Apple Music vs Spotify

Better Music App?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I had Apple Music for a couple months a while ago, what I didnt like is it altered some of my playlists and took out songs I "don't listen to often" , I did not appreciate them interfering.

Spotify was pretty good when I had that, but I already had some 2,000 songs on iTunes so it didnt really make sense to have Spotify longer than the 3 free months I had it for. I like my playlists and all the songs I had already.

Anyhow, I just went back to the old fashioned way of getting music free :laugh:

Reactions: Supermassive

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I currently have both :

- Spotify Premium - my main one

- Apple Music - 2 month trial (via Shazam lol)

I prefer Spotify overall but it just refuses to cooperate with the Apple Watch for offline listening as I like having the option to download playlists on the AW and leave my phone at home when I go workout.
Spotify added that functionality a few months ago but it doesn't work at all, smh.
I tried it with Apple Music and it works perfectly.

Apple Music's algorithm has improved a lot - I had it a few years ago before going back to Spotify and the algorithm was awful back then.

Apple Music also looks more aesthetically pleasing than Spotify, but I prefer Spotify's UI as it's much more intuitive IMO.
Search is also better on Spotify and the app is a bit faster than Apple's.
Spoitfy Connect and handoff are also great features.

I hate the fact that Spotify is recommending podcasts and audiobooks in the main feed even though I've never used the app for that.
I prefer to use a separateapp for podcasts , but I understand other people prefer to have a more convenient all in one solutions (or listen to exclusive podcasts).

Although the AW offline listening is great, I don't think it justifies paying for 2 music services (I know , it's not very expensive but still) so I think I will keep Spotify when my trial expires and just take my phone to the gym :rolly:

On a side note I also have YT Music, but that's because it comes with YT Premium, I watch a lot of YT and hate ads
YT music is not bad at all tbh, impressive algorithm and DJ mixes you can't find elsewhere (probably thanks to YoutTube videos)

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I use spotify, but I wish their "go to song radio" function and their "just for you" playlists didn't just spit back the same songs I already listen to.

Reactions: Power Man

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I had Spotify for years but got subscribed on Apple Music for 6 months free.
I've been on the Apple Music since.

I hate that Spotify 'year in review' bullshit, f*** out of here

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I like that I can shout out to Siri to play whatever song I need to hear and most of the time it happens, and when it doesn’t it’s because of Siri, not Apple Music.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I had Apple Music for a couple months a while ago, what I didnt like is it altered some of my playlists and took out songs I "don't listen to often" , I did not appreciate them interfering.

Spotify was pretty good when I had that, but I already had some 2,000 songs on iTunes so it didnt really make sense to have Spotify longer than the 3 free months I had it for. I like my playlists and all the songs I had already.

Anyhow, I just went back to the old fashioned way of getting music free :laugh:
Same here, Apple Music destroyed my carefully curated iTunes library. Never again.

I still use iTunes Match, even though it takes 15 minutes to access my library on my desktop PC if I want to add music. The integration with Siri and Apple Watch makes the app more valuable than it would be as a standalone.

I remember rumours of gaining animated album art, liner notes, and other extras, but instead we got U2's worst album for free, lol. It's still the same barebones app it has always been.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
99% of my music listening is done on Spotify (or Youtube if the track is not on Spotify). I occasionally buy vinyl but only for collecting and sampling purposes. I can't remember the last time I sat down and listened to an LP without the intention of flipping a sample

Reactions: John Price

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Not sure if joking but so do I. Much prefer having a physical CD or LP over some streaming service.

So do I, I also still use an MP3 player when cutting the grass or taking a trip by plane

My wife loves to call me gramps and say I should do the spotify thing or Apple music, but why pay for a service when I can just listen to all the stuff I already own?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I know it's not the question you asked, but I have the Amazon family plan (wife, 2 kids). We also have echo dots in several rooms. Love it.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Spotify.

I do like that Apple Music has more spatial audio options, but I listen to everything in spatial audio now in Spotify and even if it wasn't mixed for it, it's great. Stereo sounds so quaint now compared to spatial.

Sep 19, 2008
streaming services have literally changed the way audio is heard. I found my old mp3 songs on my PC which I had forgotten about for years because I just used spotify as my main music player. After adding many of those songs to spotify it's become so convenient. It doesn't take up any disk space, only data

I will say the spotify random is kind of bad, it seems like it selects the same song over and over instead of it purely being random.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->