OT: Aquilini Family Building a E- Sports Empire

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
The E Sports Brand keeps growing. In a very short time frame this business will dwarf the Vancouver Canucks is totally yearly revenue.

The own some or all of Vancouver Titans

They bought Luminosity Gaming under the Umbrella of JFF - Capitial Corp

and now bought Enthusast Gaming with accesss to 50 Million visits to there sites

• Combination to create leading publicly traded esports and gaming organization with $22 million in pro forma revenue and $36 million in cash on closing of the merger, with combined global audience reach of approximately 200 million
  • Merged assets and reach to include seven esports teams (including management of the Vancouver Titans Overwatch League franchise), 40 esports influencers, 80+ gaming media websites, 900+ YouTube and Twitch channels
  • Enthusiast Gaming’s extensive media network and gamer data, combined with Luminosity’s championship calibre teams and brand equity, expected to drive further audience growth
  • Strategically positioned to leverage Luminosity’s robust esports brand and its audience through Enthusiast Gaming’s monetization and ad tech platform
Enthusiast Gaming Announces Merger With Aquilini GameCo and Luminosity to Form Global Esports and Gaming Leader

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
its incredible how fast E-sports is growing and will likely be the leading company in Aquilini's sports portfolio.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Terrific! They might have a bright future as 'virtual reality' sports franchise owners. Then they can sell the NHL team that plays in 'real time' to somebody who actually knows what they're doing.

Reactions: EP40

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
It's pretty insane how fast e-sports is growing. The 100 thieves clan is worth $100 million

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I hope they divest and sell the Canucks to someone else so they can focus on e-sports.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Drafting a proposal to the Aquilin-E-Sports Empire pitching a professional team of HF Boards posters featuring all the stars.

Unbelievable posts per day

Dozens of likes on each post

Takes hotter than the sun

Revenue in the millions of vcash

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I don't watch this stuff, but I've read that there's a widespread belief that the "e-sports" (barf) industry is in the midst of a wild and completely unsustainable bubble. I have to say I find the viewership numbers to be ridiculous. They're clearly as fake as any other "engagement" metrics on the Internet. I'm sorry but 200 million people are not watching a bunch of people [mod] little beep boop games for 12 year olds.

Anyway, I only care about this to the extent that it's funny that this absolutely gormless dumbass Francesco is so deeply involved in the ridesharing scam AND the e-sports bubble. It's enough to make you think he might not be capable of steering the canucks franchise towards success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't watch this stuff, but I've read that there's a widespread belief that the "e-sports" (barf) industry is in the midst of a wild and completely unsustainable bubble. I have to say I find the viewership numbers to be ridiculous. They're clearly as fake as any other "engagement" metrics on the Internet. I'm sorry but 200 million people are not watching a bunch of people [mod] play little beep boop games for 12 year olds.

Anyway, I only care about this to the extent that it's funny that this absolutely gormless dumbass Francesco is so deeply involved in the ridesharing scam AND the e-sports bubble. It's enough to make you think he might not be capable of steering the canucks franchise towards success.

You heavily underestimate viewership. Far more people have been exposed to video games and legitimate sports nowadays and at the end of the day whether it's real sports or esports it's all about emotional involvement. Pro-gamers are directly involved in gaming communities far more than traditional athletes and as a result players who know them are invested in them and want to see them win, and I would argue that connection for many is more significant than watching a sports team that just happens to be from your city.

How many people do you think tune into Canucks games? Hundreds of thousands watch major tournaments and even the regular leagues get a lot of viewership. Viewers means advertisers will pay. They might advertise Colgate during hockey games but companies like Logitech for example need a place to advertise as well and esports is the perfect place for that.

Advertisers pay, teams get paid, and the cost of operating an esports franchise is significantly lower than operating a sports franchise. Roster payroll is lower and you don't need to have major real estate and a large arena. The profit margins are quite clearly significantly larger given the extremely low cost of operation and I don't believe you're taking that into account. Lots of these esports orgs have been around since long before the esports boom and were profitable even then.

What exactly makes watching someone kick a ball or play hockey any more legitimate than video games? Yeah it's more impressive in regards to athletics, but I don't watch hockey for the raw athletic ability, I watch it because I am emotionally invested. Do you genuinely believe it's significantly different to be emotionally invested in a physical game rather than a strategy game? Why?

The biggest issue with esports is that games come and go, so investing millions into a game that will eventually die is problematic. I'm actually shocked Overwatch is still a remotely major esport. Investing into a large organization that spans multiple different games though somewhat mitigates that and as I mentioned earlier the cost of operation is much much lower.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LovemyNucks

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't watch this stuff, but I've read that there's a widespread belief that the "e-sports" (barf) industry is in the midst of a wild and completely unsustainable bubble. I have to say I find the viewership numbers to be ridiculous. They're clearly as fake as any other "engagement" metrics on the Internet. I'm sorry but 200 million people are not watching a bunch of ugly, racist nerds play little beep boop games for 12 year olds.

I tend to agree that this e-sports franchise thing looks like a case of Tulip Mania.

No ticket sales, few viewers ... the whole thing seems to be propped up by franchise fees and sponsorships/advertising revenue by corporations looking to capitalize on the 'next big thing'.

I was initially pretty skeptical but tried giving it a chance and watching a game. And jesus, it's a terrible, unwatchable product with 3rd rate commentary and production values. And what exactly is the connection that the bunch of Korean teenagers playing video games in Los Angeles have to Vancouver? The whole city-franchise concept is bizarre.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I tend to agree that this e-sports franchise thing looks like a case of Tulip Mania.

No ticket sales, few viewers ... the whole thing seems to be propped up by franchise fees and sponsorships/advertising revenue by corporations looking to capitalize on the 'next big thing'.

I was initially pretty skeptical but tried giving it a chance and watching a game. And jesus, it's a terrible, unwatchable product with 3rd rate commentary and production values. And what exactly is the connection that the bunch of Korean teenagers playing video games in Los Angeles have to Vancouver? The whole city-franchise concept is bizarre.

OWL season 3 will have the teams in their respective cities so people will be able to see the Titans play regularly starting in January

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm skeptical of streaming numbers too, but the league of legends world championships (or whatever they call it) filled Oracle Arena to capacity when it was held in the bay area a few years back...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm skeptical of streaming numbers too, but the league of legends world championships (or whatever they call it) filled Oracle Arena to capacity when it was held in the bay area a few years back...

The DOTA2 championship was hosted at rogers arena last year and it filled that too

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Don't forget esports have been huge in Korea for a very long time even being broadcast on traditional television.

The stream numbers on Twitch/Youtube are generally legit, tournaments get from 50k-1m viewers depending on whats going on (and what game), many of these average like 200-350k. The streaming numbers in China though are insane, and while I'm sure viewership in China is huge, figures of like 10m viewers must surely be exaggerated.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Esports is in a bubble but still is going to have explosive growth.

There will be a correction coming soon, but that correction will over the course of a decade or two look like nothing on a chart of exponential growth.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Vancouver Titans are an extremely likeable team even through the language barrier. Far more likeable than 80% of the canucks. I can’t speak for other esports but Overwatch League has really hooked me and I am getting really attached to the team.

Reactions: Rowlet and TruKnyte

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The stream numbers on Twitch/Youtube are generally legit, tournaments get from 50k-1m viewers depending on whats going on (and what game), many of these average like 200-350k. The streaming numbers in China though are insane, and while I'm sure viewership in China is huge, figures of like 10m viewers must surely be exaggerated.

That's what I would think. I don't know what kind of numbers are being tracked where, but unlike traditional TV which relies on the slightly ambiguous Nielsen rating (not sure how 'smart' TV's and modern cable boxes effect things) Live streaming events should have great metrics and know exactly how many are watching and from where. I hate this invasive marketing stuff, but it has to be a goldmine for these people as you can tie in all sorts of online and smart phone tracking into it.

One thing that I'm kind of curious about if it isn't just a bubble and is as lucrative as they say and legit compared to other pro sports... so in todays pro-corporate climate will the 'nerds' ever start getting paid like other pro athletes? Think of all the big hands reaching into the cookie jar - big tech, game publishers, and now super rich owners like the Aquilini's diving in... the actual talent is going to have a huge uphill battle to be left with anything more than the crumbs, relatively speaking.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
when the time is right I will like to see him make a move for a NBA team wether its an expansion team or buying struggling franchise and moving it here.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
when the time is right I will like to see him make a move for a NBA team wether its an expansion team or buying struggling franchise and moving it here.
Can't see what could go wrong...
bryantreeves.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad