Confirmed with Link: Appleton back to Jets (4th RD 2023)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This will be an entirely different team on Tuesday in Arizona. Good thing they have 3 days off after that to figure out what the f*** they did! Hahaha.

Not stoked about the return here.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This will be an entirely different team on Tuesday in Arizona. Good thing they have 3 days off after that to figure out what the f*** they did! Hahaha.

Not stoked about the return here.
Yeah. Kind of surprised Appleton could not get more back. With the crazy prices thought he may get a 3rd or 2nd. But it's fine.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
no no Ron, the plan on the board in the TDL war-room says trade the UFAs, not the RFAs.....

Appleton was nothing special, but he's a warm body that competes, and he started to finally find some on-ice chemistry with some of the guys.

While I don't think he will really be missed too much, I think a 4th is a bit low in value to be honest. I think he could have gotten more in the offseason.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really think him being arbitration eligible was a big factor. With his year last year being pretty good and this one decent he is probably looking for a nice raise. Seattle has the money to pay him that but does it make sense to for a guy who probably is on the 4th line? If he had established himself a bit more they probably keep him but he just didn't find a proper spot. They pulled Donato out of the bargain bin and he's producing a bit more so they can get cheaper replacements. It was worth the gamble by Francis to see if he could find a young player ready to break out offensively, unfortunately it didn't happen with Appleton.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Really think him being arbitration eligible was a big factor. With his year last year being pretty good and this one decent he is probably looking for a nice raise. Seattle has the money to pay him that but does it make sense to for a guy who probably is on the 4th line? If he had established himself a bit more they probably keep him but he just didn't find a proper spot. They pulled Donato out of the bargain bin and he's producing a bit more so they can get cheaper replacements. It was worth the gamble by Francis to see if he could find a young player ready to break out offensively, unfortunately it didn't happen with Appleton.
I wouldn't think arbitration eligibility for a player like Appleton would be too much of a factor. It isn't like he lit up the league and an arbitrator is going to give him the moon.

And with the return being only a 4th, how much less value could he possibly have as a rental at the TDL next year if he did score a one year contract?

Appleton's inability to read the play, both offensively and defensively and gel with his linemates has been a bit of an issue for me all season, so I am not really upset to see him moved, but I feel like there may have been a bit more value in the offseason had they hung on to him till the draft.

Also wondering if already moving 5 guys out might influence Francis' decision on still moving both Sheahan and Johansson.

Seven guys out (five so far) and no bodies back in is a bit surprising.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Giving people away for middling next to nothing so, only 2 possibles I see. One, ownership is CHEAP and saving money (we're almost at the cap floor) or there's a plan to take on some bigger contracts at the deadline allowing some other playoff teams to make moves.

I'm kind of like expecting some big moves. there has to be right? There just has to be.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Giving people away for middling next to nothing so, only 2 possibles I see. One, ownership is CHEAP and saving money (we're almost at the cap floor) or there's a plan to take on some bigger contracts at the deadline allowing some other playoff teams to make moves.

I'm kind of like expecting some big moves. there has to be right? There just has to be.
Oh god. I just had a terrible thought that we were taking on both Kane and Toews. But no way that happens.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't think arbitration eligibility for a player like Appleton would be too much of a factor. It isn't like he lit up the league and an arbitrator is going to give him the moon.

And with the return being only a 4th, how much less value could he possibly have as a rental at the TDL next year if he did score a one year contract?

Appleton's inability to read the play, both offensively and defensively and gel with his linemates has been a bit of an issue for me all season, so I am not really upset to see him moved, but I feel like there may have been a bit more value in the offseason had they hung on to him till the draft.

Also wondering if already moving 5 guys out might influence Francis' decision on still moving both Sheahan and Johansson.

Seven guys out (five so far) and no bodies back in is a bit surprising.

Weren't you saying Blackwell could have gotten like 4M a year if he wasn't screwed over by Hakstol not playing in a top 6 role? Appleton put up similar production last year and they were similar again this year. Appleton is younger with more upside, so if Blackwell can get a nice raise why not Appleton? Yes you need an arbitor to decide that and there's always a chance they do. So why risk it for a guy who hasn't really taken the next step and could be replaced easily? Donato was signed for league minimum and can do the job Appleton did, sure Francis thinks he can do a deal like that again.

I don't think Francis would hold onto UFA's like Johansson and Sheahan but move a RFA instead. The offers for those players must not be there for him to consider it. Johansson should get a similar return but maybe teams are only offering a 5th and he's going to wait it out?

I can him picking up a few bodies with a pick attached or for future considerations to fill out the roster. Florida needs to find room for Chariot and Lomberg. LA has a bunch of guys injured who I'm not sure how long will be out so might need to move someone soon. Hopefully Francis isn't done, kept wheeling and dealing.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

1) I don't think there's any indication at all of ownership being Cheap.
Francis said they've made a decision on who's part of the core and so far they've traded guys basically everyone though wouldn't be part longterm.

2) I don't think we're going to take on huge contracts but if someone needs to make numbers work we could help out(with that one spot left for retention) and add more picks or maybe a prospect.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Weren't you saying Blackwell could have gotten like 4M a year if he wasn't screwed over by Hakstol not playing in a top 6 role? Appleton put up similar production last year and they were similar again this year. Appleton is younger with more upside, so if Blackwell can get a nice raise why not Appleton? Yes you need an arbitor to decide that and there's always a chance they do. So why risk it for a guy who hasn't really taken the next step and could be replaced easily? Donato was signed for league minimum and can do the job Appleton did, sure Francis thinks he can do a deal like that again.
Nah, I was saying based off speculation that being picked in expansion cost Blackwell the most. My Argument was hypothetical, but based on the pretense that he would play all season with Panarin on the Rangers and cash in, My predictions for his pay day had nothing to do with his current stats or role on Seattle, and I was not speculating on his actual value, just what some GM would pony up if he put up those numbers.

I have a feeling it was poorly worded, because Rainycity had the same reaction.

I did, however, argue that McCann would get more than 5mil in arbitration if he scored over 30 goals, and I also said that his fair value contract would be no less than 6 if he scored at his current pace then (33-34). I still feel like he took a huge discount given his stellar metrics and PP60, but I did eat crow on that in the McCann thread. TBH, I was thrilled he signed for what he did. Great contract by Francis.

I don't think Francis would hold onto UFA's like Johansson and Sheahan but move a RFA instead. The offers for those players must not be there for him to consider it. Johansson should get a similar return but maybe teams are only offering a 5th and he's going to wait it out?

I can him picking up a few bodies with a pick attached or for future considerations to fill out the roster. Florida needs to find room for Chariot and Lomberg. LA has a bunch of guys injured who I'm not sure how long will be out so might need to move someone soon. Hopefully Francis isn't done, kept wheeling and dealing.
I hope you are right.

Given that the playoffs are not a consideration, he can always trade for players after the dealine, so that is still an option, but typically he would be limited to dealing with non-playoff teams if he wants to acquire useful bodies and not just fodder to finish out the season.

As much lip service as he has given about being better sooner rather than later, this TDL screams of scorched earth tear-down and rebuild for the offseason.

Starting with 8 or 9 new guys in camp next year is going to be another long adjustment and evaluation period.

I think we are looking at another season next year with a slow start and another likely big purge of UFAs next TDL to once again maximize picks. Which is just fine in my book, as it is the only way to really build a competitive farm, but I am affraid some people here are going to grow extremely impatient and the Fire Francis trolls will be out in force next Winter.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

Cheap cuz they didn’t keep Mason Appleton?? Lol. It’s not like they traded McCann here.

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
BAD trade here.....You have a proven middle 6 forward here. And you get a 4th rd pick a year out? How many 4th rounders actually play 1 game in the NHL? I have no clue, but I am sure not many... Why not resign this guy to a 3-4 year contract? you got him from Winnipeg, who at the time had some good D options as well in the expansion draft... Unless he said he didn't want to play in Seattle then this trade doesnt make sense....

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
BAD trade here.....You have a proven middle 6 forward here. And you get a 4th rd pick a year out? How many 4th rounders actually play 1 game in the NHL? I have no clue, but I am sure not many... Why not resign this guy to a 3-4 year contract? you got him from Winnipeg, who at the time had some good D options as well in the expansion draft... Unless he said he didn't want to play in Seattle then this trade doesnt make sense....
The answer is 44%

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Low return. Another case of Francis doing a player a favour?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Proven? Middle 6? If he's proven its in the bottom 6 definitely not the middle. He had chances higher up the lineup but didn't show enough to claim a spot and was playing on the 4th line alot. He's arbitration eligible and will want to be paid on his one big season and Francis thought he wasn't worth that. Even with all the trades he wasn't going to be more than a 3rd liner the rest of the year. They have Beniers coming and maybe Wright, they will also add in free agency so if he's getting 2M to play the 4th line that's too much. You can get a Donato, 750k, or Johansson, 1.5M, to do a similar or better job. Think the could have gotten another pick like a 5th since he is a RFA not UFA but Appleton just didn't progress here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad