Are black jerseys a disadvantage?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
A team with a red or black jersey has played in every SCF since the 1990.

Red and black means making it to the SCF! :sarcasm:

77% chance a team in the SCF is wearing black or red, based on that data. The league as a whole fluctuates between 16 or 17 teams wearing black or red as their primary jersey in a given year, about 55%. Since there are 2 teams, that means you've got about an 82% chance of having one team wearing black or red, by my admittedly rusty math. So teams wearing black or red have actually underperformed.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
77% chance a team in the SCF is wearing black or red, based on that data. The league as a whole fluctuates between 16 or 17 teams wearing black or red as their primary jersey in a given year, about 55%. Since there are 2 teams, that means you've got about an 82% chance of having one team wearing black or red, by my admittedly rusty math. So teams wearing black or red have actually underperformed.
I think it's a 79.75% chance of at least one team having red or black.

77% probably isn't significant from 79.75, but I'm too lazy to do the statistical test.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
If you're talking about black stick tape, maybe I can see that being an advantage for a skater, disadvantage for a goalie. But yeah, the jerseys are too high to not differentiate between the equipment and a puck.

Even that has never been confirmed by goalies I talked to.

As for the jerseys, no. Plain and simple.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Questioning the entire premise of the thread is an off-topic discussion now?

It's a rather silly attempt...

I just thought it strange that people are questioning the premise of the thread based on something so unrelated that it's almost funny.

The question is, "are black jerseys a disadvantage?" What does winning the cup have anything to do with that? People are refuting the OP's statements/questions by listing teams that have won cups wearing certain colors. As if the color of your jersey will have a big enough impact to win or lose you a cup. The color of your jersey is definitely more important than how good your team is going into the playoffs.:sarcasm:

I'm sorry, but how is that questioning the premise of the thread? That's just going off-road, talking about fun-facts that are sorta-kinda related to the topic. That's like saying one of the reasons the Union won the civil war was because they wore blue. Yeah, they won the war, but did their uniforms really put them over the top to win?

Perhaps having black jerseys does cause a disadvantage. It's not going to be a game-changing disadvantage, so how could it be cup-changing? Jersey color doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and you all know that, but maybe it does create small disadvantages in any given game. Maybe Quick doesn't see that puck because it's moving through a maze of black jerseys instead of orange jerseys, and maybe the ref blows the whistle too soon during a scrum in front of the Penguins' net and takes a goal away because he lost sight of the puck in a pile of black uniforms.

The topic is about black jerseys causing disadvantages and losing sight of the puck, not teams who have won the cup while wearing black, or red, or whatever color, and I'm sure the OP didn't intend for the discussion to turn that direction anyways.

So yes, I'd say it's off-topic. But that's just my opinion.

(And just for the record, I don't mind discussing what you guys are discussing, but I'd rather talk about the actual topic at hand because it's more interesting and something I'd actually like to read about and get others' thoughts on. I already know what teams have won the cup in recent years.)

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It depends on what the OP is asking. Is he asking if it's a disadvantage for the team wearing black, or the team playing against the black team?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I've always had more trouble picking white jerseys out of my peripheral than coloured/black ones.

The white probably blends in more with the boards and the ice. I've never really had the same problem, but I could understand why.

Captain Mittens*

Yeah, I agree.

If it did cause a disadvantage, the Kings would not be having all their success. And you might as well throw those two cups out the window too. :laugh:

Please, tell us more about how the Kings were able to overcome their jersey color on their journey to success.

No problem Holmes

The Kings had a nice team and went on a good run
92-93%20Kings%20Season%20Ticket.jpg

then an evil stick got in the way
b_ton_mcsorley_93.0.jpg

We'll pretend this didn't happen
los-angeles-kings-wayne-gretzky.jpg

Then a giant mistake was made
98-99-jersey.jpg

Then a beautiful 3rd jersey happened
Kings_Blank_3rd_Jersey_Black_Front_1024x1024.jpg

and it became the primary jersey during the 2011-12 season and we know how that ended

146192104_std.jpg

and also
dustin-brown-nhl-stanley-cup-final-new-york-rangers-los-angeles-kings1.jpg

dames-end-title-still.jpeg

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Rangers
Islanders
Flyers
Leafs
Sabres
Thrashers / Jets
Blue Jackets
Predators
Blues
Wild
Stars
Sharks
Avalanche
Canucks
Oilers

Those are all the "non-red / black" teams in the NHL. Crazy to see the lack of success this group has had in recent years. I count 0 cups and only 4 finals appearances since 2002 (Oilers, Flyers, Canucks, Rangers).

That's a list of 15 teams that's 0/12 on cups and 4/24 on making the finals. Pretty silly but it's bordering on significant.

Muffhawks

Oct 17, 2011
Clearly OP doesn't play hockey, why would the colour of a jersey impact a player's vision of the ice or puck at all? I suppose black stick tape is a disadvantage as well since the puck could become lost on the blade of the stick? :shakehead

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Past research in social psychology has actually shown a correlation between wearing black and aggression. So I guess that's an advantage unless the penalties are excessive.

Sincerely, a psychology major

This. I remember reading the abstract on a study in a Psych class I had to take.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
i remember an article about teams in black sweaters getting more penalties called against them

Wasn't there a study that showed teams with black jersey get less penalties? Probably not spot on and it was quite awhile ago but i remember reading it.

HMMM.

On topic, I am more worrisome of those teams that choose to wear white jerseys. Blending into the ice is a humongous advantage when playing defense.

In that same thought process, everyone always says that the puck can hide itself on a stick taped with black tape when I played. I always thought the stick would be lost in the ice if the tape was white.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad