Speculation: Are Panthers sellers this season?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
We are likely sellers in the realm that we'll move some guys like Brouwer and Brassard. Don't expect any key players to go unless someone takes Reimer.

Reactions: Laus723

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lots of talk in Van that Florida wants Gudbranson back badly and that Florida management and coach think the Panthers are SOFT.

Not sure what the return is. 3rd ? 4th? A struggling prospect ?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We are likely sellers in the realm that we'll move some guys like Brouwer and Brassard. Don't expect any key players to go unless someone takes Reimer.

so keep a core unit that keeps missing the playoffs??

ok I understand .... keep Barkov - easy choice

But why Dadanov? or Hoffman? for example...

I still don't even understand the Brassard trade. Panthers lost that one

Papa044

Aug 2, 2005
Miami, FL

Our goalies and defense blew this season for us not our offense.

Also, what is there not to understand about the brassard trade? We cleared bjugstad cap and can flip brassard for a decent draft pick. Bjugstad needed a change of scenery, he was essentially useless here.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015

Cap space for Bob and panarin and a ton of picks (after they move Brass and Riley) for 2 players underachieving. What dont you get?

Reactions: klabob

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There have been strong rumors everywhere that they will go very hard for Panarin and Bob this summer. With that noted it wouldn't be surprising to see them move out a winger. They also have 3 really strong winger prospects, so there are multiple reasons why you could see a guy like Hoffman be moved, as they plan to replace them both externally and internally.

I think Dads stays, but there have been rumors on both Hoffman and Hubby. I think Fla will try and clear cap space as well as find a RHD preferably a more shutdown guy as they feel they could use more size on the back end.

Hoffman is the most likely and if they can get someone to take Reimer that'd help a bunch too. If you've followed recent games their barn has been EMPTY, so they're really counting on a big splash this summer to bring fans back.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Brassard for a 2nd
Pysyk for a 2nd (has one year left on deal)
Sheahan for a 3rd
Brouwer/McGinn for a 4th

Can retain $$ on any if need be but add a mid pick or c level prospect.

Hoffman or Dadonov wouldn't be moved until offseason.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

I think dadanov is one of the main pulls for getting panarin / Bob in the summer.
(I believe they played on a line in the khl / train and vacation together ?)

Plus he's better at playing rw than the other two

They will prob move one of Hoffman or huberdeau in the off season if they get panarin.

The brassard trade was to clear cap for next year . And they will prob trade him for another pick as well

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Florida should sell only assets it won't be needing next year, save cap space for the Russians.
Florida is one of the best destination for Russian players, its never Winter in Florida, it skips winter & goes right to an early spring. If Podkolzin drops in the draft to them they will draft him.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Lots of talk in Van that Florida wants Gudbranson back badly and that Florida management and coach think the Panthers are SOFT.

Not sure what the return is. 3rd ? 4th? A struggling prospect ?

He’s literally the worst defenseman in the league. You wouldn’t get any of those things for him unless you package him with a 1st.

Reactions: klabob

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Because the reason they miss the playoffs is goaltending don't need to trade core players to fix that

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
one of the softest in the league

Josh Brown has been a pleasant surprise in this department...also a lot steadier defensively than a guy like Gudbranson.

In regards to whether or not they are sellers...I think two out of Brassard, Sheahan and Brouwer get moved for sure. I don't think we'll see a Hoffman deal (if it happens, will be off-season). On the D side, Kiselevich could be had for a mid-late pick.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pretty sure they are sellers of their UFA players
I really think they will be a very aggressive team in the off season, so whatever salary they could get rid of now they will

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

Dadonov or Huberdeau might be traded next summer, but not at the TDL. Panthers are not going to trade them for picks and/or prospects. They're not UFA.

As for the Brassard trade, it was in fact a pretty good and smart move made by Tallon for many reasons. If you still can't figure it out, then I can't help you. Sorry.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Dadonov or Huberdeau might be traded next summer, but not at the TDL. Panthers are not going to trade them for picks and/or prospects. They're not UFA.

I could see one of them, mainly Hoffman traded to a contender if they still want to shed salary. Who knows what the plan is right now.

Trading Hoff to a playoff team that will have two runs with him should be far more valuable and fetch a top prospect.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I can see Hoffman getting moved for a top 4 shutdown D-man but doubt it will happen by trade deadline. Don’t think Tallon pulls the trigger unless he has his replacement(Panarin) signed first.

Can see Brassard, Sheahan, Haley, Kiselevich shipped out for picks.

Possibly Pysyk as well in offseason if we trade for a top 4 Dman.

Expect them to buy out Reimer in offseason and if we get Bob, Luongo/Monty will split time as backups next season as both combined salaries for the backups will be less then Reimer is making this season.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I could see one of them, mainly Hoffman traded to a contender if they still want to shed salary. Who knows what the plan is right now.

Trading Hoff to a playoff team that will have two runs with him should be far more valuable and fetch a top prospect.

Who knows...

But I really doubt that Hoffman or any other good players under contract are going to be traded at the TDL. It never happens (very rarely at least) and there's no reason for the Panthers to do that.

They don't need prospects and/or draft picks. Their core players are young, good and under good contracts.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Given Dadonov has put up 110 points in his last 132 games he'd be a very nice piece for the Panthers to find another Top 4 defenseman, letting Matheson focus on the PP while playing less minutes. Matheson is just not quite improving like he should be in his overall game enough. Beyond Yandle and Ekblad there are a bunch of 4/5/6 defensemen and none of them have cemented Top 4 status.

Dadonov could be swapped with Leddy and Skarek (excellent goalie prospect) over the summer in a win-win for both teams . . . of course that assumes Dadonov would waive his NMC. Hoffman might fit that too.

A long shot would be Huberdeau during the summer for a Top defender if Bob and Panarin are already signed. Something like Huberdeau for Leddy, Bellows and Skarek would be good for both teams since Bellows would slot nicely as a goal scorer on the 3rd line for the Panthers next season. Maybe throw in one of our D prospects at Bridgeport who have a lot of talent ahead of them, like Vande Sompel or Witherspon.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Something like Huberdeau for Leddy, Bellows and Skarek would be good for both teams since Bellows would slot nicely as a goal scorer on the 3rd line for the Panthers next season. Maybe throw in one of our D prospects at Bridgeport who have a lot of talent ahead of them, like Vande Sompel or Witherspon.
this would be brutal for the panthers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad