Anything Goes 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That’s so cool man. Was it kind of big in the sky or did it just look like a greenish shooting star?

It was very noticeable, honestly thought it was a firework somehow angled down for a half second. Infinitely bigger and brighter than a shooting star. Kind of hard to compare it with anything else in the night sky other than obviously not being as big or bright as the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Saw a big honking meteor downstate just a bit ago. Very cool surprise.

tumblr_p5dn42wkrT1wdzsbvo4_500.jpg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Applying for a job opening I liked, and man it requires for than I expected. Cover letter (that’s still a thing?), resume, 2 letters of recommendation.

Hopefully it’s worth it! I don’t meet the requirements on experience, but I figured it was still worth a shot.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Applying for a job opening I liked, and man it requires for than I expected. Cover letter (that’s still a thing?), resume, 2 letters of recommendation.

Hopefully it’s worth it!

The company I work at is all about cover letters. We specifically state to write down why you’d be a good fit for the company culture and the role, for internal and external candidates. Internal candidates aren’t even asked to submit a resume. Just a cover letter.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The company I work at is all about cover letters. We specifically state to write down why you’d be a good fit for the company culture and the role, for internal and external candidates. Internal candidates aren’t even asked to submit a resume. Just a cover letter.

I actually kind of like the idea of cover letters because it lets you expand on a few things, but I just didn’t even know companies were about that anymore.

It did allow me to expand on why I think I could excel at the job despite not meeting the experience requirements, which I liked.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

It makes sense. It’s so easy to apply with one click that requiring a cover letter filters out people who spam listings.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Cover letters are probably (or should be) more important than the actual resume

I believe the two mixed together are very useful. Resume helps show what you’ve done, while the cover letter helps you further explain some things. I just don’t know if I had any companies ask for one when I was applying for jobs out of college.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I believe the two mixed together are very useful. Resume helps show what you’ve done, while the cover letter helps you further explain some things. I just don’t know if I had any companies ask for one when I was applying for jobs out of college.

Oh for sure. Resumes are still important. And it probably varies depending on the type of company/job.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Needless to say, getting all that stuff together is such a damn hassle. I obviously understand the importance, but damn it’s a pain in the ass.

Reactions: d rake

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Shameless plug here, go see John Vincent sing up in Wrigleyville through December 22nd. If you aren’t sure of who he is, he sings the anthem for the Cubs. Sings a lot of Sinatra, Rat Pack stuff, soul, country. Puts on a great show, bring the girlfriend, bring the wife, bring the parents. It’s a great time.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Does anyone have any good ideas for a Christmas office potluck? Ever had anything really good at one? Cooking or baking is fine.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Watched Irishman. It was okay, but not nearly as good as I would expect from a Scorsese/Deniro/Pacino/Pesci film. The acting was great, but the storyline just so-so.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Watched Irishman. It was okay, but not nearly as good as I would expect from a Scorsese/Deniro/Pacino/Pesci film. The acting was great, but the storyline just so-so.

That's a long run time for a "meh."

I saw "Doctor Sleep" last night and thought it was ****ing excellent. A big departure from The Shining in many respects, but on it's own a far better film that most out there at the moment.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yikes, White Island off the northern coast of New Zealand erupted while a tour group was there. At least five dead, likely closer to thirty. That was one of the places I visited about a decade ago back when I was in college.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
That's a long run time for a "meh."

I saw "Doctor Sleep" last night and thought it was ****ing excellent. A big departure from The Shining in many respects, but on it's own a far better film that most out there at the moment.

I read doctor sleep and didn’t think much of it, which was disappointing because I loved the shining. Maybe the film is better than the book.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Someone used the "Ok boomer" line with me today on another message board, because I think PC culture has gotten out of hand into the realm of over-sensitivity to every tiny little thing.

Gotta love this wonderful world we live in where a 35 year old progressive gets called a boomer by a 50 year old woke hipster. :laugh:

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Someone used the "Ok boomer" line with me today on another message board, because I think PC culture has gotten out of hand into the realm of over-sensitivity to every tiny little thing.

Gotta love this wonderful world we live in where a 35 year old progressive gets called a boomer by a 50 year old woke hipster. :laugh:

I think context is everything. What were you claiming shouldn’t be deemed offensive?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think context is everything. What were you claiming shouldn’t be deemed offensive?

Essentially, a brewery here called Mikerphone names all their beer names after songs. It's their shtick. They have Imperial "Smells Like Bean Spirit" as an example, for an imperial stout with vanilla bean. They named a new beer they came out with "Sundae Yummy Sundae" because the adjuncts in the beer are those found in a traditional ice cream sundae, and it fit with the U2 song Sunday Bloody Sunday. They hadn't realized their mistake, and corrected it with an apology within a day or so.

I said that the brewery wasn't being insensitive towards the actual events of Bloody Sunday, they were just naming a beer after a song, realized their mistake, and corrected it. And I didn't even make the statement that it shouldn't be deemed offensive. I simply said "PC culture is getting out of hand these days." And also said something along the lines of "It's getting to a point where you need to know 1000 years of every little historical incident that occurred in that time, before you say anything about anything."

Every tiny little thing is deemed offensive by some people, and those who think it's offensive, aren't even those who should find it offensive... such as actual Irish people in this instance. It's more SJW's always looking for a reason to cry foul.

The brewery owner/brewer who named the beer did not realize the history behind Bloody Sunday, and so wasn't being insensitive to the events of that day. And once he did hear the history of it, he corrected it by changing the beer name. Yet people still felt the need to lash out at him and the brewery about it.

At which point someone used the term "Ok Boomer" with me, because I have the opinion that PC culture has gotten to be outrageous these days.

I just find it more common, nowadays, that those outraged by things, aren't even those who should be outraged by them, all the while, they don't know why they're outraged, yet try to tell other people that they should also be outraged. If that makes sense.

The guy who said "Ok Boomer" to me, for instance. He had never even heard of Bloody Sunday, or the U2 song, prior to hearing about the outrage for the beer name. All the sudden he was outraged over something he never even knew about... :laugh:

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm loving my MacBook Air more and more. Been a PC guy all my life. Made the switch because it's a lot more intuitive for coding (at least for a noob like myself) and haven't regretted the change at all.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Anyone here ever been out to the San Fran area? Heading there for the Illinois bowl game at the end of the month and looking for any suggestions on breweries, tours, places to eat, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->