OT - NO POLITICS April edition - RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have a strong preference for tri tip as I find brisket too fatty. Teh tri tip is lean but still juicy, flavorful, and holds a smoke beautifully.
Got to trim the brisket more aggressively next time and then let it render the fat fully before wrapping it for the stall. Once you do that, it's pretty amazing.

But I'm pretty sure the next thing we do will be a tri tip regardless.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Interesting read. I remember being confused when I had to move to upstate/western NY for work for a few years and couldn't really find them anywhere simple.
I told my brother Bob that I had picked up some steak tips @ Roache Bros. and to my surprise (at the time), he was like, "What are steak tips?"

I had no idea they were an exclusively NE thing.

I have a strong preference for tri tip as I find brisket too fatty. Teh tri tip is lean but still juicy, flavorful, and holds a smoke beautifully.
I haven't tried tri tip yet, but would like to.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I told my brother Bob that I had picked up some steak tips @ Roache Bros. and to my surprise (at the time), he was like, "What are steak tips?"

Similar to what happened to me when I had moved to NY I mentioned steak tips to my landlord and that I was surprised the ONE butcher in the village didn't have any. He looked at me all confused and puzzled and I had to describe them to him.. And I was even more confused at him being confused than anything. :laugh:

Reactions: GordonHowe and Kovi

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Similar to what happened to me when I had moved to NY I mentioned steak tips to my landlord and that I was surprised the ONE butcher in the village didn't have any. He looked at me all confused and puzzled and I had to describe them to him.. And I was even more confused at him being confused than anything. :laugh:
There is so much food knowledge that hasn't made it to the southwest. Hence, when we travel back East it pretty much becomes a food tour.
I will say, the small donut shops here do a really good job.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah I downloaded one of those apps on the play store a couple years ago for something else but then it was trying to make me pay for it so I said F you and deleted it and haven't tried another app since.

@Kovi helped me figure out it was a fiddle leaf fig.
Ah yes, the IT/old switcheroo FU.

I know it well. And indulge in the practice with relish.

Watching Celtics in an old school Boston bar in Lauderdale and I mean old school

View attachment 712752
Well, if you have to live in FLA...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I haven't tried tri tip yet, but would like to.
There's a lot of stuff I never realized were exclusively New England things until I left New England. Like hot dog rolls. Can't get a real top-loading hot dog roll anywhere on the west coast, it's tragic, they don't know what they're missing.

I never really ordered steak tips on their own, but a restaurant near where my parents live has a great steak tip sub.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There's a lot of stuff I never realized were exclusively New England things until I left New England. Like hot dog rolls. Can't get a real top-loading hot dog roll anywhere on the west coast, it's tragic, they don't know what they're missing.

I never really ordered steak tips on their own, but a restaurant near where my parents live has a great steak tip sub.
How do they toast the buns if they don't have NE style rolls?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How do they toast the buns if they don't have NE style rolls?
They don't. They're missing out, if people outside of New England just had one hot dog with a roll toasted in butter, they'd never go back.

Also, another New England thing I never thought of - Greek Pizza. Not my favorite type of pizza by any means but sometimes I miss that bready texture in a pie because I grew up eating at tons of random places all named [town] House of Pizza.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Still waiting for my first hummingbird to arrive. Just 40 mins south of here they have been back for two weeks! Maybe they have forgotten about me! On a positive note, we have two families of baby bunnies this year!

On another note, look at this picture from Game 7 of the Jr. B hockey Sutherland Cup final at Allman arena in Stratford ON. Stupid parents! The expressions on the faces of the people around them are priceless.

View attachment 706037
I thought

What is this?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Too funny. Me and the missus went to Paris last fall and toured the Louvre. I commented how hard life must have been in the 15th and 16th centuries, everyone looked miserable. I later got on my Twitter feed and thought, everyone will be saying the same about us in a few hundred years. :rolleyes:

Provided we last that long.

This reminds me of something I saw/learned a few years ago. We tend to think of Victorian Era/turn of the 19th century people as really serious because of their photographs. They always always always look so stern in them. But that's because they had to sit still for so long to take them. It was simply easier not to smile for a picture and instead go with an expression lacking ay emotion.

When you see old photos of them smiling, though, they feel and look no different from us. Completely changes the image of that time period and its people.

Reactions: EverettMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad