Appreciation for Chris Neil

Oct 10, 2010
He's by far my favorite player, losing Neil would be a huge lose to the community, and would make sens games a little less entertaining for me, tbh.
With the heart he shows game in game out, there's no reason why we can't keep in around for the rest of his career. He's not going to be expensive nor is he going to bring us something we don't already have in terms of prospects.

Last edited:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I know it's a BIG shout...

But Neil has gone down, quite frankly as a Senators legend...

Sure, he hasn't lead the league in points... Or goals... Or assists...

And he doesn't make the highlight reel day in day out...

BUT,

He has been one of the most effective Senators. One of (If not) the best fighters we've ever had...

He's been a God to the community...

Surely, someone higher up... Would at least CONSIDER to retire his number?

Colinitus

PSN Survivor
Sep 13, 2011
Canada East
Both myself and my gal love this guy. She wants his jersey for christmas!!

Actually she wants him to punch her?!?!? so dose that mean I have to try to hit him back because he hit my woman... man i hope not!!!

I would never want to watch him play for another team. I'm proud he is a Senator. :thumbu:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It pains me to think that, like Alfie, this guy is coming to the end of his career with this team.

For over a decade, he has patrolled the ice, standing up for teammates, fighting to try and spark the Sens when they need a boost, and making the opposing teams players very nervous.

Fans from other teams try to trash Neil for being this and that, but Sens fans know the truth about this guy. He's fought just about every heavyweight in the NHL even though he's not the biggest guy out there.

You can tell he cares about the team and the fans, and as a fan, isn't that one of the most important qualities in a player. A guy who might not show up in the scoring column most nights, but finishes every check like it's the last hit he'll ever have, who protects every player on his team like they were his own flesh and blood.

Chris Neil will always have a special place in the hearts of many Sens fans. When he moves on, it might be a long time before we find another player that can, and is willing to do all the things that Chris does.

Depends for which kind of fans... I have seen many Sens fans everywhere criticizing Chris Neil, calling him an useless plug, an overpaid grinder, etc. After all, they're right 2.0 M$ is a lot of money for a guy who scores 10 goals with 3rd line minutes. Who cares about the hits, the fights and the blood he gave for this team?

I know for fact that Habs fans totally hate the guy and would almost KILL to have him on their team.

IMO, he's not far away from being considered among the lazy useless plugs, overpaid aging veterans of the team, if that's not already the case. I didn't see "lazy" too much yet but wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Personnally, I always loved Chris Neil and will always have lot of respect for the guy. I hope I would have the opportunity to shake his hand someday and say "Thank you Chris, for everything you've done for this team".

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Bump.

Neil has taken a lot of flak this season. Because he doesn't often light lamp, he faces a different scrutiny. When Neil was back on the bench stitched up after that puck to the face, I just knew we would win.

Chris Neil is by far, one of the toughest players in the ENTIRE ... NHL. Tonight was simply another example of what he brings. We are lucky to have him and he will be huge come playoff time.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Funny how often he has been used to shut down the other teams good players and never gets credit for how well he does

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we've had a lot of star players come through ottawa, but chris neil, mike fisher, and chris phillips were always the soul of this team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My post in this thread is probably the one I'd make every year, so I don't really need to add

However, I'm going to go on a limb and say that Chris Neil is probably the thoughest SOB I have ever seen. Puck to the face and comes back a few minutes laters without a damn freaking visor... He makes those Rambo movies somewhat realistic.

Brassknuckles

Aug 14, 2007
I don't know if you could tell on TV, but when they put a shot of Neil on the big screen in the rink after he got his face put back together, the crowd gave him a huge ovation. It was the kind of raw emotion that gives you goosebumps.

As a player, when you look down the bench and see that guy coming back after that, I think it gives the whole team a boost and holds them to a higher standard of toughness.

But because those things don't show up on the scoresheet, I'm sure there will be some fans in here that will still argue that Neil should be moved out of the organization. So sad.:thumbd:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Love Neil. Warrior and truly puts the team before anything. Hope he retires in a Sens jersey. Say what you want about Alfie, but Neil is the true heart and soul of this team.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I like him as long as he's not on the top line.

But yeah, an amazing career in the making.
I don't think there's a better technical hitter in the league, he hits the way you are supposed to, punishing players and creating separation from the play but rarely dangerous or trying to give them concussions.

Berserker*

My post in this thread is probably the one I'd make every year, so I don't really need to add

However, I'm going to go on a limb and say that Chris Neil is probably the thoughest SOB I have ever seen. Puck to the face and comes back a few minutes laters without a damn freaking visor... He makes those Rambo movies somewhat realistic.

This. Neil is such a warrior. It always impresses me how quick he comes back after getting banged up on a play. Neil is like the Terminator, nothing stops him.

Berserker*

If he finishes his career as a Senator, or plays 1000 games here, his number should be retired

I believe that Neil has approximately 205 games left to reach 1000, so he should be able to reach that in the final year of his current contract.

I could also see the Sens retiring his jersey when he finishes his career.

Aside from that, even when he is done playing, I see him sticking with the Sens in an assistant coach capacity like Jason Smith or Luke Richardson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chris Neil is the best enforcer who can play every shift this team has ever had & pound for pound one of the toughest players in the NHL. He has had a great career for Ottawa & IMO his number should be retired. He has done as much or more than any other player for this team & for this community. Great Player. :handclap:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Neil is trying to be more than he is. He'll figure out his role soon enough again. Or else Karlsson will teach him another lesson :sarcasm:

I agree with Main though. Neil should have done something to Cooke. We looked like the biggest ****s letting the best player in the league go out like that and doing nothing about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad