OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
For those following along at home on live television, I'm fine. Never got the order to evacuate in spite of the entire west coast being set abalze. I could have done without the chainsmoker experience, though. Smoke is still very thick here.
Glad to hear you are doing well! We had the Bighorn Fire here in Tucson earlier this year that caused us plenty of grief. What is weird is when the lightning hit and they knew about the fire not much was done until it got to 40 acres. Then the wind picked up and it went like crazy. It was so weird watching Mount Lemmon burn night after night. At least no homes or businesses were lost but it has definitely changed the landscape there with 80,000+ acres burned. Then the Rincon Mtns catching fire then other side of town. For a Midwesterner it is definitely eye opening.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Glad to hear you are doing well! We had the Bighorn Fire here in Tucson earlier this year that caused us plenty of grief. What is weird is when the lightning hit and they knew about the fire not much was done until it got to 40 acres. Then the wind picked up and it went like crazy. It was so weird watching Mount Lemmon burn night after night. At least no homes or businesses were lost but it has definitely changed the landscape there with 80,000+ acres burned. Then the Rincon Mtns catching fire then other side of town. For a Midwesterner it is definitely eye opening.

I hear ya. The Riverside fire got to about 20 miles from us (with a major river separating--so that's good). Right now it's at 135,401 acres and is about 3% contained. It's not moving in our direction anymore. Like a good number of the west coast fires it was cause by human action, but not, as a lot of propoganda news sites claim, the work of any protest group...and thankfully to my knowledge not the result of one of those dumbarse gender reveals like that California fire. No new reports on the amount of property damaged, but there is some. We're under a don't waste water order to spare water use for firefighting. There also wasn't widespread looting.

For perspective the whole county the last 2 weeks was under at least level 1 evacuation orders (a.k.a get your crap together), my wife's job work which was about 10 miles away was level 3 (a.k.a. GTFO NOW!!!)

The smoke's gotten better as well. For the 1st time in a week we're down to "Very Unhealthy" with ~250 AQI. It's been into "Hazardous" with a peak of 638 AQI. I don't think it'll get much better until we get some much needed rain. I really hope the Bighorn fire didn't put the AQI into hazardous for you down in Tuscon. That crap got really old really fast.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Have any of you had any experience with Salary-related websites? Glass Door, Payscale.com, etc...

Have you found them to be relatively reliable and accurate?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Working in a predominantly Hispanic area of Chicago...

Holy crap. The neighborhood went f***ing hard for the day of Mexican independence. After a sixteen hour shift Pulaski was still a drunken mess at three AM. Lots of people flying flags and cutting through lanes of traffic at reckless speeds. We were dealing with gun shots and fireworks at two AM. Been here ten years. Covid has folks wound tight. We’re never going back to the lockdown days, come hell or high water.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Working in a predominantly Hispanic area of Chicago...

Holy crap. The neighborhood went f***ing hard for the day of Mexican independence. After a sixteen hour shift Pulaski was still a drunken mess at three AM. Lots of people flying flags and cutting through lanes of traffic at reckless speeds. We were dealing with gun shots and fireworks at two AM. Been here ten years. Covid has folks wound tight. We’re never going back to the lockdown days, come hell or high water.
It took me 45 minutes to get home from softball last night, usually about a 12 minute drive from Lincoln Park to the South Loop. Crazy how many people were out, never seen that on prior Mexican Independence Days.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Me: Hey, someone from work sent out a group email announcing her pregnancy! Nice. I'll do the nice and responsible thing and reply to her only to congratulate her.

*sends email*

Me: Now, back to.....

*receives eight emails in a minute from other co-workers replying all*

Me: .... f***.

*receives five more emails the next minute*

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's a DMV near by (Naperville) that I drive by a few times a week and the lines are so depressing. Of course people are spaced out, so it looks worse than it is, but I've seen people bring lawn chairs.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's a DMV near by (Naperville) that I drive by a few times a week and the lines are so depressing. Of course people are spaced out, so it looks worse than it is, but I've seen people bring lawn chairs.

As I pointed out (I think it was early August) if you go to one of the DMV's in rural area's they are open and lines are not an issue

Its worth it IMO especially if your going to stand in line 5-6 hours anyway at local DMV

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

My fiance went to the Naperville DMV back in July and it wasn't as bad as the lines look. It took her about an hour and a half or two hours I think. The lines outside are because of social distancing, and only allowing a limited amount of people inside at a time. I feel like an hour and a half or so is normal for that location. It's a big facility, and services a lot of really big suburbs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

The one on 75th, right? Had to go there over the summer. Got there 30 minutes after it opened and there was already a line 15 people long out the door, which wasn't including the elderly people who get to cut line.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

probably a fair chance downtown has protests if anybody is in area

My area is readying for potential curfew with dump trucks/barriers being put near sites that may be blocked off

South Suburbs have played no games after the riots earlier in summer when Lightfoot horded every resource and left South/West side to suffer along with South Suburbs

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Sadly you are likely correct

Lori will probably demand every cook county sheriff , state trooper and NG downtown

I hope Dart and Pritzker dont allow her to pull BS she pulled during GF riots

National guard is on alert going into today
So they have options should they choose to mobilize them more then the 150 they did the last time

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Some NG units have now been deployed into Chicago (Mainly the loop) with more on standby to move in if needed

CPD mobilizing for tonight potential unrest as there is call for protests downtown tonight "Last time that turned into looting/riot"

Reactions: Mrfenn92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad