April Mock Draft

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m not much of a scout, most of my opinions are formed by stat watching and reading reports on the players. With that being said I’m gonna give it a shot.

:devils - Jack Hughes

New Jersey lucks our getting the top pick and they waist no time picking Hughes. Him and Nico should be a strong duo down the middle for the next 10-15 years.

Projection: PPG C

:rangers - Kappo Kakko

New York goes with the BPA in Kakko. Fits the mold of big skilled players they have been drafting and acquiring the last couple years.

Projection - PPG RW

:hawks - Bowen Byram

Yes the Hawks are loaded on the back end, but you can’t pass up a potential number one guy. With this pick the Hawks should be set on the back end for years to come.

Projection - High end 2D

:avs - Alex Turcotte

Turcotte is a very fast, smart two way centre. If they pick him it’ll feel a lot like having Ryan O’Rielly back.

Projection - 60 point two way C

:kings - Vasili Podkolzin

The Russian factor makes him drop a little, but LA doesn’t mind. They are looking pretty good up the middle so taking a high potential winger doesn’t bother them.

Projection - 65 point winger

:wings- Kirby Dach

They took Veleno has year, but can never be to strong down the middle. Dach is a strong playmaker, very large player, and when he’s on his game looks unstoppable.

Projection - 60 point C

:sabres - Dylan Cozens

There seems to be questions about if he’s going to be a winger or centre in the NHL. He’s large, very fast, and has a great shot. They will be happy with this pick.

Projection - 50 point winger

:edmonton - Peyton Krebs

His size and playing on a bad team makes him drop which works out great for Edmonton. I’m personally very high on Krebs besides being on the small side he plays the way every team wants.

Projection - 65 point two way C

:ducks - Cole Caufield

Anaheim has never been afraid to go off the board to get the player they like and it often turns out good for them. They need a difference maker at this point and Caufield has the best chance to be that player.

Projection - 35 goal winger

:nucks - Trevor Zegras

Last time Vancouver took a playmaking centre in the top ten it paid off well, this time I think it’ll also look like a good pick.

Projection - 50 point centre/winger

:flyers - Victor Soderstrom

Philly has a strong young core of defence, but never hurts to add especially when many of those defencemen are lefties. Soderstrom is a great pick, strong two way defenceman.

Projection - 2nd pairing defenceman

:wild - Arthur Kailyev

They take a big swing here as a team in need of major offence. Kailyev has crazy production, but there are questions about his skating and effort. I think in the 1st teams should always be picking for skill.

Projection - 50 point LW

:panthers - Matthew Boldy

I think Boldy will slip out of the top ten because teams might see him as a passenger on a very strong team. I agree that of the four forwards on his team picked before him he will likely be the weakest, but still a fine pick at 13.

Projection - 40 point LW

:coyotes - Alex Newhook

Arizona this season showed that they need scoring badly. They take a bit of a risker pick because Newhook played in a lesser league. Newhook has speed for days and high potential to pay off.

Projection - 40 point winger.

:habs - Ville Heinola

Left handed defenceman, check. Finnish, check. That’s all Montreal needs to see to make this pick. Heinola did very well in a men’s league and is the smart pick at this spot.

Reactions: CapSpace and OB5

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’m not much of a scout, most of my opinions are formed by stat watching and reading reports on the players. With that being said I’m gonna give it a shot.

:devils - Jack Hughes

New Jersey lucks our getting the top pick and they waist no time picking Hughes. Him and Nico should be a strong duo down the middle for the next 10-15 years.

Projection: PPG C

:rangers - Kappo Kakko

New York goes with the BPA in Kakko. Fits the mold of big skilled players they have been drafting and acquiring the last couple years.

Projection - PPG RW

:hawks - Bowen Byram

Yes the Hawks are loaded on the back end, but you can’t pass up a potential number one guy. With this pick the Hawks should be set on the back end for years to come.

Projection - High end 2D

:avs - Alex Turcotte

Turcotte is a very fast, smart two way centre. If they pick him it’ll feel a lot like having Ryan O’Rielly back.

Projection - 60 point two way C

:kings - Vasili Podkolzin

The Russian factor makes him drop a little, but LA doesn’t mind. They are looking pretty good up the middle so taking a high potential winger doesn’t bother them.

Projection - 65 point winger

:wings- Kirby Dach

They took Veleno has year, but can never be to strong down the middle. Dach is a strong playmaker, very large player, and when he’s on his game looks unstoppable.

Projection - 60 point C

There seems to be questions about if he’s going to be a winger or centre in the NHL. He’s large, very fast, and has a great shot. They will be happy with this pick.

His size and playing on a bad team makes him drop which works out great for Edmonton. I’m personally very high on Krebs besides being on the small side he plays the way every team wants.

:ducks - Cole Caufield

Anaheim has never been afraid to go off the board to get the player they like and it often turns out good for them. They need a difference maker at this point and Caufield has the best chance to be that player.

Projection - 35 goal winger

:nucks - Trevor Zegras

Last time Vancouver took a playmaking centre in the top ten it paid off well, this time I think it’ll also look like a good pick.

Projection - 50 point centre/winger

:flyers - Victor Soderstrom

Philly has a strong young core of defence, but never hurts to add especially when many of those defencemen are lefties. Soderstrom is a great pick, strong two way defenceman.

:wild - Arthur Kailyev

They take a big swing here as a team in need of major offence. Kailyev has crazy production, but there are questions about his skating and effort. I think in the 1st teams should always be picking for skill.

Projection - 50 point LW

:panthers - Matthew Boldy

I think Boldy will slip out of the top ten because teams might see him as a passenger on a very strong team. I agree that of the four forwards on his team picked before him he will likely be the weakest, but still a fine pick at 13.

Projection - 40 point LW

:coyotes - Alex Newhook

Arizona this season showed that they need scoring badly. They take a bit of a risker pick because Newhook played in a lesser league. Newhook has speed for days and high potential to pay off.

Projection - 40 point winger.

:habs - Ville Heinola

Left handed defenceman, check. Finnish, check. That’s all Montreal needs to see to make this pick. Heinola did very well in a men’s league and is the smart pick at this spot.

Great mock. Krebs is definitely who I'd take there for the Oilers. I'm really high on him as well.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Honestly as a Stars fan I love picking Finns. Last couple times the payoff had been huge,
Yeah not complaining at all. The Habs are loaded with Finns and they're all great. Kotkaniemi, Lehkoken, Armia, Ylonen, Ikonen...would love Heinola.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Great mock. Krebs is definitely who I'd take there for the Oilers. I'm really high on him as well.

He’s one of my favourite players in the draft. He’s rare as a pick outside of the top five because not only is his floor high, but his ceiling is extremely high as well. Could end up being a steal even in the top ten.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He’s one of my favourite players in the draft. He’s rare as a pick outside of the top five because not only is his floor high, but his ceiling is extremely high as well. Could end up being a steal even in the top ten.
I agree.
Yeah not complaining at all. The Habs are loaded with Finns and they're all great. Kotkaniemi, Lehkoken, Armia, Ylonen, Ikonen...would love Heinola.

Unfortunately, drafting Finns is not something that usually works out for the Oilers. :(

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think LA will be scared away from Podkolzin. Vilardi may not pan out. Can’t have two big risk factors out of the past three drafts.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Heinola has been one of the worst Finns in U18 WJC's
He's been very undisciplined player who takes idiotic penalties and can't play defence without penalties.

Also his scoring has been abysmal and only good skating isn't enough to be TOP15 pick.
If i was Canadiens GM i wouldn't use TOP15 lottery pick for Heinola.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think LA will be scared away from Podkolzin. Vilardi may not pan out. Can’t have two big risk factors out of the past three drafts.

I could see them going a safer route for sure. Cozens and Dach both seem like LA types.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Heinola has been one of the worst Finns in U18 WJC's
He's been very undisciplined player who takes idiotic penalties and can't play defence without penalties.

Also his scoring has been abysmal and only good skating isn't enough to be TOP15 pick.
If i was Canadiens GM i wouldn't use TOP15 lottery pick for Heinola.

Personally I don’t put much stock into a short tournament like this. He played exceptionally well in a men’s league all season and has a high ceiling. Each to their own though.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Personally I don’t put much stock into a short tournament like this. He played exceptionally well in a men’s league all season and has a high ceiling. Each to their own though.

I personally really like Heinola. And yeah, I don't put too much stock into short tournaments. (Evan Bouchard had 2 bad games in the world juniors, people write him off as a bust).

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I personally really like Heinola. And yeah, I don't put too much stock into short tournaments. (Evan Bouchard had 2 bad games in the world juniors, people write him off as a bust).

I think the good out weighs the bad with Heinola and at 15 there will be risk with every player available. Even Heiskanen looked terrible at the world juniors one year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think the good out weighs the bad with Heinola and at 15 there will be risk with every player available. Even Heiskanen looked terrible at the world juniors one year.

Don't ever mention Heiskanen and Heinola in same context.
Difference between those two is that Heiskanen use his stick a lot in defence
but he does that without idiotic penalties.

Meanwhile Heinola takes at least couple idiotic penalties in a game.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Don't ever mention Heiskanen and Heinola in same context.
The difference between Heiskanen and Heinola is that Heiskanen is 3 to 5 seasons away of being Norris level dman meanwhile Heinola is boom or bust type draft pick.

Other difference between those two is that Heiskanen use his stick a lot in defence.
But he does that without idiotic penalties.
Meanwhile Heinola takes at least couple idiotic penalties in one game.

Last edited:

Ronnbergundy

Jun 18, 2015
Frolunda

I don't disagree with the selection of Cozens over Krebs, but I don't really see how one is projected as a 50 point W and the other as a 65 point C. If those were the projections, why wouldn't the Sabres select the higher scoring two way player at a more valuable position?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don't disagree with the selection of Cozens over Krebs, but I don't really see how one is projected as a 50 point W and the other as a 65 point C. If those were the projections, why wouldn't the Sabres select the higher scoring two way player at a more valuable position?

That’s my personal projection. I like Krebs a lot more than Cozens, but the scouting consensus seems to have Cozens over Krebs. I think Buffalo takes the consensus ‘better player’, but Krebs ends up being better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad