Anyone heard anything about Lidstrom # retirement?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
They were planning on doing it this year but weren't sure if it'd be a good idea with the abbreviated season and the fans being upset with the league. They're going to retire it some time next season.

datbwoymjp

Wa gwan?
Feb 16, 2013
Metro Detroit
I figured the lockout would maybe delay it, but I also thought they'd maybe use it to try and get some people to come out if there was any lockout-inspired dip in attendance.

loLZokAY

str8 gonger
Apr 11, 2011
They said it was planned for sometime in Feb this year, but due to the lockout they just didn't have time to re-organize everything so fast. So, to make it easier on all bodies, they just rescheduled it for next season but I can't honestly remember if they had gave out a date with it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah basically remember when he was in town visiting and staying at Homers and they kept showing each game. That was the time period when they were going to do it, an early February game against Columbus was the old plan. Basically have heard opening night, but I think they stopped that because obviously that means no banner night not that everyone around both the organization and fans doesn't know better at this point, but it is just an optical thing. That and they could have rethought the placement of it.

One thing to watch for is they generally have scouting summits during the season. A couple of them where you hear all of the scouts will be in town. I would think if they scrap the opening night idea, one of them will be when Lidstrom is in town for that. As his February visit was in part about coming up with a full on picture of his role with the organization if I remember right and that was what they were basing his previous retirement on.

Will be very excited to watch it go up. One of my favorite pictures on the wings.

518241.PNG

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I figured the lockout would maybe delay it, but I also thought they'd maybe use it to try and get some people to come out if there was any lockout-inspired dip in attendance.

They said the opposite right away, I think they might have continued on if they knew the response would be this good. But they weren't going to use this as anything but an honor and at the appropriate time. The interesting thing would have been if this season was super ugly, I wonder if they might have waited even another additional year hoping for the bounce back.

The NHL has made a habit of sending teams away before the Winter Classic. I actually think it would be pretty awesome if they played like a December 29th home game where they retired Lidstrom's jersey as really the kick off to the Winter Classic. Hope that is something the league considers, would also put him in town for the Alumni events.

datbwoymjp

Wa gwan?
Feb 16, 2013
Metro Detroit
They said the opposite right away, I think they might have continued on if they knew the response would be this good. But they weren't going to use this as anything but an honor and at the appropriate time. The interesting thing would have been if this season was super ugly, I wonder if they might have waited even another additional year hoping for the bounce back.

The NHL has made a habit of sending teams away before the Winter Classic. I actually think it would be pretty awesome if they played like a December 29th home game where they retired Lidstrom's jersey as really the kick off to the Winter Classic. Hope that is something the league considers, would also put him in town for the Alumni events.

I think that's a great idea.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Plot twist: They canceled the ceremony because he's coming back next year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad