OT: Apartment hunting in Vancouver

Nov 1, 2011
I think his best bet is downtown.

$1,000 isn't a small budget especially if you're willing to have a roommate.

medgett

Oct 1, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
Don't look for anything in the Vancouver area. Greater/Metro Van is what you should be shooting for. Vancouver, even a 1-bed/bath you'll be paying out the arse for.

Not true. If you really want to be close to the city, look for older construction buildings. I'm in a highrise right across the street from science world and we pay $2400 for a 3 br. Built in '95, 1300 sq ft. Deals are available downtown, you just have to know what you're looking for. A great place to start is www.padmapper.com. You can also download the app.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Alright so the move date is October 1st!
Subletting a furnished one bedroom in yaletown for the first month and then apartment hunting when I'm out there.
Here we go.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
And dont worrie about driving in the city, the transportation system is really easy here,and the roads are about the same as they are in Calgary,cept we have more Signage around(i lived in Saskatoon and thought driving in Calgary would be easy,boy was i wrong)

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Enjoy the bed bugs.

I know this was mentioned here, but what are the worst infested areas in Vancouver when it comes to bed bugs these days? I know DT Van general had it pretty bad, and so did East Van. Where else? Because man oh man, that's not something you want to mess with for your peace of mind.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I know this was mentioned here, but what are the worst infested areas in Vancouver when it comes to bed bugs these days? I know DT Van general had it pretty bad, and so did East Van. Where else? Because man oh man, that's not something you want to mess with for your peace of mind.

I could be wrong but I thought it was more of a West End thing, not sure if the same problem exists in the more sterile highrise centreal of Yaletown.

VanTampaFan

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
Welcome to yaletown buddy.

good place to watch sports would be PHAT sports bar right on mainland. Bieksa is in there like every day too haha.

Try and find a room mate to split a 2 bdrm. would be like 700-1000 each and the place would be nice.

Try to avoid coal harbour its a ghost town after 4pm and you wont meet many ppl. West end, yaletown, or gastown if you wanna be downtown (which i recommend if you are working here).

Where are you working?

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Welcome to yaletown buddy.

good place to watch sports would be PHAT sports bar right on mainland. Bieksa is in there like every day too haha.

Try and find a room mate to split a 2 bdrm. would be like 700-1000 each and the place would be nice.

Try to avoid coal harbour its a ghost town after 4pm and you wont meet many ppl. West end, yaletown, or gastown if you wanna be downtown (which i recommend if you are working here).

Where are you working?

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I'm not super familiar with the city, so it's great to know these things. I'll be working either in the downtown core or just off of Berard Bridge, so anywhere in that area is where I'm gunning for long term housing.

Dude, that's awesome. Thank you!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

It's something you only need to worry a lot about if you're sleeping in really, really ****** places or on the streets imho. The SROs are packed full of the damn things, but any newer apartment building will be bedbug-free and be owned by people highly motivated to keep them that way.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I'm not super familiar with the city, so it's great to know these things. I'll be working either in the downtown core or just off of Berard Bridge, so anywhere in that area is where I'm gunning for long term housing.

Dude, that's awesome. Thank you!

You're welcome. Just an FYI you probably don't want the Ford building at 375 Main as it is a bit of a sketchy area. Drugs etc. C side is in a good area, Coal Harbour.

Last edited:

whuttheeperson

Apr 13, 2010
Mt Pleasant is a better neighbourhood. Better bars, better food, better coffee. And better bang for your buck when it comes to apartments.

Kits and Yaletown are for boring people. Probably the most underrated neighbourhood is Strathcona. Gets knocked on for its proximity to the DTES, but some really nice old refinished apartment buildings, and you can rent a floor of a heritage house for reasonable sums.

This. I live around 41st, so close to the skytrain, 10 minute walk or 2 min bus to bars on main. 10-15 minute bus to DT. QE park with pitch n putt, tennis courts, hockey courts (new nets :) ) The absolute center of the city. Richmond 10 minutes, burnaby 15 minutes, UBC 20 minutes, kits 20 minutes etc. Safe neighbourhood. Hot girls. etc.

Cheap rent, decent places, parks everywhere, view of the mountains. Best value in the city for sure. I grew up in kits and can't afford it anymore but you can get there so easily. My 2 cents

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
$1800? You must have had a pretty pampered childhood.

Why's that? Welcome to Vancouver. I live in Yaletown and our 2bdrm is 2050 a month. 900 sqft, and it's undervalued. Average rent in our building is 2500+ on top of that the when compared to the mortgage value our place is vastly underpriced. The delta between rent and owning is huge. Mortgage in our apartment would be around 2800-3000 at after 5-10% down, I believe a similar apartment sold for 780,000 just last week.

Times are crazy in Vancouver, and as crazy it is to own an apartment at 700K, it's not as crazy as renting esp, if your a first time home owner. I've been ready to buy a house for a long time but it's just not the right time to buy in Vancouver. Interest rates may be great, but house prices are absolute ****.

If your married, that's what your looking at to live downtown. West-end is great for people looking for roommates. But if your sharing income (ie, household) West-end kind of sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad