Apex Legends F2P BR on all platforms

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You get a good team and win the area. It's all yours. As opposed to the games where you loot for 15 minutes and die in your first fight. I'd rather have the hot drop. You will never win going alone.
Yup. Best get it over with than loot empty places hoping you find scraps of level 3 gear.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yup. Best get it over with than loot empty places hoping you find scraps of level 3 gear.

You know. I could be thinking about it in more of strategic way. Jumping into the fire right off the bat is fun but after doing it a handful of times and dying it got boring quick for me. Also reminded me of watching my kid play fortnite were he just does this strategy for hours every day and pulls out a win every couple of weeks lol.

I have been part of a team that won one a game and it was by doing exactly what you said above. we landed away from everyone looted empty places found good gear and then picked apart single players and duos coming out of the hot zone towards the safe zone.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You know. I could be thinking about it in more of strategic way. Jumping into the fire right off the bat is fun but after doing it a handful of times and dying it got boring quick for me. Also reminded me of watching my kid play fortnite were he just does this strategy for hours every day and pulls out a win every couple of weeks lol.

I have been part of a team that won one a game and it was by doing exactly what you said above. we landed away from everyone looted empty places found good gear and then picked apart single players and duos coming out of the hot zone towards the safe zone.
Different strokes for different folks. I have won lots of games and do much better getting into fights early and taking over a high-tier loot area than over-thinking strategy or leaving my team behind because I don't want to drop where they do.

Maybe you need better teammates? Most people who win get in fights early letting others collect most of the loot they end up using to win the game.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

Just loot the good areas across the map maybe 2 teams at most wait that long to jump. You can jump and glide half way across the map if you don’t go below 125 and nose dive to 145 once u hit 125, rinse and repeat. By the time you get the circle half the squads are gone and you got 8 minutes down. Easy to rank up and you have atleast 1 fully decked out gun. You do lose out on good camping spots though towards the end game.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Different strokes for different folks. I have won lots of games and do much better getting into fights early and taking over a high-tier loot area than over-thinking strategy or leaving my team behind because I don't want to drop where they do.

Maybe you need better teammates? Most people who win get in fights early letting others collect most of the loot they end up using to win the game.

like I said before I have only played about 15 or a bit more matches. I just found for me personally that if the squad jumps into an area with a high concentration of adversaries it has been a losing aspect from my perspective and I am able to achieve more on my own solo or when my squad lands in a less dense area.

Yes I just play with random players ATM as most of my online friends play BF.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

I'm kind of curious how you could even possibly come up with such a conclusion. :laugh: It's not like the game shows you where winners started so unless you always hot drop and either win yourself or immediately spectate whoever kills you for the rest of the round, you base this on absolutely nothing. Either that or you watch twitch streamers who are most likely already very good players and it's just another skewed statistic.

I never liked hot dropping. It gets old insanely fast and I feel like the whole "it's good practice" argument is incredibly flawed since you lose out on the whole strategy and positioning practice that is a lot more important unless you're a potato. I still go for high tier loot areas but it's on the far end of the map from where the spawn ship drops. More often than not, we still get in a fight there since it is a high tier loot drop and someone else usually lands there. You can still very easily find action even by dropping late anyway. Usually I'll land artillery if it's late in the supply ship path and someone else often lands there. After that, I'll go down to Cascades where I'm also fighting another team or two. Then usually towards east side of bunker where you end up fighting another team. At least doing it that way, you're still getting a good amount of action but it's on your terms and you rarely get pissed because you died before you can even find something better than a Mozambique or P2020.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You have to land in good spots for good loot and typically those are going to be hot. At least one or two teams. It's how you get better too. You don't have to show how many games you played so who cares. If you can't win your gun battles early, how will you end game? If it's a small circle and 3 teams are left and we wipe the 3rd team and we aren't getting pushed. We know the last team is bad and probably hiding. Happens all the time. I don't get it either. This isn't PUBG or even Fortnite you could play the circle. There's none of that in this game. That team is going to come right at you and wreck you.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm kind of curious how you could even possibly come up with such a conclusion.
Its simple really. Watch video's and see what other people do who win a lot. Of course it's no guarantee but if you think about it... getting high-tier loot as early as possible gives you a much better chance than running around areas without high-tier that aren't populated. Not saying you can never win or anything playing like that but look, I have won A LOT of games and seen others win a lot. Just suggesting the strategy I see work a lot more / better for a W than not. If your goal is just to survive and hope for a win then sit back and hide and not get good loot. It's fairly obvious (to me) that being more aggressive in Apex Legends is much more beneficial.

