Speculation: Are Penguins done in terms of trades?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Since they went for Zucker, I’d imagine they’ll make at least a couple of minor moves to shore up depth and look to make a run.

Reactions: Pengwins

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
According to Wes Crosby (who covers the team), Rutherford wouldn't rule it out.

In Rutherford talk, that usually means he's seeing if he can get another trade done. Furthermore, I think the only reason he'd "rule it out" is if he doesn't see one coming together. As others have mentioned, it will probably be a depth player. They already made their big move by bringing in Zucker.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Reports out of pitt say they are NOT done. They may shore up D and one more gritty forward for the 4th line

Reactions: BHD

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
DONE???

The phones are ringing off the hook because GMs around the league are salivating over the chance that they could be the ones to land players like Nick Bjudstad or Justin Schultz. If you play your cards right you might even be able to pry Chad Ruhwedel or even Jack Johnson away!

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Hopefully we can trade Bjugstad to a team. Not sure who would be interested.

Other than that I think we stay quiet. As others said, maybe a depth D man in case Marino takes long to recover.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
DONE???

The phones are ringing off the hook because GMs around the league are salivating over the chance that they could be the ones to land players like Nick Bjudstad or Justin Schultz. If you play your cards right you might even be able to pry Chad Ruhwedel or even Jack Johnson away!
Shultz would be a good player on any team. Johnson has been solid. Ruhwedel is depth. Bjugstad is the only dead weight right now

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He traded our first rounder and one of our few decent prospects, so any moves will be minor tweaks. They don’t have the assets to make another splash.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Someone on the Pens board mentioned Nate Thompson, could definitely see that happening. Depth dmen I could also see happening like the Mark Streit trade we made in 17. I don't see major pieces being moved, late round picks/long shot prospects/potentially Jusso Riikola would probably be what's being moved.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Still of the belief that the Pens need another scorer. Felt they needed one before Jake got hurt, so if Zucker replaces Jake, there still is a need for 1. It would have to be a creative deal focused on futures and/or prospects. I’d be targeting one of six teams......Ducks, Wings, Kings, Sens, Sabres, or Preds.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Someone on the Pens board mentioned Nate Thompson, could definitely see that happening. Depth dmen I could also see happening like the Mark Streit trade we made in 17. I don't see major pieces being moved, late round picks/long shot prospects/potentially Jusso Riikola would probably be what's being moved.

Always loved Nate. I'm on board with this

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If Bjugstad is healthy I can't imagine him being on the Pens playoff roster. I'm guessing he'll be gone by the TDL.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Trevor Daley, if he can be had very cheap, makes perfect sense because of the familiarity. He knows the system and was well liked in the room. It's doubtful he sees the ice though unless there are a rash of injuries, sort of like Mark Streit in 2017 for a 4th. Would DET do a 4th for Daley? They do have 8 D they are comfortable playing but GMJR has said in the past he likes to have 9 for a playoff run in case of emergency.

At F, I could see them going after a #3 LW. When and if healthy (thats a big if on that team), I see the F group looking like this:

Zucker Crosby Simon
Kahun Malkin Rust
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist
ZAR Bleuger Tanev
Lafferty

the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines look great. 3rd line is a problem.

McCann has shown these past few weeks he's way better at C than W, and Bjugstad is no guarantee to play again this season. He was expected back from core muscle surgery weeks ago, was skating even before Crosby was, but lately he's been a ghost. Seems like a complication in recovery or a new injury. If they aren't optimistic on Bjugstad, and think like I do that McCann should play 3C, then they need another LW. Lafferty can do it but that's not ideal in the playoffs. Simon could also do it if they get another guy for Crosby's RW, but Sid really likes Simon and they have enough scoring punch now with Zucker that they can live with Simon not scoring much.

I wonder what Craig Smith or Granlund would cost from Nashville. Either one could help push Simon or Kahun down the lineup. After watching how many goals Granlund set up for Zucker, I'd really love to see the two of them with Sid. Could be special.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If Bjugstad is healthy I can't imagine him being on the Pens playoff roster. I'm guessing he'll be gone by the TDL.
Bjugs being healthy is a huge IF, and for him to have any trade value at all he needs to play some games and show he's still healthy. Otherwise, they'll keep him, get him in games down the stretch to knock off the rust and then use him as a depth piece for the POs, trading him in the summer.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Daley makes sense have also heard they lookimg to add a veteran forward to the group... jeff Carter??? Joe Thornton? Any other ideas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->