arbitration thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
how about changing the rule so that the only comparables a player can use is from his own team. this means small revenue teams will be able to insulate themselves better from payroll choices of the larger revenue teams.

dr

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
DementedReality said:
how about changing the rule so that the only comparables a player can use is from his own team. this means small revenue teams will be able to insulate themselves better from payroll choices of the larger revenue teams.

dr

yes; a) I like your idea and b) it still has to be the MLB way of doing it - 2-way arbitration and a limit of 1 or 2 times before said player reaches UFA

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:
dr

Not a bad thought but it wouldn't work.

Jarome Iginla has no "comparables" on the Flames etc. etc.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
Not a bad thought but it wouldn't work.

Jarome Iginla has no "comparables" on the Flames etc. etc.

true, but Iginla has never used arbitration either.

dr

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:
true, but Iginla has never used arbitration either.

dr

Not just players like Iginla have no "comparables".

Players get compared to others across the league.

#1 goalies to #1 goalies

3rd line centers to 3rd line centers

#1 defenseman to #1 defenseman.

Teams rarely have more than one of a certain thing.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Not just players like Iginla have no "comparables".

Players get compared to others across the league.

#1 goalies to #1 goalies

3rd line centers to 3rd line centers

#1 defenseman to #1 defenseman.

Teams rarely have more than one of a certain thing.

i like DR's idea, but as you say, some teams don't have any comparables, my only suggestion would be that the arbitrator, NOT the player, picks a team w/ a similar payroll and the comparison could be done.... maybe have a 3 mil margin each way as far as team payrolls are concerned, this would possibly give the arbitrator 2 or 3 teams to pick a comparable from

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:

dr

0% chance it happens. The players wouldn't agree to it. Teams wouldn't care that much. Tampa could have an all star lineup for $15m if they are stingy enough.

a) Teams would trade impending RFAs to Team Cheapo who then use their low salary to screw the player in arbitration. Team Cheapo then trades that player at screwed over salary.

b) it creates holdouts and salary wars, .

c) draft day madness and players tank to not get picked by the penguins (or whoever is cheap and has the #1 pick).

d) its just gets worse

The players would be better putting 50% of their wages into a revenue sharing scheme to help pick up the wages of playes on financially weak teams. The players on poor teams would be much happier with that.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
DementedReality said:

There aren't enough players. It won't work. The player proposal illustrates how their arbitration proposal would work using three examples from last year. It is interesting to look at the comparables used in those three arbitrations.

Biron's agent submitted Aebischer, Cloutier, Lalime and Dunham as comparables. The team countered with the same four players, plus Tomas Vokoun.

Ruslan Fedotenko named six players as being comparables. The team named five of the six (Bulis, Halpern, Stefan, LeClerc and Calder) missing only Afinogenov.

Ruslan Salei threw out seven names while his team countered with four (Gill, McKee Rathje and Warrener) that matched players on Salei's list. (Salei also thought Norstrom, McLaren and Carney should count.)

That's 18 comparables introduced in all with 14 in common which leads to the first point about arbitration. It is very easy to find the comparables. There is hardly any disagreement.

The second point is about how big spending teams supposedly drive up salaries in arbitration. Only two of the 18 players (Aebischer and Dunham) came from teams that could be described as big spending teams. Otherwise the comparable salaries were were set by Vancouver, Ottawa, Nashville, Montreal, Washington, Atlanta, Anaheim, Chicago, San Jose, Boston and Buffalo.

Until a player becomes a free agent his salary is largely determined by teams with smaller payrolls! The reason for this is obvious when you think about it. The big payroll teams have former UFAs in key positions drawing very big salaries. They don't have very many arbitration eligible players and so they don't have very many comparables for arbitration eligible players either.

Tom

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
DementedReality said:

dr

That wouldn't be fair to the players.

A large portion of the reasoning behind arbitration is that it's not fair to a player for him to be obligated by the CBA to play in a certain city, AND he should be expected to earn less simply because that team isn't willing to pay as much for it's players as another team.

Arbitration protects players from that by allowing league wide comparables. If there were no arbitration there would be nothing stopping (as an example) MIN from simply saying "we won't pay player A any more than X dollars, and if he doesn't like it, he can sit until age 31." While a lesser player might end up being paid more than that in a different city, say TOR for example.

That is not a fair set-up for the players if they have no choice (because of the draft or because their RFA rights are owned by some specific team) about where they can play.

*edit* I still agree with all that I said, but I'm just giving a potential reason why the NHLPA wouldn't negotiate such a system. As far as I know, if such a system were negotiated as part of a CBA (or arbitration dropped completely in a new CBA) it would definitely be allowed to happen. I just don't think the NHLPA would ever let it.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right now, to an extent they're doing simular to that in that player agents generally choose the obsene contracts while owners go with the "smaller market" contracts. I think if they do implement the either/or type system being tossed around (I don't follow anything but CFL & NHL but apparently baseball uses it??) I think you'll see agents more often then not throw out the high contracts and go in using the somewhat realistic contracts ... ie -. if the Flames go in offering Iggy Joe Thornton type money, Iginla's camp might be more inclined to chase somewhere between Bertuzzi/Sundin/Roenick type money instead of aiming for Tkachuk/Guerin/Holik type dollars knowing the arbitrators going to choose one or the other and not somewhere in between.......

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Benji Frank said:
Right now, to an extent they're doing simular to that in that player agents generally choose the obsene contracts while owners go with the "smaller market" contracts. I think if they do implement the either/or type system being tossed around (I don't follow anything but CFL & NHL but apparently baseball uses it??) I think you'll see agents more often then not throw out the high contracts and go in using the somewhat realistic contracts ... ie -. if the Flames go in offering Iggy Joe Thornton type money, Iginla's camp might be more inclined to chase somewhere between Bertuzzi/Sundin/Roenick type money instead of aiming for Tkachuk/Guerin/Holik type dollars knowing the arbitrators going to choose one or the other and not somewhere in between.......

totally off topic, but the CFL rocks!

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
DementedReality said:

dr

How about fix the system and institute a level playing field, and then arbitration will no longer be as unfair because players will actually be getting paid according to their value and not what rich teams feel like throwing at them. Of course it has to allow the owners to take the players to arbitration without too many stipulations.

YellHockey*

kerrly said:
How about fix the system and institute a level playing field, and then arbitration will no longer be as unfair because players will actually be getting paid according to their value and not what rich teams feel like throwing at them. Of course it has to allow the owners to take the players to arbitration without too many stipulations.

You need to learn about the real world.

In the real world, market value is determined by the rich, not the poor.

If the owners want a level playing field they can divide all revenues evenly after accepting the players proposal.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
BlackRedGold said:
You need to learn about the real world.

In the real world, market value is determined by the rich, not the poor.

If the owners want a level playing field they can divide all revenues evenly after accepting the players proposal.

But in sports market value being determined by the rich sums up every single problem with the system we have in place.

If anyone needs to learn about the real world its you, and the NHLPA.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So in the new CBA proposal, can the owners take a guy like Jagr to arbitration because he is not performing up to the level of his ludicrous 11M salary??? Will they then use a comparable down, and say you only got 68 pts Jammy, and so did Mike Ryder and he only made 650K... so...........I can't see the players ever going for something like this, they only use the comparable when it jacks their salary up, not down. :dunno: :dunno:

A Good Flying Bird*

DementedReality said:

dr

Too limiting. May not be enough comparable players on that team.

How about this: Comparable players playing on teams that have violated the luxury tax threshold will not be used for arbitration purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->