NBA Are Lowry and Derozan the two worst big match players of all time?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Serious thread, I've honestly never seen two 'all-star level' players shrink in big games they way these guys do. Every playoffs, both of their numbers plummet, both from a total production and efficiency standpoint. Derozan literally got benched for much of the last two games against the Cavs last year and Lowry just had another horrid night against a team that the Raps needed to get a statement win over, and it's not the first time that's happened this year and certainly not in years prior. I honestly think Lowry's inability to perform in big games could potentially cost the Raps again this playoffs, and as a chain reaction, could be a catalyst to Kawhi signing elsehwere

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't mind Derozan but it's Lowry that I would like to see a lot more from. The Raptors have Leonard this year, good chance for them to win. I don't know if Lowry being there would help them or hurt them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
DeRozan was Horrible for the raptors. Not to say he didn't do a lot for in his 7 seasons there but when the team matured into one of the best teams in the east(wasn't that hard though) his game regressed. His attitude was piss poor also. His ego got the best of him when he was traded, his true skill is now very evident in San Antonio, good>allstar. Lowry on the other hand has the right type of attitude on the court. He is a fighter. He has some of the same ego issues as DeFrozen but I think he is a pretty good point guard. His biggest problem is that he forces way to many shots. He needs to focus more on keeping the offence flowing and hitting open shots as opposed to jacking up 3's too much. Needs to take the ball to the rim and draw fouls.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
DeRozan was Horrible for the raptors. Not to say he didn't do a lot for in his 7 seasons there but when the team matured into one of the best teams in the east(wasn't that hard though) his game regressed. His attitude was piss poor also. His ego got the best of him when he was traded, his true skill is now very evident in San Antonio, good>allstar. Lowry on the other hand has the right type of attitude on the court. He is a fighter. He has some of the same ego issues as DeFrozen but I think he is a pretty good point guard. His biggest problem is that he forces way to many shots. He needs to focus more on keeping the offence flowing and hitting open shots as opposed to jacking up 3's too much. Needs to take the ball to the rim and draw fouls.

Poor attitude? DeRozan was nothing but a professional while with the team. Unless you're trying to pin his mental health struggles on him, which is just crude.

Sure he was mad and perhaps a bit whiny when he got dealt but who wouldn't be? Team committed to him as a guy going forward and he's out on his ass weeks later. I don't blame Masai for doing it because sports, like any other industry is cutthroat. But i still understand why DeRozan felt the way he did.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It did seem like Lowry and DeRo together were mental midgets come playoff time. Year after year they'd tremble before LeBron and the Raps would repeat the same frustrating playoff exits, after near no-shows from their top pair. I still think Masai essentially railroaded DeRozan out of Toronto, unceremoniously after he had JUST told him he was safe, and only a little while after DeRozan had been one of few NBA All Star players to actually seem like they enjoyed playing here, committing to re-signing here.

That said, can't argue with results and the Raps are in a better place now, post-trade. I just wish, for once, they'd actually send out a full roster on a consistent basis instead of Coach Nurse constantly preaching this "load management" theory while he's resting Kawhi every other game. :laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Poor attitude? DeRozan was nothing but a professional while with the team. Unless you're trying to pin his mental health struggles on him, which is just crude.

Sure he was mad and perhaps a bit whiny when he got dealt but who wouldn't be? Team committed to him as a guy going forward and he's out on his ass weeks later. I don't blame Masai for doing it because sports, like any other industry is cutthroat. But i still understand why DeRozan felt the way he did.

It did seem like Lowry and DeRo together were mental midgets come playoff time. Year after year they'd tremble before LeBron and the Raps would repeat the same frustrating playoff exits, after near no-shows from their top pair. I still think Masai essentially railroaded DeRozan out of Toronto, unceremoniously after he had JUST told him he was safe, and only a little while after DeRozan had been one of few NBA All Star players to actually seem like they enjoyed playing here, committing to re-signing here.

That said, can't argue with results and the Raps are in a better place now, post-trade. I just wish, for once, they'd actually send out a full roster on a consistent basis instead of Coach Nurse constantly preaching this "load management" theory while he's resting Kawhi every other game. :laugh:
What was Masai supposed to do, tell DeRozan he might get traded? If it didn't happen DeRozan is the type of guy who would have left it boil over the next season, not to mention Lowry as well. Have you ever seen a professional athlete who gets traded act that way for that long? The GM's job is to always find the better player if possible. His reaction to getting traded is a prime example why Masai did it the way he did. It made Masai look bad but that's business. DeRozan got too comfortable being the guy in Toronto. It is as if he thought using Lebron as the primary excuse why the Raptors kept losing would overshadow the fact that he sucked in the playoffs. Now in San Antonio we see how DeRozan is not a superstar and is a borderline all-star. Because Lowry and DeRozan were so close they fed off each other emotionally and I felt where in country club mode. Saying DeRozan had a poor attitude has nothing to do with his mental state, it has to do with his body language and comments he made during games and in interviews.

As for not sending out a full roster, that's a strategy. Preserving the players for the playoffs is one thing but more importantly is not allowing other teams to make up a game plan to combat there full roster. With their skill alone the Raps know they will make the playoffs and if this is the only season they have Kawai they want to make sure teams can't see them at there best until it's playoff time. Cleveland could always beat them before because they knew exactly what the Raps were going to do.

When you look at How good Vegas did in their first NHL season nobody had a game plan on them and that helped them beat a lot of teams.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What was Masai supposed to do, tell DeRozan he might get traded? If it didn't happen DeRozan is the type of guy who would have left it boil over the next season, not to mention Lowry as well. Have you ever seen a professional athlete who gets traded act that way for that long? The GM's job is to always find the better player if possible. His reaction to getting traded is a prime example why Masai did it the way he did. It made Masai look bad but that's business. DeRozan got too comfortable being the guy in Toronto. It is as if he thought using Lebron as the primary excuse why the Raptors kept losing would overshadow the fact that he sucked in the playoffs. Now in San Antonio we see how DeRozan is not a superstar and is a borderline all-star. Because Lowry and DeRozan were so close they fed off each other emotionally and I felt where in country club mode. Saying DeRozan had a poor attitude has nothing to do with his mental state, it has to do with his body language and comments he made during games and in interviews.

As for not sending out a full roster, that's a strategy. Preserving the players for the playoffs is one thing but more importantly is not allowing other teams to make up a game plan to combat there full roster. With their skill alone the Raps know they will make the playoffs and if this is the only season they have Kawai they want to make sure teams can't see them at there best until it's playoff time. Cleveland could always beat them before because they knew exactly what the Raps were going to do.

Honest question, is there a reason why Masai is always the one making moves and giving interviews?

The GM of the Raptors is Bobby Webster, but it's almost as if that's just Masai's alias. Never seen the guy, he doesn't talk or do much of anything. It's the Masai Show, 24/7. :laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Honest question, is there a reason why Masai is always the one making moves and giving interviews?

The GM of the Raptors is Bobby Webster, but it's almost as if that's just Masai's alias. Never seen the guy, he doesn't talk or do much of anything. It's the Masai Show, 24/7. :laugh:
I think Webster is really the assistant GM. He takes care of the paper work while Masai is the one taking care of the roster and presides over the hole organization.

After reading up on him a little he seems like an analytics guy with NBA head office experience .

"In 2007, Webster became the league’s associate director of salary cap management and helped with the old Collective Bargaining Agreement. Webster familiarized himself with the intricacies of how the association dealt with player salaries along with its complex policies and regulations.
“I’ve always believed that my time in New York helped mold my mind as I assisted organizations in building their teams” – Webster
At just 26, Webster became a principal architect of the new CBA thanks to the 2011 NBA lockout. Once the strike ended, he became a hot commodity.
Several team execs looked to him to help them reconstruct their rosters. Among them was Ujiri, who was working with Denver. Webster helped the Nuggets and several other teams properly build a team.
When Ujiri took over the Raptors in 2013, he hired Webster to become the team’s new Vice President of Basketball Management and Strategy.
Four years later, Webster became the team’s new General Manager."

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd be pretty ticked off if my boss told me I'm safe and then sent me packing days later.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
let him know they're thinking of trading him instead of lying to him?

Athletes are people too. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt the deal since the Spurs wanted to just be rid of Khawi at that point anyway.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
let him know they're thinking of trading him instead of lying to him?

Athletes are people too. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt the deal since the Spurs wanted to just be rid of Khawi at that point anyway.
What if the trade didn't happen because a team at the last second made a better offer for Kawai? Do you honestly think Demar knowing he was going to be traded would result in a committed player next season? What about Lowry knowing they were going to trade his best friend? If Wayne Gretzky can get traded......

This is professional sports and not a 9 to 5 job. You are only as good until someone else comes along who is better, no? Isn't Kawai better?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Popovich benched DeRozan for final play so Spurs could attempt 3 for win over Philly. Now he has been out the last 2 games with a sore knee, coincidence?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What if the trade didn't happen because a team at the last second made a better offer for Kawai? Do you honestly think Demar knowing he was going to be traded would result in a committed player next season? What about Lowry knowing they were going to trade his best friend? If Wayne Gretzky can get traded......

This is professional sports and not a 9 to 5 job. You are only as good until someone else comes along who is better, no? Isn't Kawai better?

All nonsense. DeRozan was arguably hurt more by the trade the way it happened and he still showed up ready to go for the Spurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->