OT: Anyone want to skate tonight??

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd go but I don't have a helmet and I probably need one; I'm terrible at skating. I make up for it with my excellent stick-handling though - it lets me look at my feet instead of the puck :sarcasm:.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, if anyone else makes it out just say you're from HF and we'll roll out a red carpet. :)

edit - Never mind looks like no one is going, cancel that.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
So do most Jets fans actually live in Winnipeg itself?

Winnipeg doesn't really have sprawling distant exurban suburbs in the way that a U.S. city would have, if that's what you mean. It's all one lump, with the city itself comprising around 90% of the "metropolitan area" population, which in any event is only about 750,000 people in total. I'd guess that a typical Winnipegger would be within at most 25-30 minutes drive (non-rush hour) of 90% of the other people in the city. So if you said, let's go skating, it would indeed be feasible for many of the people on this board to show up 45 minutes later, wherever you were in the city. I'm in Toronto, where such invitations wouldn't make much sense, and I certainly miss this aspect of life in Winnipeg.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Winnipeg doesn't really have sprawling distant exurban suburbs in the way that a U.S. city would have, if that's what you mean. It's all one lump, with the city itself comprising around 90% of the "metropolitan area" population, which in any event is only about 750,000 people in total. I'd guess that a typical Winnipegger would be within at most 25-30 minutes drive (non-rush hour) of 90% of the other people in the city. So if you said, let's go skating, it would indeed be feasible for many of the people on this board to show up 45 minutes later, wherever you were in the city. I'm in Toronto, where such invitations wouldn't make much sense, and I certainly miss this aspect of life in Winnipeg.

Makes sense. I was wondering why so many people were able to show up at that one location the night the report was in the Globe and Mail that a deal had been done to bring the Thrashers to Winnipeg.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Makes sense. I was wondering why so many people were able to show up at that one location the night the report was in the Globe and Mail that a deal had been done to bring the Thrashers to Winnipeg.

PS I love Georgia (and the rest of the South for that matter). Can't wait to head back there in May on my way to Miami.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
PS I love Georgia (and the rest of the South for that matter). Can't wait to head back there in May on my way to Miami.

Yea I'm with you Bro.....other than the traffic Atlanta is beyond spectacular.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yea I'm with you Bro.....other than the traffic Atlanta is beyond spectacular.

Atlanta is beautiful (it was SO hot when I was there last May), and I was so surprised how gorgeous Tennessee is. Nashville is amazing but the friggin Appalachians are stunning!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
So do most Jets fans actually live in Winnipeg itself?

To add to this, most Canadian cities (other than Toronto and Vancouver) have amalgamated, meaning all the suburbs are essentially just neighbourhoods. You don't have multiple separately-governed towns that border on the city, they're typically separated by some distance of highway/farmland if they're not part of the city - think New York with its boroughs rather than the Twin Cities. That's a huge difference I've noticed between the U.S. and Canada (again, aside from Toronto & Vancouver). Besides which, Winnipeg is really not that big. Most Jets fans live in Winnipeg and can get to a centrally located area in under 30 minutes on the weekend.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Manitoba in general in highly unpopulated other than Winnipeg so it makes sense that most fans would be from the city. Closest 'big' cities are Brandon at 40k and two hours away, Kenora has 16k and is two hours away and Morden/Winkler which is another 16k and a hour an a half away

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Atlanta is beautiful (it was SO hot when I was there last May), and I was so surprised how gorgeous Tennessee is. Nashville is amazing but the friggin Appalachians are stunning!

If you ever get an opportunity to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway DO IT DO IT DO IT. That entire area is beautiful. But why the heck to they boil peanuts :amazed:

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Ugh my "Friday Night" Hockey that I went to for 15 years is over :cry:

I wanna get out again play some hockey. I folded my Spongee team when the Jets came back No Time for that lol

So yeah you wanna Rent Ice lemme know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad