm not sure I see a single poster who is gleefully celebrating losses, maybe one? I don't really get the tank outrage from you here.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I'll add that another common denominator that gets ignored is goaltending. The teams that have been in the basement for years have never seemed to figure it out and the teams that are always successful never seem to have too much trouble with it. We're a good example, goaltendings not always been a major strength but its rarely been a problem and as a result you have a franchise that's missed the playoffs twice in 15 years or whatever. This year bucks that a bit but it's also why I'm absolutely not worried about becoming another Edmonton, we've got that part figured out.

Reactions: ohcomeonref
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad