OT: Anyone use sling TV to watch the Yotes?

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
The only reason we still have cable is so i can watch the coyotes play since most of the games are on FSN+. Does anyone here use Sling TV and do you know if it carries the coyotes?

thanks for the responses!

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Yes it does. I got rid of cable and the games stream great.

My ONLY complaint is it's a tad bit delayed. Mine can be like 2 whole minutes delayed. So I suggest putting your phone away until commercials haha

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il

My ONLY complaint is it's a tad bit delayed. Mine can be like 2 whole minutes delayed. So I suggest putting your phone away until commercials haha

Haha, i can live with that, i just want to be able to A. see the games and B. have high quality resolution.

How well does the DVR function work?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Haha, i can live with that, i just want to be able to A. see the games and B. have high quality resolution.

I don't use the DVR function. To be quite honest I didn't even know it had one.

I stream it on the Xbox in the living room or the Apple TV in the bedroom. I can stream from both devices at the same time without any issue.

The quality is okay. I have a 4k TV in the living room, and a 1080p in my bedroom. They both stream it okay. It doesn't look the best, but it fills the TV with no black bars on either set.

The mute function works great when kid caster is on

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I stopped my subscription around playoff time since I now have access to directtv, but this is spot on. It never quite hit 60 FPS for me, but the price difference is staggering. I only used my TV to watch the coyotes and football, so yeah paying for a bunch of crappy channels I'm never going to use didn't appeal to me at all. Unless it's changed if you get the espn sling package you also get access to the watch espn app which has some college hockey on, and all kinds of other stuff.

It should do both of those things. DVR was brand new to sling when I dropped it, but it was horrendous. Like unusable. Playstation Vue had a pretty functional DVR, but for some reason they didn't get fsn+. just regular fsn. They both have free trials though, so I'd just try them both out for a week when the season starts.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
I stopped my subscription around playoff time since I now have access to directtv, but this is spot on. It never quite hit 60 FPS for me, but the price difference is staggering. I only used my TV to watch the coyotes and football, so yeah paying for a bunch of crappy channels I'm never going to use didn't appeal to me at all. Unless it's changed if you get the espn sling package you also get access to the watch espn app which has some college hockey on, and all kinds of other stuff.

It should do both of those things. DVR was brand new to sling when I dropped it, but it was horrendous. Like unusable. Playstation Vue had a pretty functional DVR, but for some reason they didn't get fsn+. just regular fsn. They both have free trials though, so I'd just try them both out for a week when the season starts.

thanks for the review, i'm pretty much in the same boat. the only reason why we still have cable is for sports, but its getting difficult to justify spending $150 a month. especially in the off-season

I've heard great things about Vue, but it looks like it costs almost as much as cable. we are planning on running the trials, but didn't really want to wait til september or find out there's blackouts or something stupid like that

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
thanks for the review, i'm pretty much in the same boat. the only reason why we still have cable is for sports, but its getting difficult to justify spending $150 a month. especially in the off-season

I've heard great things about Vue, but it looks like it costs almost as much as cable. we are planning on running the trials, but didn't really want to wait til september or find out there's blackouts or something stupid like that
Ah so you need it now? I wouldn't worry about blackouts, that's not a problem I ever had. Playstation Vue must have seriously upped their prices, they were in line with sling when I tried them out. If not for the fsn+ problem I would've stuck with them. You could always just go sling until the season starts then start your Vue trial. I think dish or direct now have a streaming option too, could be worth checking out.

The price for cable or dish if all you want is sports is just dumb. With every streaming device supporting sling and Vue it's not even like it's hard to find ways to watch it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How do you get NHL games on Sling? I thought they only had some cable channels.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

They've started to get deals with RSNs in the last yearish. You can get Dbacks games too now. But it's not in all areas.

Also I believe they even have so it so you get a "GO" account so you can skip the sling interface entirely if you need to.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Fox sports net and net plus, they also have NBC sports, and nhl network in the sports add on. I used it along with my over the air antenna and had every game available in my market all season. I think I paid 50 a month total including ESPN (for college football) and the sports add on (for nhl and NFL network). I also got a free roku every other month for paying a month ahead.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
They've started to get deals with RSNs in the last yearish. You can get Dbacks games too now. But it's not in all areas.

Also I believe they even have so it so you get a "GO" account so you can skip the sling interface entirely if you need to.
Yup, when I had it I had access to FSN go, watch ESPN, fxnow, you name it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I will have to hold out hope they get MSG someday.

Fox sports net and net plus, they also have NBC sports, and nhl network in the sports add on. I used it along with my over the air antenna and had every game available in my market all season. I think I paid 50 a month total including ESPN (for college football) and the sports add on (for nhl and NFL network). I also got a free roku every other month for paying a month ahead.

I get Fox sports (No Rangers) and NBC Sports (2-5 Rangers games a year). It would be great if we all could get only the teams we want for a decent price.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I have a chromebook that costs $130. + chromecast that is $35. These are one time costs. Then purchase the Gamecenter live one team pkg for $105. The chromebook/chromecast combo casts the games right to your tv and I'm satisfied.

If you have a windows laptop just download chrome browser and it will work in place of a chromebook laptop (save the $130). :)

zz

Nov 1, 2006
For whatever that's worth, I've had good luck streaming games on PC, Roku and Amazon Fire Stick, but my 1st gen Chromecast keeps barfing on the streams. Super choppy, unwatchable. Hopefully the issue got resolved with later models.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I stream games through the NHL tv app and access it with my XBox. Unfortunately, the blackouts suck, but I figure if it gets too annoying, I'll just disguise my location and say I'm from Louisiana or something(I used to stream with a laptop and can always return to it). Luckily, I'm out of market, so I just get blacked out for Flyers, Penguins, and Capitals game (in addition to the national games). If your cable runs $150/month, the NHL package is much cheaper than dealing with cable costs (I cut the cord nearly 7 years ago and no complaints)

I'm a bit confused about Sling. They have all sorts of packages, but I'd only really be interested in the hockey (I suppose I could get rid of Netflix and/or Hulu if I switched to Sling and DVR other stuff if their built-in DVR is any good). I'm just not sure how sling handles regional stuff (would I in PA, have access to Fox Sports in AZ?) I'm not too thrilled with NHL TV, but it works fine (on the most part).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I stream games through the NHL tv app and access it with my XBox. Unfortunately, the blackouts suck, but I figure if it gets too annoying, I'll just disguise my location and say I'm from Louisiana or something(I used to stream with a laptop and can always return to it). Luckily, I'm out of market, so I just get blacked out for Flyers, Penguins, and Capitals game (in addition to the national games). If your cable runs $150/month, the NHL package is much cheaper than dealing with cable costs (I cut the cord nearly 7 years ago and no complaints)

I'm a bit confused about Sling. They have all sorts of packages, but I'd only really be interested in the hockey (I suppose I could get rid of Netflix and/or Hulu if I switched to Sling and DVR other stuff if their built-in DVR is any good). I'm just not sure how sling handles regional stuff (would I in PA, have access to Fox Sports in AZ?) I'm not too thrilled with NHL TV, but it works fine (on the most part).

No it would be your local sports stations if anything.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm still holding out on paying for anything. I only watch games for free. Sometimes the feed isn't very good. If there was a fairly inexpensive way to just get Fox Sports AZ I'd do it but I'm not spending a ton on a package I'll never use.

Feb 12, 2003
I tried doing the Playstation Vue service earlier in the year and they have a lot of bugs to work out. Despite living in Peoria, AZ they were unable to provide me with FSNAZ. I spent hours on the phone with tech support to try to get it resolved, but they could not figure it out.

There are a couple of new services that might have potential. I think Youtube has a TV service now and there is also Hulu TV (new and different than traditional Hulu service) which looks like my leading candidate at the moment.

We cut the cord about 7-8 years ago and have been using Netflix, Hulu and Youtube ever since for $20 a month compared to the $80+ a month we spent on DirectTV back then. The big thing for me was that I preferred to watch less TV and these services all made it DVR-like where we could watch stuff on demand. We definitely missed out on some shows, but missing out on TV is a probably a plus in the end result.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I don't use the DVR function. To be quite honest I didn't even know it had one.

I stream it on the Xbox in the living room or the Apple TV in the bedroom. I can stream from both devices at the same time without any issue.

The quality is okay. I have a 4k TV in the living room, and a 1080p in my bedroom. They both stream it okay. It doesn't look the best, but it fills the TV with no black bars on either set.

The mute function works great when kid caster is on

Good to know you have your priorities straight. :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Have been researching cord-cutting options lately.

No experience with either service, but Vue claims to have FSNAZ in their "Core" package and Directv Live in their "Just Right" package. Both packages are one price tier above the cheapest base option. No idea if either gets FSN+.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Have been researching cord-cutting options lately.

No experience with either service, but Vue claims to have FSNAZ in their "Core" package and Directv Live in their "Just Right" package. Both packages are one price tier above the cheapest base option. No idea if either gets FSN+.

Have Vue and love it, but I don't see FSN+ anywhere. I use other programs/sources to stream games.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

With my wife going to a pool position at the end of the month, this is a timely thread. We have been discussing this a lot.

We do do the NHL package and get every game but the televised Yotes games. If I could scramble my location with a VPN or the like, I'd be set and not need Vue or Sling.

Is anyone doing this and does it work?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd like to think it'll be a glorious day when sports fans can cut the cable without several compromises but I suspect by the time that day comes the new solution will probably be just as expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad