Anything : Mike Reilly

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Very good season so far. Him and Tatar look like good players who just didn't get enough playing time elsewhere to figure things out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How the hell did we only get him for a fifth round pick? This guy has been such a great addition to the team, he's part of the reason why we have success right now.
I seem to recall complaints and criticism that they had to give up a 5th. I understand that Bergevin might not be popular in MTL, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Reilly has found a good fit in a team that likes to play fast and forechecks well and aggressively so as to outright avoid the situations in which he's bad (transition defense mostly). I am still skeptical that he can handle the deployment Julien is giving him: highest minutes on the team against the opposition's best players with a rookie partner in relatively extremely defensive deployment. His on-ice numbers relative to the rest of the team are pretty bad at 5 on 5.

Minnesota did handle him poorly and part of his bad play was certainly due to being almost exclusively saddled with Prosser, who drags his team down a ton. I'm not suddenly buying Reilly as a guy who can carry a top pairing long-term, though. I think other players are far more responsible for the Habs' success so far.

Very good season so far. Him and Tatar look like good players who just didn't get enough playing time elsewhere to figure things out.

Tatar was basically a low end top line player up until last year. Not really the same thing.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I seem to recall complaints and criticism that they had to give up a 5th. I understand that Bergevin might not be popular in MTL, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

People were not complaining about the price we paid for Reilly, they were laughing at MB for acquiring another bottom d-man after failed projects like Jerabek, Morrow and Valiev.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
How the hell did we only get him for a fifth round pick? This guy has been such a great addition to the team, he's part of the reason why we have success right now.

People were not complaining about the price we paid for Reilly, they were laughing at MB for acquiring another bottom d-man after failed projects like Jerabek, Morrow and Valiev.

It's a good strategy if you have a bad d group and are in a lost/development season. There are a lot of under- or poorly utilized d out there who could work better in a different context. Roll the dice enough and you might find a Nate Schmidt or someone else worth keeping.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
6a00e55214ffbe883401b8d17cb00f970c-pi

Did I wander onto the CFL board by mistake?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Anything? Really?

Columbus drafted him and was hopeful he was going to be a star for them but signed with the Wild instead... and that turned out to be a bust.

Montreal might be a the team that saves his career. Justin Schultz 2.0.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anything? Really?

Columbus drafted him and was hopeful he was going to be a star for them but signed with the Wild instead... and that turned out to be a bust.

Montreal might be a the team that saves his career. Justin Schultz 2.0.
He was never a bust, just simply couldn't get playing time. Having Suter (who logs the most TOI in the league, usually) and Brodin ahead of you on LD will do that to you.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Which was always a dumb criticism, because it's worth trying to find undervalued players and if one doesn't work out, move on until you find guys like Byron or Rielly.

Reactions: AustonGretzky

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Wasn't Valieve acquired at about the same time?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Good thing it’s not his only strategy!

It's his main strategy. His other ones are equally bad. I'll give him credit for the changes he made this offseason resulting in a much more fun team to watch but at the end of the day it doesn't change 6 years of failure.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This guy is now the go-to guy for Claude Julien I know it’s only been 6 games so far but I can’t believe MTL got him for a 5th round pick ? He really look like a younger Mike Green and he is only 25 year old. He is also very similar to Thomas Kaberle when he skates.

I know he proved nothing so far but why did the others teams saw nothing in him !? Is this another proof you must take time to develop a D ?
I saw “Claude Julien” a checked the date on the post. He’s still coaching in the NHL? Habs? Great. Like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad