Appetite for 2019 RFA Offer Sheet

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I just don't see it. They are high risk intermediate reward. It also opens a team up to turn about being fair play.

Intermediate reward? If you land Mitch Marner and he plays like Mitch Marner has been playing, that's high reward. Don't use semantics and wording to try to downplay the idea.

Hell, there is even a pretty decent likelihood that Mitch Marner at his current level ends up being worth as much or more than the 4 1sts. Like my previous example of trading the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Detroit actually took in the prior three years over a guy they'd sign at that level (say Werenski). I'd trade Rasmussen, Lindstrom, and Gallant for Werenski in a second.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Intermediate reward? If you land Mitch Marner and he plays like Mitch Marner has been playing, that's high reward. Don't use semantics and wording to try to downplay the idea.

Hell, there is even a pretty decent likelihood that Mitch Marner at his current level ends up being worth as much or more than the 4 1sts. Like my previous example of trading the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Detroit actually took in the prior three years over a guy they'd sign at that level (say Werenski). I'd trade Rasmussen, Lindstrom, and Gallant for Werenski in a second.

And the "bad contract"? That's what you would have with ANY elite player.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I agree. Marner would instantly be our 1C and the best offensive player on the team.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How would a RW be our #1 C?
tenor.gif

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He can? Has he ever done it in the NHL?

Just win the lottery and it wouldn't matter.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Marner-Hughes-Mantha
Athanasiou-Veleno-Rasmussen

Profit.

But you are right, Marner isn't a center, and he isn't suited to attempt to be, imo. But he's a damn good winger that can drive a line.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I feel like you're reading way too much into this stuff,to the point of creating an entire fictional world of consequences in your head

name one example of a retaliatory offer sheet,as far as I know that is literally something that has never happened

same thing with the whole calls going unanswered thing,that sounds like nothing more than speculation

Paul Holmgren made a lot of trades for example,in the 2012 offseason he did that Weber offersheet

he ended up spending 2 more seasons as a GM and made 12 more trades with a wide variety of different teams,I see no evidence of "a lot of his calls going unanswered" here

maybe GMs refrain from doing it as often as they could out of respect but I see no evidence of any sort of dire consequences for using offer sheets by any stretch of the imagination

backes and bernier offer sheets with VAN and STL probably counts as retaliation. though a relatively small one.

the biggest reason there aren't more of them imo, is that all GMs want too keep prices for RFAs low. nobody wants ro reset the market since they've their own RFAs to sign. and usually the only way offer sheet wouldn't get matched is to grossly overpay.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

You don't just trade picks for the player. You're also likely going to have to pay way over value for the player. Any hypothetical team isn't going to part with their star player for something near to a fair contract. The team tendering the offer sheet would have to pay extravagantly for the team with the player's rights not to match. So, not only would a Marner need to be better than any 4 hypothetical 1st round picks, he would also have to play up to an extremely inflated contract. Can a player short of a generational player be both better than 4 bites at the apple in the draft and be worth millions more than what they would normally get?

To put real numbers to it there is talk about Marner wanting Draisaitl money. So about 8.5 million a year. If Detroit offers him that the leafs almost without a single doubt match it. If Detroit offers 10? Toronto still might match. To realistically wrestle Marner out of Toronto's hands Detroit would need to offer Matthews money to Marner. The question is, is Marner worth north of 11.5 million a year AND 4 first round draft picks? The answer in my mind is no, he could never live up to that contract, and then add to that potential missed players, you're talking a monetary and opportunity cost beyond what Marner is actually worth.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Fedorov can play defense Marner can play Center....
Mitch Mariner is a very good hockey player, with impeccable timing for having a great season.

But Sergei Fedorov is one of maybe a dozen guys in the history of the sport to have the ability to play both forward and defense at the level he did.

In other words, saying that Marner ain't got nothing on Fedorov isn't a knock on the former. It's appreciating the latter.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Mitch Mariner is a very good hockey player, with impeccable timing for having a great season.

But Sergei Fedorov is one of maybe a dozen guys in the history of the sport to have the ability to play both forward and defense at the level he did.

In other words, saying that Marner ain't got nothing on Fedorov isn't a knock on the former. It's appreciating the latter.
Marner has more assist than anyone on the wings he can move to the middle of the ice. AA can switch to C and he is the worst hockey player in the history of the NHL....

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Marner has more assist than anyone on the wings he can move to the middle of the ice. AA can switch to C and he is the worst hockey player in the history of the NHL....

Just because he is more of a puck distributor doesn’t mean he can play the pivot role. A lot of defensemen have more assists than anyone on the Wings so they can move to the middle of the ice. See how ridiculous that argument is?

And AA can clearly NOT switch to C.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So why went Larks got hurt he wasn't 1C???

Because of extreme lack of center depth. And breaking up the Nielsen/Vanek line when it was just starting to click wasn't going to happen? And now that Larkins back AA is behind Ehn, JDL, Glendening, Nielsen, and Larkin on the depth chart for center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad