Speculation: Are Right Handed Defense traded less often ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Right handed is not the same thing as a right shot. Most people are right handed. Most right handed people shoot left. Right handed defensemen are MORE common than left handed defensemen, while right shooting defensemen are less common.
For the purposes of this discussion ... right handed D is right shot D.
More specifically they use a righty stick where the right hand is lower hand and the left hand is closer to the butt end of the stick.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
For the purposes of this discussion ... right handed D is right shot D.
More specifically they use a righty stick where the right hand is lower hand and the left hand is closer to the butt end of the stick.

I know, I get it, it's just a pet peeve when people use "right handed" because I worry that some people don't realize most people shoot on the opposite side of their "good" hand ;)

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I know, I get it, it's just a pet peeve when people use "right handed" because I worry that some people don't realize most people shoot on the opposite side of their "good" hand ;)
Was this really important to the discussion? Because it's not.

Reactions: exporta

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Last night Dallas played not 3, but 4 right handed defencemen. Once Johns is back from injury we will be able to play 5 right handed defencemen per night. You should all tremble at our brick wall of Klingberg, Johns, Honka, Carrik, and last but certainly not least Polak.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I wouldn't say the Canes have a terribly-weak LD. It's just not as good as the right side.

Slavin, DeHaan, Fleury, Bean is nothing to laugh at...it just seems like the Canes are weak on the LD side because TVR is playing out of position in order to showcase both Faulk and TVR because 4 Top-4-quality RD is at-least 1 too many.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't say the Canes have a terribly-weak LD. It's just not as good as the right side.

Slavin, DeHaan, Fleury, Bean is nothing to laugh at...it just seems like the Canes are weak on the LD side because TVR is playing out of position in order to showcase both Faulk and TVR because 4 Top-4-quality RD is at-least 1 too many.

I was only replying to the loaded at RD part.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Damn the habs are like the only team loaded with RDs now and in the prospect pool but have a terribly weak LD side.
RDs:
Weber
Petry
Brook
Juulsen
Fleury
And some more depth guys.
Chicago too.
Jokiharju
Boqvist
Murphy
Mitchell
and the overpaid, but solid (gasp)
Seabrook
and then the extra D
Rutta

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs are stock piled on the RD side. Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook. Give us a call and we will listen but don't come asking for us to liquidate our assets.

There does seem to be a shortage of potential RD guys available.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Chicago too.
Jokiharju
Boqvist
Murphy
Mitchell
and the overpaid, but solid (gasp)
Seabrook
and then the extra D
Rutta

The Islanders as well. The RD group looks good, the LD group is pitiful and even more pitiful if Leddy is traded.

RD
Boychuk
Pulock
Mayfield
Dobson
Wilde

LD
Leddy
a small army of 3rd pairing types.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
According to HF, RHD are unicorns that crap out gold coins so they never get moved unless you overpay with an arm, a leg and your testicles.

Bottom pairing RHD are nothing special. Connor Carrick was traded for a conditional 6th, McQuaid was traded for a bunch of junk.

Top4 RHD are probably a little more valuable than their LHD counterparts, but not nearly as much as HF seems to think.

So, if the quantity is only slightly less, and they are only slightly less valuable, why haven't we been able to acquire one?

There's only 2 possible answers:
  1. We haven't been trying to get one.
  2. Our management is incompetent.
Which one is it?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
So, if the quantity is only slightly less, and they are only slightly less valuable, why haven't we been able to acquire one?

There's only 2 possible answers:
  1. We haven't been trying to get one.
  2. Our management is incompetent.
Which one is it?

"So, if the quantity is only slightly less, and they are only slightly (more) valuable"

There aren't a surplus of top4 LHD on the market either. LHD are scarce and RHD are slightly more scarce. The Leafs haven't acquired a RHD because a) there are very few available and b) they haven't found a deal that they like.

The point of the posts that you quoted is that the value difference between LHD and RHD is drastically overstated by many on HF. If you look at the Leddy thread, you can see that prices are generally in the 1st+prospects/picks range, whereas any RHD thread to the Leafs is NYLANDER OR BUST. It's awfully silly IMO.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Trade Erik Karlsson, the best RHD in the world, for whatever scraps you can get - said Eugene Melnyk

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
"So, if the quantity is only slightly less, and they are only slightly (more) valuable"

There aren't a surplus of top4 LHD on the market either. LHD are scarce and RHD are slightly more scarce. The Leafs haven't acquired a RHD because a) there are very few available and b) they haven't found a deal that they like.

The point of the posts that you quoted is that the value difference between LHD and RHD is drastically overstated by many on HF. If you look at the Leddy thread, you can see that prices are generally in the 1st+prospects/picks range, whereas any RHD thread to the Leafs is NYLANDER OR BUST. It's awfully silly IMO.

So, LHD are scarce and RHD are even more scarce then, like very/extremely scarce. So, "they haven't found the deal they like" sure seems like an admission that HF posters that think they are going to get a deal done for scraps is completely unrealistic and that management have so far been unwilling to pay market prices for that coveted RHD defender. I don't see any scenario where anything is being drastically overstated as you claim. Then again, I don't subscribe to the idea that we are being persecuted either by other fanbases. In fact, oddly what you have presented is strong evidence of the contrary.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->