Like I said before, different strokes for different folks.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
That's just confirmation bias. The people who are uploading these videos are expecting views and in order to get views, they need a lot of action, therefore the people uploading videos/streaming hot drop a lot. Again, the people who are also uploading videos are generally better players. You're basically just saying be good and you win more. I remember Nvidia posting an article recently saying people with RTX 2080Tis have a higher KDR and win rate and saying it's the frame rate. Yes, frame rate is a benefit, but the people who are buying RTX 2080Tis to play games are generally very good players. It's just confirmation bias on their side for marketing purposes... Not to mention the fact that why would anyone upload videos where they're losing or even where they win but only have a couple of kills?

I'm not even saying to hide, I never said that, of course you need good loot. But you can just as easily land in a high tier loot zone with little to no competition if you just wait for the tail end of the ship since generally speaking, at least 75% of the server jumps out in the first half of the flight path. You can just as easily loot up more in peace or just fight a squad or MAYBE two. Places like Repuslor, Artillery, and Air Base are go tos for me if they're towards the end of the flight path.

I'm not arguing the different strokes for different folks, all I'm saying is it's just incredibly flawed logic saying that hot dropping players are more likely to win.

And they seriously need to fix this sound bug. I have died so many times to people flanking me because foot steps just don't register. What blows my mind is people are complaining about the lack of progressions when patches have been breaking the game more and more. It's actually getting to the point where I'm not having fun because how many times I die due to the game not working the way it should whether it's footsteps not registering or bad netcode.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Every single one of my wins has been away from hot zones, therefore hot-dropping is pointless.

Honestly it depends on your team. If you hot-drop and come out on top you will obviously have a good chance to win. But with a solid team you can work your way through the map and still get really good loot and put yourself in position for a top-3 squad finish (which has happened plenty).

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Agreed that it completely depends on your team. Hit drops lend themselves toward team play with a squad that you're familiar with, while less dense areas can be more effective if you're playing with randoms, since you have less of a choice at times regarding where you drop. For example, I run with the same group of guys usually. We drop the area at and around relay every game, because we've got a good system in terms of looting. Depending on the ship route, sometimes it's a hot drop, sometimes it's a lower populated drop, but regardless, we've been able to find wins in both scenarios. Whenever it's a hot drop we have a strategy in place to loot up immediately and be back together in about 30 seconds, so it truly does depend on the team around you.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
When I say land hot, I mean good places to loot that everybody goes not the blue zone. Screw the blue zone. Yes, you can land high tier very far away and your chance of winning goes way up if you are good. But the games are really boring. I could win 95% of my games with a good squad if we did that. I just figured we are past that by now. I got like 300 wins. Most people are chasing banners and high kill games and action with winning.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They ruined this game by speeding up the drop ship. I don't know anybody who complained about it and they randomly change it. What a mess.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Why do you think it ruined the game?

Jumping use to require a little skill not much but a little. Keep it between 130-140 and you could stretch it 12-1500 on a jump. Seems like a majority of the game lands in the same 3 areas now. You kill one team and look up and there's 5 teams left. Borderline impossible to get 3-4k damage badge or 20 kills. Everybody is super aggressive. I mean it's the way to go but just annoying when everybody is doing it :D

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
So I guess it seems that the hype has already died out here? I noticed that a lot of the major streamers are already tired of this game and are moving on. Seems to be due to lack of new content and gameplay changes that were received poorly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
So I guess it seems that the hype has already died out here? I noticed that a lot of the major streamers are already tired of this game and are moving on. Seems to be due to lack of new content and gameplay changes that were received poorly.
Color me shocked. Not like I said this exact thing would happen and was laughed at in this very thread. Twitch viewership down 90% within a couple months of launch after they stopped handing out fat paychecks to streamers. @Natey @HerpaDerp had some hilariously bad takes in this thread in particular :laugh: The game isn't special and people realized the game isn't special after streamers stopped telling them the game was special. I'll admit it lasted a little longer than I expected, but it's still dying that inevitable quick death that all Respawn games die.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Color me shocked. Not like I said this exact thing would happen and was laughed at in this very thread. Twitch viewership down 90% within a couple months of launch after they stopped handing out fat paychecks to streamers. @Natey @HerpaDerp had some hilariously bad takes in this thread in particular :laugh: The game isn't special and people realized the game isn't special after streamers stopped telling them the game was special. I'll admit it lasted a little longer than I expected, but it's still dying that inevitable quick death that all Respawn games die.
Well you were right but not because of the gameplay like you said. It died because Respawn/EA have done exactly nothing in what.. 4 months? They've added one character who already had data in the game, a really shitty season pass, and like two guns.

If Fortnite followed suit it would die too.

Shroud said if they ever add content he'd go back in a second. But we're not in the time of PUBG where you're basically first stable BR to market.

I'll admit I was somewhat wrong but again I can't imagine how a developer gets so hot and does absolutely nothing for months.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Twitch viewership? You know thats now how games are judged right? The hilariously bad takes were the ones saying the game would be dead in a month. Apex still has a HUGE player-base. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by calling me out? The fact that you have absolutely no way to judge how popular a game is and are just taking a shot in the dark on an internet forum?

It's not even close to dying. You wan't a bad take, take look in the mirror kid.

I guess Spiderman PS4 is a huge flop because nobody plays it anymore and its mentions on twitter are down 99% from the week it launched.

:laugh:

Reactions: Roman Fell

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Guys! I just got word that God Of War! Yes, the game that won game of the year by many outlets has 96% less twitch viewership from it's first month of launch! Game is now considered trash and a failure by all those on the interwebs. I mean look here at HF, nobody even talks about the game anymore. SAD! :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
On a serious note though, played a bunch of games with rando's yesterday and each one of them we hot-dropped. Only had ONE game (out of maybe 12) where a teammate quit as soon as they died too. Lots of fun.

Won only once but I feel like even the rando's in the game understand how this game works too.

There is definitely some good to come of a game like this when the "noobs" don't play as much. By that I mean it seems more like people sticking it out with the game and know the strategies sticking around has kept this game running good with randoms.

Really good community with this game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think there's a big difference between a $60/$80 single player game and a free to play multiplayer game relying on what the industry has affectionately dubbed "recurrent user spending". Apex's "success" in the eyes of its creators will depend on retaining players.

A lot of people gave Twitch viewership credit for increasing the game's popularity, so I suppose they are extrapolating the return to Fortnite as a bad thing for Apex...

While yes, it's not even close to dead, I don't think EA will be happy with these numbers. The lackluster "battlepass" seems to be taking a bit of a toll.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think there's a big difference between a $60/$80 single player game and a free to play multiplayer game relying on what the industry has affectionately dubbed "recurrent user spending". Apex's "success" in the eyes of its creators will depend on retaining players.

A lot of people gave Twitch viewership credit for increasing the game's popularity, so I suppose they are extrapolating the return to Fortnite as a bad thing for Apex...

While yes, it's not even close to dead, I don't think EA will be happy with these numbers. The lackluster "battlepass" seems to be taking a bit of a toll.
No doubt. I was trying to be funny about it and just saying twitch viewers / streaming does not directly relate to how popular a game is.

Less people watching AL now doesn't mean it can't have and continue to have a great player base. Rocket League is essentially a free to play game (Its om Game Pass, steam sales for it are cheap, it hits the free PS store often... etc) and its not a HUGE game in the streaming community but that game has tons of support and an amazingly large player base. Hundreds of thousands of players online at any given time almost. But its not some game that everyone talks about all the time.

I really just don't see the people calling it dead having any credibility whatsoever. My takes on how unique the game is compared to other BR games still hold true. AL has introduced some new gameplay mechanics to the BR world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad