are neck guards and wrist guards worth the money?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I wore a youth hard collar while goaltending and had a puck bounce directly off of it. I much preferred that to it hitting my bare neck. Sadly, i lost that collar one day, and couldn't ever find it again.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
since you are a rather knowledgable regular poster I'm not gonna be a dick. please go back and read my original post. I pretty much said what you are saying here. BTW my injury also sliced through my hockey pants. the material is pretty close to the density of the non kevlar neck guards.

hockey pants are made of a different material than a neck guard, thats why in canada the neck guards have to be CSA approved. pants not so much

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
yes I have, I have kids that play.

did you even read my post?

the thin foam ones aren't going to protect you from **** was my point.

Foam ones? In Canada at least, while they have a little foamy padding, they're exterior is a tough nylon sort of substance and they have to be certified.

What you describe does indeed seem useless in the same way a knitted wool seat belt is useless. Get an appropriate one however and they will do as advertised.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I guess I am jus not getting across my point. the neck guards I have seen are made with a nylon outer shell and some foam padding underneath. the nylon type substance is, from what I have seen, no thicker than the shell of a hockey pant. And since I have personally been stabbed by a skate through my hockey pant, and all the layers underneath my hockey pants to leave me with a pretty big zipper, I question how much the neck guards will actually protect someone from a Zednik type injury. Now if someone were to wear one of the compression shirt with the rather large neck guard that is built in I would think that may do some good. I dont agree that a neck guard that just wraps around the neck with a piece of velcro to close it. That is really not attached in any other way. that only is made from the nylon type material that a hockey pant shell is made from. Isnt going to protect some one very much. Since this is the type of neck guard that I see most kids wear, that I also see for sale in most hockey shops.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I guess I am jus not getting across my point. the neck guards I have seen are made with a nylon outer shell and some foam padding underneath. the nylon type substance is, from what I have seen, no thicker than the shell of a hockey pant. And since I have personally been stabbed by a skate through my hockey pant, and all the layers underneath my hockey pants to leave me with a pretty big zipper, I question how much the neck guards will actually protect someone from a Zednik type injury. Now if someone were to wear one of the compression shirt with the rather large neck guard that is built in I would think that may do some good. I dont agree that a neck guard that just wraps around the neck with a piece of velcro to close it. That is really not attached in any other way. that only is made from the nylon type material that a hockey pant shell is made from. Isnt going to protect some one very much. Since this is the type of neck guard that I see most kids wear, that I also see for sale in most hockey shops.

To put this to rest, the neckguard materials are BNQ-certified while the nylon in your pants were not.

That's it.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

It is not the same material. End of story.

As for neck guards, I'm a goalie and I've worn a Crouch goalie neck guard through minor hockey. It's uncomfortable, but in a game I don't notice it. I'd like to try a Maltese collar, they're getting good reviews. I unfortunately left my Crouch collar at home when I moved out to Halifax (for university), and I've been playing without one. I'm not too concerned though, I wear a dangler. I do want to get a Maltese soon though and try it out, more for the extra collarbone protection if anything. I've taken a puck or two to the dangler and there can be some bruising from that.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
In Sweden we had a player die here back in '95 in an exhibition game between two teams from SEL and Allsvenskan. In the following off-season neck guards were made mandatory for all players in Sweden.
Speaking of Sweden i bought a swedish made neck guard. Leaf sports i believe is the manufacturer.

Maybe you can confirm.

Its great. Its thin like a turtleneck and is made of cut resistant material and is basically a thin jersey like material for the "shirt" part of it with the cut resistant turtle neck sewn onto the shirt part.

Dont even know its there.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Yeah, I can't really see a skate blade cutting through the neck-guard's material. You'd still get a nasty bruise underneath in the event of someone stepping on your neck, though lol.

SCritical

I've always felt that the issue of comfort vs. safety is entirely up to the individual. I never wear a neck guard, despite the other women in my club nagging me about it. Why? It's too darn uncomfortable. I don't have much of a neck so when I put it on I feel like I'm being strangled.

But if you think you'll feel safer wearing one, then by all means get one. Again, it's all about what makes you comfortable

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've always felt that the issue of comfort vs. safety is entirely up to the individual. I never wear a neck guard, despite the other women in my club nagging me about it. Why? It's too darn uncomfortable. I don't have much of a neck so when I put it on I feel like I'm being strangled.

But if you think you'll feel safer wearing one, then by all means get one. Again, it's all about what makes you comfortable

Haha, have you tried looking into smaller sized neckguards?

SCritical

Haha, have you tried looking into smaller sized neckguards?

Yeah. I actually made a whole thread moaning about that months ago because they're mandatory for women's league (but not for house which I'm playing right now.) At someone's suggestion I bought a Bauer undershirt with the integrated kelvar neck guard which was definately an improvement, but rules permitting I much prefer nothing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad