WJC: Anything for Frk's Spear Job?

jughead42*

Alright, I have no issues with the supplemental discipline that was dished out for the ruthless checks the last couple days but where is the suspension for Frk's spear job on Gudbranson? Does the IIHF define a spear to the groin area differently than the NHL defines it? (similar to their different interpretation of "head") or are ballcrushing jabs with a stick simply legal now? I did some searching for info on a suspension for the kid but didn't see anything.

While I'm at it, what is it about Gudbranson that attracts spears to his groin. Apparently Kassian gave him a good one in camp as well, it makes me wonder if he's got a magnet in his cup.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Wasn't that a spear to the head?

OK...maybe not the head what most people think of but still......

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Don't think they are defined in a different way, didn't see this one though. YT?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
He's playing tonight. They have automatic 1 game suspension only for checks to "head and neck area".

goknights45

Sep 20, 2010
It's hard to believe that there is no suspension. Not surprised by what Frk did though, the Czechs are masters at stickwork, always have been, always will be.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
It's hard to believe that there is no suspension. Not surprised by what Frk did though, the Czechs are masters at stickwork, always have been, always will be.

Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken doesn't agree with you.

slap_shot_movie.jpg

Thepuckdropshere

Mar 24, 2007
www.ronmycholuk.com
To paint all Czechs with that brush is ridiculous, but what he did is worse imo than what Kassian did. The IIHF is showing that hits to the head are more important to them than stick work. It was a cheap shot, by a player with a reputation for cheap shots.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Maybe next time Kassian will slash a player in the balls instead of trying to land a good hockey check, less punishment!

goknights45

Sep 20, 2010
This shouldn't be anything new. Everyone knows that historically the Czechs would use their sticks to spear, slash, etc. as a ploy to win in international tournaments. It's not as bad now, but guys like Owen Nolan would agree that the Czechs are known for this kind of stuff.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
To paint all Czechs with that brush is ridiculous, but what he did is worse imo than what Kassian did. The IIHF is showing that hits to the head are more important to them than stick work. It was a cheap shot, by a player with a reputation for cheap shots.

I´m not at all defending what Frk did. It was quite a lame and stupid thing to do and in my opinion he should have gotten a one day suspension. It would have at least shown him to not do this stupid stuff again and not mindlessly weaken his team (which sucks in PK btw:) )

However I do understand IIHF´s policy - looking at head and neck injuries with more concern. They are just more life threatening than stick fouls and potential for truly heavy injuries is higher...plain and simple.

jughead42*

However I do understand IIHF´s policy - looking at head and neck injuries with more concern. They are just more life threatening than stick fouls and potential for truly heavy injuries is higher...plain and simple.

Tell that to Gudbranson and his unborn children. I'll take a stick to the face over a stick to the sack any day of the week and twice on sunday.:shakehead

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Or he could just read the rules before he goes to WJC.

If he was 2 inches shorter or the Czech player got up off the ice there wouldn't have been a suspension. It was very borderline - late if anything.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
If he was 2 inches shorter or the Czech player got up off the ice there wouldn't have been a suspension. It was very borderline - late if anything.

You could take it one furhter, if the Czech player had gotten up, there wouldn't have even been a penalty. Both refs (you can clearly see from different replays) are looking directly at the play and neither is going to call a penalty.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

I know. I'm not sure but IIHF rules aren't saying anything about height of the players, are they? If not, then it doesn't matter. Also they say that possible injury does affect form of the penalty, which is going to be called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->