Value of: Anze Kopitar

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What would teams be willing to trade for Kopitar? He has a large contract, but the Kings could take back plenty of salary if needed. I'm not sure that the Kings will be contending for a playoff spot by the time his contract is up and I'd hate to see him waste away on this brutal LA team. What's the interest on a guy like Kopitar?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Love to see him in Calgary but I can't see it working considering acquisition cost, age, AAV and I doubt he would waive to come to Canada.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A 10 million dollar, 33 year old center on the wrong side of the curve.....which will get steeper.

How many good years does he have left?

This will be interesting....

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A 10 million dollar, 33 year old center on the wrong side of the curve.....which will get steeper.

How many good years does he have left?

This will be interesting....

3 years left and still has decent play, the issue the is the price. No contender will be able to fit him at 10m and no team with cap space needs a 33 year old center. LA would have to retain salary to make anything work.

I gotta imagine a team like St.louis or Boston would love to run Kopitar behind ROR/Bergeron.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
What would teams be willing to trade for Kopitar? He has a large contract, but the Kings could take back plenty of salary if needed. I'm not sure that the Kings will be contending for a playoff spot by the time his contract is up and I'd hate to see him waste away on this brutal LA team. What's the interest on a guy like Kopitar?

Blake on the record says they're expecting a playoff push starting this year.No team will give up the price it would take to trade for Kopitar and Kings arent going to give him away.

Reactions: funky and Guitpik

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Backlund(2C/cap 5m), Pelletier, Valimaki ?
Huge gamble, Kopitar for 2 years helps compete now but I don't know that he would be enough to make the Flames a serious contender. Losing Valimaki is tough, he's still too young to know for sure but he could be a top pairing dman for a decade. I'd have to pass.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
I am quite sure he is not going anywhere

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
There might be interest from Columbus side, if they could work out a deal that would involve both Kopitar and one of the center prospects. So that Kopitar would be the immediate replacement for PLD and the prospect was the long term replacement. But I doubt they can work out something that works for both teams, because there’s a lot of cap, term and moving parts. The term is obviously the killer. If he had two years left then trying to do a deal around Kopitar and one of Kings’ center prospect for PLD as the basis might be worth trying. I have faith that Kopitar has a couple of good years left, but four is pushing it a bit too much. Well Kopitar would probably block any trade anyway.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
3 years left and still has decent play, the issue the is the price. No contender will be able to fit him at 10m and no team with cap space needs a 33 year old center. LA would have to retain salary to make anything work.

I gotta imagine a team like St.louis or Boston would love to run Kopitar behind ROR/Bergeron.

4 more years left on that contract including this one. Kopitar's modified NTC allows him to pick 7 teams he'd be willing to be traded to, so he essentially controls whether or not he gets traded. Kings would certainly have to eat 30-50% of the cap hit to make a deal work.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Blake on the record says they're expecting a playoff push starting this year.No team will give up the price it would take to trade for Kopitar and Kings arent going to give him away.
See the problem with this situation is it’s one where the GM’s interests are at odds with/diverge from the team’s interests.

As GM, Blake is on the clock and under pressure to make the playoffs ASAP. But the team is in the middle of a major rebuild and while it’s nice to make the playoffs they’ll have no chance at getting past Round 1. All a small playoff run (or attempt to get there) will do is create a brief moment of happiness while screwing the team out of top picks and wasting the last bits of Kopitar/Doughty’s primes.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Boston seems to make the most sense to me. Their window is closing quickly.

First team I thought of as well. Setting aside the obvious (salary issues, roster issues), if it happens it's going to have to be a team in that "window is closing" tier: Boston, Pens, Capitals, Nashville. Maybe you could throw in the teams that are at the height of their powers right now: Dallas, St Louis, Vegas.

Clearly most of those wouldnt work. But Boston, yeah I could see him winding up there and giving them a few more kicks at the can before Krejci, Marchand and Bergeron really start to drop off.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'd be surprised if Columbus was interested in that. What would be the plus from LA?

Kopitar + Turcotte for Dubois + Dubinsky's LTIR contract + goalie prospect (Vevilainen?)?

There might be interest from Columbus side, if they could work out a deal that would involve both Kopitar and one of the center prospects. So that Kopitar would be the immediate replacement for PLD and the prospect was the long term replacement. But I doubt they can work out something that works for both teams, because there’s a lot of cap, term and moving parts. The term is obviously the killer. If he had two years left then trying to do a deal around Kopitar and one of Kings’ center prospect for PLD as the basis might be worth trying. I have faith that Kopitar has a couple of good years left, but four is pushing it a bit too much. Well Kopitar would probably block any trade anyway.

This was my line of thinking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad