Friedman: Arbitration Walk-Away Threshold

Mad Brills*

Hoffman's the only one I could see happening if he gets something way higher than the Sens thought.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hoffman's the only one I could see happening if he gets something way higher than the Sens thought.

Doubt it.

If he gets something higher than what the Sens want to pay, Dorion will probably just accept and then trade him to get assets back.

swedesens

Jul 21, 2016
Hoffman's fast and can score. That is proven. He has his limitations, but he will likely be in the 4.25 - 4.75 per season range. Anything less would be great for Ottawa. Sens are likely trying to get him for Turris/Stone money. (3.5 per).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
$3,906,593 if anyone wants the exact figure.

For clarification if people wanted to understand.....

This amount changes from year to year just like the salary cap changes and the RFA compensation table changes from year to year.

In an arbitration hearing if the awarded salary is above $3.9M amount mentioned above is when a team can refuse the arbitration award and walk away. Thus the player becomes a free agent.

An added note...it he Sobotka situation. He agreed to arbitration then went to Europe. To return to the NHL he needs to honor that contract. Thus St. Louis retain his rights.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Adding one more wrinkle: a team can't completely walk away from a club-selected two year salary arbitration like the Flyers are in with Brayden Schenn. If the team chooses to "walk away" from a two year deal then the award is reduced to a one year contract and the player will be a UFA after that contract.

For clarity: this only applies to Player-Elected salary arbitration when the Club selects 2 years. It does not apply to Club-Elected arbitration when the Player selects 2 years. In fact, there is no walk-away option at all for a Club-Elected salary arbitration.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
you would want to trade him if he doesn't sign long term in 2 weeks though right?

I guess it depends on the award. If its me I keep working to try to sign him long term.
If the award is somewhere between 5 and 6 I think that sets the bar.
There's always the trade dead line. I would suspect there would be trades that become available earlier than that as well. My hope is to sign him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Adding one more wrinkle: a team can't completely walk away from a club-selected two year salary arbitration like the Flyers are in with Brayden Schenn. If the team chooses to "walk away" from a two year deal then the award is reduced to a one year contract and the player will be a UFA after that contract.

For clarity: this only applies to Player-Elected salary arbitration when the Club selects 2 years. It does not apply to Club-Elected arbitration when the Player selects 2 years. In fact, there is no walk-away option at all for a Club-Elected salary arbitration.

Wait. So if a player decides to go to arbitration and the team asks for a 2 year contract, and the arbitrator gives him 2x3.9m+, the team cannot walk away from it? It just gets reduced to 1x3.9m+? But had they selected 1 year, they could have walked away from it and the player would be a UFA? Seems messed up. Like yeah we can't stand the AAV and didn't think he'd get anything near that much... so now instead of walking, we have to suck up just 1 year of a ****** award instead of 2 years? Seems messed up.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wait. So if a player decides to go to arbitration and the team asks for a 2 year contract, and the arbitrator gives him 2x3.9m+, the team cannot walk away from it? It just gets reduced to 1x3.9m+? But had they selected 1 year, they could have walked away from it and the player would be a UFA? Seems messed up. Like yeah we can't stand the AAV and didn't think he'd get anything near that much... so now instead of walking, we have to suck up just 1 year of a ****** award instead of 2 years? Seems messed up.

Yup. Remember the team knows walking into the arbitration that's how its gonna work if they opt for 2 years instead of 1 year. Just part of the decision making process.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And yet another detail: teams that exercise the second buy-out window following arbitration can only buyout players who:

(a) Were on the team reserve list as of the most recent TDL.
(b) Have an AAV greater then $3,069,466.

Alex Mills

With Tampa’s cap crunch and Arizona’s move today, have to wonder if Filppula and Zbynek Michalek are emerging candidates for the second buyout window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad