Anyone have general questions for NHL scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
In the next week or so I'll be having discussions with various members of NHL player personell and scouting staffs. The first two look to be Tom McVie (now a scout for the Bruins) and Tim Burke (Dir. of Player Personell for the Sharks). If anybody's got any general questions on the draft/scouting or some specific questions on Bruin or Shark prospects, I'd be more than happy to try and pass them along and report back. Please note, I'm going to limit my questions regarding players in the respective organizations to only a few, so don't expect a status report on an organization's Top 50.

It might make sense to post questions here so people can see if their question has already been asked. If that won't work, you can just PM me or email me.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
You could ask the Sharks dir. of player personnel what there plans for the struggling Kaspar are. Also what they think of him in the NA game compared to what they thouht of him in europe to trade up to get him in the draft.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
I'm curious to hear what they think of (Kevin)Baker[C] and (Kevin)Beech[G] on the Wolves, and if they think they will get drafted this year. Seems all the attention is paid to Pouliot, Staal and Mcquiad, but very little about these other two Wolves 05 draft eligibles who could possibly become late round steals.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
A Lone Wolf said:
I'm curious to hear what they think of (Kevin)Baker[C] and (Kevin)Beech[G] on the Wolves, and if they think they will get drafted this year. Seems all the attention is paid to Pouliot, Staal and Mcquiad, but very little about these other two Wolves 05 draft eligibles who could possibly become late round steals.

I can tell you now that I won't get any "on the record" remarks about draft eligible players.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Ask them how much value they put on stats (if any), and trying to predict via stats a players potential production in the NHL.

espo*

This may come sounding like a boring question that anyone would ask but i may as well be the first.I'd like for you to ask them what they personally feel about Crosby,no b.s,just their opinions from what they've seen of him and what they've heard other scouts say.What they think his high postives and negatives are.....from a scouts point of view,not ours or anyone else of us armchair David Conte's in here.Plainly put,do they think he is the real deal or a guy who is "just" going to be an all-star(you know what i mean) I'd like to hear what they think the real goods are concerning him........no filler for the press.If you could do that i'd appreciate it.I have about 100 more questions but that would be hogging things.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
What do pro scouts look at when scouting a player during a game?
Do they focus solely on that one player and try to evaluate every last aspect of his game or are they merely trying to get an impression of him.

And how do they measure potential in a prospect, how can they determine that a player could be an NHL-player (especially when drafting in the later rounds) by seeing him only a few games a year?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Many ideas here:

-How much stock do they put in other services, if any? How do they use these services? Which ones do they use? (CSS, Ragline, ISS, McKeen, etc.)

-How are the decisions on the final order before the draft taken in their respective organizations?

-Do they watch games live exclusively?

-How many games do they watch prospects to evaluate them?

-How much stock do they put in special tournaments as opposed to the regular team/league environment? What about special games like top prospect stuff?

-Do they feel that sometimes, a prospect's stock may increase just because of a few spectacular play?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I would ask what they think would be the fairest way to conduct the 2005 draft, and how high they are on Crosby, Johnson, Brule, Pouliot, and Ryan. Basically, everything we argue and opine about all the time on here, since they get paid to do it.

habbyfan60

Mar 23, 2005
I would really like to know the "real" concensus on Ryan Mior from the PEI Rocket; Pelletier from Drummondville; Joyal from the Remparts; Levasseur from the Huskies.

Any feed back would be great. Thanks.

espo*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Many ideas here:

-How much stock do they put in other services, if any? How do they use these services? Which ones do they use? (CSS, Ragline, ISS, McKeen, etc.)

-How are the decisions on the final order before the draft taken in their respective organizations?

-Do they watch games live exclusively?

-How many games do they watch prospects to evaluate them?

-How much stock do they put in special tournaments as opposed to the regular team/league environment? What about special games like top prospect stuff?

-Do they feel that sometimes, a prospect's stock may increase just because of a few spectacular play?
Yeah,these would be handy to know.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I would ask how they grade prospects...i.e. skating, shooting, passing, size, strength, hockey sense, etc. Do they focus on certain areas? What do they look for in prospect goalers, dmen, etc.?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I like the question on who they personally like a lot from the 2004 draft (steals). I think you'll get honest answers there and lots of material.

Regarding the Sharks I'd like to know if they specifically scouted Germany heavily as a potential source of NHLers before they started drafting some, or did prospects they like just happen to come from there? If they did target Germany, what other emerging country might they repeat this strategy with? (France, Italy, Latvia, Denmark)

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
How do they rank the quality of various European leagues when trying to guage a draft-eligible player?

A related question- draft eligible prospects in Europe are strung out not just over various national leagues but also various levels (elite league, 2nd tier pro leagues, junior leagues) wihin those nations. How can/do they rank players given this disparity?

Are there still any areas of the hockey world that they think might still be untapped?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hi. Thanks for asking for suggestions. My questions are as follows:

The book 'Moneyball' has ignited passionate discussion in baseball with the small budget Oakland's A's pure statistics-based approach to scouting and talent evaluation away from old school observation and intuitive instinct by field scouts. Is hockey scouting 'evolving' in a similar manner? Can it be adapted to hockey? And who, if any, are the early adopters of this new approach?

Second question (and kind of related), what do you consider to be the top three statistical measures to best evaluate prospective talent? (ie. Points; Even Strength +/-

Third, what means do you use to compare prospect potential and individual statistical results across leagues such as WHL, OHL, QMHL; NCAA; and Europe?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Who do they think will go higher in the 2005 draft: Ryan or Pouliot? And how much do they think Pouliot's lack of strenght (he's like 6-3, 180 pounds) will scare teams in the top 5 away from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->