Are Delays for Broken Glass Still a Thing?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I remember delays for broken glass on the boards being a thing in the 90s. Not common in terms of a daily thing, but a couple of times a year it felt like there was a game where the glass needed to be replaced due to a hard check or slap shot etc.

Can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen a delay for a glass change. Are the boards/glass way better nowadays or does this still happen every so often?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
True. You use to see it much more often.
Anyone remember Janet Gretzky being knocked out cold by a glass being knocked out of place while Wayne was playing with the Rangers?

Reactions: northeastern

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
True. You use to see it much more often.
Anyone remember Janet Gretzky being knocked out cold by a glass being knocked out of place while Wayne was playing with the Rangers?

Yeah, exactly.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I go to every game at Nationwide Arena and at most there are 1 or 2 times a year where the glass needs to be replaced during a game. Most of the time it's a small crack and they wait for a TV time out to replace it. Also the system they use to hold the glass in makes for easy replacement.

I can remember long delays in the early days of the team when the glass shattered and it took forever to get the replacement installed.

Reactions: Goose

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's faster to remove the glasspanel nowadays. Quick to get out, quick to get in, leads to hardly any delay.

Unless the frame gets broken, then you need more time.

Also, I think the material is less brittle and more flexible now (ie. doesn't outright break as easy).

Reactions: Goose

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I remember when Jonathan Cheechoo punctured the boards with his skate about 10 years ago, I was at this game and the delay seemed like forever:

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Would this have to do with the seamless glass they started using in every arena in the 90's, until the league got rid of it because it caused too many concussions & other injuries?

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
i once heard tale of teams at times using faulty panels in corners of rinks so players who hit heavy could make highlight reels by hitting someone there, a kind of manufactured excitement

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
one of the weirdest situations i've ever seen in a NHL game

If I remember correctly, they didn't have the right size glass for the panel that broke and had to cut one down. If that was the case, cutting down a piece of glass or even plexiglass that thick isn't something you can really rush.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
If you read the back of your ticket it warns you that if the glass gets shattered that it no longer gets replaced during the game. Basically a warning to 'really' stay alert if it happens near you...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Sometimes it is really funny:

BbLD0J3IgAAdL2W.jpg_large.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad