Are playoffs still makeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Even though Detroit is looking average this year.. I still don't think they miss. They'll Datsyuk up a playoff spot like every other year. :)

Blues are likely the only team that can be caught... and of course it won't be easy.

Oilers likely will need ~54 pts to insure they get in as they won't have the tiebreaker advantage over the teams ahead of them right now.

They need 19 pts in 15 games imo... tough but not impossible. They are playing at a 1.4 pt per game pace over their last 10... that pace would get them 21 pts over their final 15 games... 56 pts definitely would get them in.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
So, if they win tomorrow, are they buyers or sellers at the TD? Making the show would be a nice surprise for this year, but what if a seller's deal becomes available that will hurt our immediate playoff chances, but solve a major weakness and set us up nicely for the long term?

Personally, if the playoffs are within reach, I think it's probably worth more to the team in terms of the experience and potential success. There will be other opportunities to improve the roster.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Eberle, RNH, and Hall have awoken and can produce down the stretch then it's a possibility.

We're also not getting as much out of Yakupov and Jones as we should be and Justin Schultz can provide more too.

So at least there's that -- we're still somehow right in the hunt despite our offence being terribad for most of the season.

Musicman798

Feb 28, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So, if they win tomorrow, are they buyers or sellers at the TD. Making the show would be a nice surprise for this year, but what if a seller's deal becomes available that will hurt our immediate playoff chances, but solve a major weakness and set us up nicely for the long term?

Personally, if the playoffs are within reach, I think it's probably worth more to the team in terms of the experience and potential success. There will be other opportunities to improve the roster.

One could hope that the Oilers getting into the playoffs could be a sign to UFAs this year that we are ready to compete.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
just excited to see us playing meaningful games right now and doing better than previously. Any indication we are improving is really all I need.

Playoffs were always a stretch goal in terms of MY expectations, if we somehow squeak in it will be amazing and these guys will have worked hard to do so.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I love that we are in it. Last few years i'd stop looking at standings somewhere in february
So much more exciting to be in the thick of it just one point out of 8th at the moment

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Even though Detroit is looking average this year.. I still don't think they miss. They'll Datsyuk up a playoff spot like every other year. :)

Blues are likely the only team that can be caught... and of course it won't be easy.

Oilers likely will need ~54 pts to insure they get in as they won't have the tiebreaker advantage over the teams ahead of them right now.

They need 19 pts in 15 games imo... tough but not impossible. They are playing at a 1.4 pt per game pace over their last 10... that pace would get them 21 pts over their final 15 games... 56 pts definitely would get them in.

I dunno, if the hockey gods are watching, they will probably ensure that Detroit misses the playoffs by 1 point and then wins the lottery to "steal" Jones away from the Panthers, Avs or Flames. And the same HF posters who were so pleased about the lottery change so teams wouldn't "pull an Edmonton" for a high pick will lose their minds at the unfairness of it all.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I dunno, if the hockey gods are watching, they will probably ensure that Detroit misses the playoffs by 1 point and then wins the lottery to "steal" Jones away from the Panthers, Avs or Flames. And the same HF posters who were so pleased about the lottery change so teams wouldn't "pull an Edmonton" for a high pick will lose their minds at the unfairness of it all.

Regardless of who finishes just outside of the playoffs, I hope they win the lottery to expose the idiocy of the system.

We should be emulating the NFL and focusing on parity, not a star-driven league like the NBA. If you aren't one of the 6-7 contenders in the NBA, you have no realistic shot at winning the championship. That's why it makes sense to have a lottery featuring all the non-playoff teams. In the NHL, any team that makes the playoffs has a shot at winning it. In the NHL, the worst teams, however, are much worse off than borderline playoff teams. They deserve the 1st overall picks.

Koto

May 3, 2011
lottery system is stupid. if you were going to tank before...youre still going to tank for best odds and fallback protection.

all it does is let some not so horrible team end up with the best player for some stupid reason.

if you want to avoid tanking, then it would have to be a non weighted lottery.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just trying to be realistic, as games get more important the physical intensity will increase.

One would think, but the reality is sometimes the opposite with the games NOT getting more important.

Since the capped era you have a bunch of teams already made the playoffs and could care less where they finish because one playoff team is pretty much as good as another, and then you sometimes have a handful of teams competing for the Toilet bowl.

Really of the teams not currently in I would say we are competing with Dallas and Phoenix. None of the other clubs even show signs of wanting to make it. (well save for Columbus who just aren't good enough no matter how hard thomas the little engine that couldn't tries.)

On most nights you'll see teams not playing as hard as us. If the Oilers play out the stretch hard and leave it all on the ice.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Eberle, RNH, and Hall have awoken and can produce down the stretch then it's a possibility.

We're also not getting as much out of Yakupov and Jones as we should be and Justin Schultz can provide more too.

So at least there's that -- we're still somehow right in the hunt despite our offence being terribad for most of the season.

Add Petry to that. Like I said before, If Petry + the top line continue from what they were doing last night, we're the best team that is trying to make the playoffs.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
lottery system is stupid. if you were going to tank before...youre still going to tank for best odds and fallback protection.

all it does is let some not so horrible team end up with the best player for some stupid reason.

Maybe they should hold a separate playoffs to see who wins 1st pick :sarcasm:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Agreed. Say Crosby and Malkin went down this year and Pittsburgh missed the playoffs by a point. How would it be fair that they could add Seth Jones to their team?

jetsfan85*

Pretty good those teams all list. Jackets have played way more games then us. Dont fret about them

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Columbus has way unsustainable goaltending floating them in this quality string of games and they lose the tiebreak against every team in the conference, save Calgary and Colorado.

Dallas and Detroit losing in regulation makes this a great day for the Oilers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad