Are any of the owners going to step in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
It was good to see some of the players actually wake the hell up and (I guess) have some impact into the PA finally accepting a cap.

I wonder, since the gag order has been lifted, and when it gets down to crunch time, if any owner may step in and show some flexibilty, if GB refuses to budge on the $42.5M cap.

I don't think the NHL should have to budge, considering the players inflexibility on linkage, but I wonder if any owner is going to chime in before it's too late.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I doubt it. They have been pretty united and very focused throughout these negotiations. I truly think that the owners went in expecting to lose the season to get what they wanted. If the players come to their last offer, fine, if not then they impose their system next year. I just do not see them moving, especially after giving up linkage so that they are taking all of the risk, with no way of knowing how the lockout will impact revenues. Does a $42 million Cap seem unreasonable with those uncertainties?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Does a $42 million Cap seem unreasonable with those uncertainties?
No, I agree.
I think $42.5M was fine WITHOUT all of the uncertainty BEFORE the lockout.
After the lockout, $42.5M (with the insurance) is generous.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think an owner will step in.

As much as I hate the way Bettman has gone about through all of this (being as stiff, unreasonable to compromise), Bettman has accomplished amazing results up to now.

He got the Union to admit there was a problem (24% rollback). Then he got the union to cave (accepting a salary cap when they said there never ever would be one). He is just one more step away. I don't think the players are going to take that last step... but Bettman has somehow had his way up to now. The players have made the 2 biggest concessions (as they should have). Bettman will have to move to 45 or 46 (MINIMUM) for there to be a season. But that's all it is... Players must only take on more step downwards for it all to become reality.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
espion said:
I don't think an owner will step in.

As much as I hate the way Bettman has gone about through all of this (being as stiff, unreasonable to compromise), Bettman has accomplished amazing results up to now.

He got the Union to admit there was a problem (24% rollback). Then he got the union to cave (accepting a salary cap when they said there never ever would be one). He is just one more step away. I don't think the players are going to take that last step... but Bettman has somehow had his way up to now. The players have made the 2 biggest concessions (as they should have). Bettman will have to move to 45 or 46 (MINIMUM) for there to be a season. But that's all it is... Players must only take on more step downwards for it all to become reality.
Well the 24% figure depends on if you believe time is running on contracts .. If contacts are which I believe then they are reporting the 60% of the players will be RFA and UFA come July 1st ..

You can't give back 24% on an expired contract .. 24% of nothing is Nothing ..

Both sides say one thing but it really means something else.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Well the 24% figure depends on if you believe time is running on contracts .. If contacts are which I believe then they are reporting the 60% of the players will be RFA and UFA come July 1st ..

You can't give back 24% on an expired contract .. 24% of nothing is Nothing ..

Both sides say one thing but it really means something else.

the 24% effects the scale that new contracts will be measured by. If the 24 teams that are not loaded happen to have intelligent GMs... then the newly tailored 24% era contracts should stick. Especially with that hard cap the NHL is so serios about kicking in. GMs wouldn't have a choice but to respect the new scale. Can't afford to pay another Holik9 million$ when the cap is at 42.5 or even 45.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
espion said:
the 24% effects the scale that new contracts will be measured by. If the 24 teams that are not loaded happen to have intelligent GMs... then the newly tailored 24% era contracts should stick. Especially with that hard cap the NHL is so serios about kicking in. GMs wouldn't have a choice but to respect the new scale. Can't afford to pay another Holik9 million$ when the cap is at 42.5 or even 45.
"intelligent GMs" that is a Oxy Moron ..NO such thing that is why they need a hard Cap so they can't make mistakes in the future ..

While I agree Salaries are lower by the Hard Cap more then the 24% .. The biggest gains I suppose is on those Yashin, Holik, Jagr contracts with lots of years and Savings ..

A player like Brian Leetch making 6 mil .. with a contract to expire July 1st .. When the league starts up again and he wants to play he will take a contract based on the market and Cap room and not really the 24% put it does put a drag on Salaries to a point ..

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Nope, Bettman has raised the bar as much as he can. Owners will not step in, cause this is the max they're willing to do.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:
And I imagine the 8 big market teams owners will just be pleased as punch at losing a season over 2.5 million :lol:

Get a grip

We're talking 6.5 million + not 2.5 million (45 million is not an offer on the table). And yes, 6.5 million is a SERIOUS deal breaker, as it won't do anything for the league (won't restore competitive balance at all - not saying 42.5 will work miracles, but it's a start)....the fact that it's a soft cap adds even more to that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If Goodenow comes back and offers $45 or $46 and Bettman refuses, I'm sure he'll hear an earful, even from the owner that Al Morganti reported last night on Team990. This owner was one of the "eight" that Bettman has to reject any deal and according to Morganti, this owner said he would go up to $44 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad