OT: Anyone want to skate tonight??

Puckschmuck*

Winnipeg doesn't really have sprawling distant exurban suburbs in the way that a U.S. city would have, if that's what you mean. It's all one lump, with the city itself comprising around 90% of the "metropolitan area" population, which in any event is only about 750,000 people in total. I'd guess that a typical Winnipegger would be within at most 25-30 minutes drive (non-rush hour) of 90% of the other people in the city. So if you said, let's go skating, it would indeed be feasible for many of the people on this board to show up 45 minutes later, wherever you were in the city. I'm in Toronto, where such invitations wouldn't make much sense, and I certainly miss this aspect of life in Winnipeg.

The city itself is now over 700K, and the metropolitan area is now over 780K. Winnipeg is now Canada's 7th largest metropolitan area and growing. It may not be 10 bazillion people kind of big, but it's a great city with a great future. Friggen awesome!

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I've got some less than quality skating skills, but I'd be willing to go out next time...just need a little more advance notice...at worst case I'll Antroslug it around the ice.

bazaaa*

The city itself is now over 700K, and the metropolitan area is now over 780K. Winnipeg is now Canada's 7th largest metropolitan area and growing. It may not be 10 bazillion people kind of big, but it's a great city with a great future. Friggen awesome!

Barely.

Manitoba (5.2 per cent) was the only western province with a population increase below the national average.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Just barely on topic...

This year I asked for a pair of skates for Christmas, and since I didn't really ask for anything else, was given them.

The local neighbourhood here in Edmonton built an outdoor rink just this year, so I've gone out sating a couple times - the first time I've been on skates for at least a decade.

DAMMIT! - it's been fun. There's nothing like being on skates. It almost makes me want to go to the Oilers board to see if people are gathering to go play some shinny - if not for the fact I'm a born and bred Pegger and I hate the Oilers.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Do they allow chairs on the ice? :) Nah, I'm not quite that bad at skating, except for the part where I haven't actually learned how to stop quite yet. :laugh: I'd be interested in this, I don't have skates or a helmet at the moment, but I'd probably pick them up if this is something we'd do every now and then.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
It's something I'd like to do more often. Outdoors or rent some ice and just have fun. Doesn't matter if you can or can't skate. Would be cool to eventually start up an HF beer league team. :)

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I started skating again this year for the first time in 15 years, give or take. I've really missed it and with the Jets back, there was a strong inner calling to get back out there. At 39 years old, I am so out of shape... Cardio is horrible. My goal is to drop some weight over the summer and really get at it again next year with the goal of eventually playing as a scrub on some beer league team. For the time being, I forgot how much skates can hurt your feet when you aren't used to them.

Anyhoo... I hit an outdoor rink after work today for a quick skate and the days are numbered now I guess... The blue and red lines were partially melted and the ice had recessed from the boards an inch or more.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I started skating again this year for the first time in 15 years, give or take. I've really missed it and with the Jets back, there was a strong inner calling to get back out there. At 39 years old, I am so out of shape... Cardio is horrible. My goal is to drop some weight over the summer and really get at it again next year with the goal of eventually playing as a scrub on some beer league team. For the time being, I forgot how much skates can hurt your feet when you aren't used to them.

Anyhoo... I hit an outdoor rink after work today for a quick skate and the days are numbered now I guess... The blue and red lines were partially melted and the ice had recessed from the boards an inch or more.

I hear ya, almost the same story for me; 18 years for me (38 yrs old now) Jets return drove me to get skates again. I put on too much weight this year, though partially not my fault (car accident and knee scope).

I was out @ Bronx this afternoon, it was bad along the boards. Gotta get my cardio back as well, figure soccer this summer might do it. Was hesitant to play anything with my trick knee, but now that it is fixed :sarcasm: I trust it more. Seems to be holding up on the ice. Been out about 15 times this winter, hope to squeeze a hard last push on the ice in the evenings until they shut it down.

My brother is hounding me to play beer league in the fall, so I gotta drop the weight and get back to normal.
HF beer league would be awesome...would we be named the JERTS?

There is a team down in the states playing beer league that are named the "Peter North Stars" and Pete sponsors them... :naughty:
Not going into details on that one, but the on ice jokes would be endless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad