anyone know where i can read EJ radick(?) Espn article on his solution to CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
i heard the tale end of an interview with this guy and he writes for ESPN the magazine, i have googled the magazine but don't see the specific article anywhere and i obviously don't know how to spell his name but maybe someone here can help.

The guy on the Fan 590 interviewing EJ said his solution to the lockout was excellent and covered all aspects of a new agreement. I am curious to read it but cannot find it, help is appreciated.

Cheers :help:

Feb 12, 2003
I have to admit, it's a great proposal considering I don't agree with several items, but it still probably favors the owners more than the PA would accept.

Hradek's Proposal
. 70 game schedule, division matchups x 7, conference matches x 3
. 17 players dressed per game, 23 man rosters
. Waiver exempt up to 210 NHL games for skaters, 150 games for goalies, or for 4 years, whichever comes first.
. UFA age 31 next season, 30 next two seasons, 29 next two seasons.
. RFA compensation would be a player or pre-determined first rounder
. Qualifying offer of 100% prior contract, no 10% raise
. Salary Arbitration can be opted by team or by player. Helps teams to opt for arbitration to lower salaries as well if they don't want to qualify a player.
. Arbitration eligible after 5 NHL seasons, or skaters with 150 NHL games, or goalies with 105 NHL games.
. Entry Level Contract is 3 years, capped 500k first year, 600k second, 700 third year. Contract bonuses would max out at 900k. Mandatory two-way clause at 60k salary.
. Entry Level Contracts ages 18-23 are 3 years, ages 23-25 are 2 years, rookies 25 and older 1 year. Two years capped at $2.2M, and 1 years capped at $1M.
. Revenue sharing on various aspects to be spread evenly through the league.
. Salary rollback of 7.5%
. Luxury Tax high threshold of $34M. Dollar for dollar over $39M, half that under $39M. Each team receives exemption 20% of total salary from Tax, can be spent on up to 3 players.
. 5 year term.

joechip

May 29, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
www.sabrerattling.com
GoCoyotes said:
I have to admit, it's a great proposal considering I don't agree with several items, but it still probably favors the owners more than the PA would accept.

Hradek's Proposal
. 70 game schedule, division matchups x 7, conference matches x 3
. 17 players dressed per game, 23 man rosters
. Waiver exempt up to 210 NHL games for skaters, 150 games for goalies, or for 4 years, whichever comes first.
. UFA age 31 next season, 30 next two seasons, 29 next two seasons.
. RFA compensation would be a player or pre-determined first rounder
. Qualifying offer of 100% prior contract, no 10% raise
. Salary Arbitration can be opted by team or by player. Helps teams to opt for arbitration to lower salaries as well if they don't want to qualify a player.
. Arbitration eligible after 5 NHL seasons, or skaters with 150 NHL games, or goalies with 105 NHL games.
. Entry Level Contract is 3 years, capped 500k first year, 600k second, 700 third year. Contract bonuses would max out at 900k. Mandatory two-way clause at 60k salary.
. Entry Level Contracts ages 18-23 are 3 years, ages 23-25 are 2 years, rookies 25 and older 1 year. Two years capped at $2.2M, and 1 years capped at $1M.
. Revenue sharing on various aspects to be spread evenly through the league.
. Salary rollback of 7.5%
. Luxury Tax high threshold of $34M. Dollar for dollar over $39M, half that under $39M. Each team receives exemption 20% of total salary from Tax, can be spent on up to 3 players.
. 5 year term.

Great summary.

You did leave out hatt the Luxury Tax Exemption is capped at $6 million or 20% of the total payroll, whichever is lower.

Also, there's a significant revenue sharing component to ensure taht teams receive and spend a minimum amount on salaries, most of which I really like.

Compared to the system in place today or the one from TSN, Hradek's proposal is a very good one. I like it a lot and the only thing I would change is to tie the luxury tax penalties to the total amount of revenue sharing received. Use the $34mill as a starting point and then adjust that number annually based on the performance of the league, and, by extension, the players. This ensures that both work together for the betterment of all.

Adjust the numbers to suit the tastes of the people who will have to abide by it, sign it, and start playing friggin' Hockey!

Ta,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->