Anyone have a scouting report or info on Travis Zajac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreek

Feb 28, 2002
New York
Visit site
Where do you see him going in this year's draft? What type of NHLer does he project to be? Who would you compare him both on the prospect and NHL levels? People seem high on him but what kind of impact do you see him having at the pro level? Thanks!

CoolDude*

He will probably be drafted late in the 2nd round. I had BCHL Season tickets but didn't get a chance to see him play but I know how much talent the BCHL has and there's not much.

OFSY34

Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
bob said:
He will probably be drafted late in the 2nd round. I had BCHL Season tickets but didn't get a chance to see him play but I know how much talent the BCHL has and there's not much.

I think people are a little hard on the BCHL. It produces a lot of sleepers in terms of late draft pics and talent, especially guys who chose the college route. The problem with Major Junior is that unless your a superstar right away you get left by the roadside draft wise. A lot of guys would be better off waiting and staying in the BCHL or junior A and trying to get a scholarship where they are in prime view of the scouts as they get into their early twenties instead of getting trapped in the ECHL etc. It's also easier to make the jump from college to NHL in my opinion.

Besides that point, I know that Zajac was of great interest to New Jersey's Western Scout as he spoke highly of him, likes his skill and he's got decent size and was impressed with his grit which is something this scout prides himself on. Doesn't draft *****es as he likes to say. However it's up to Conte to make the decision but I don't think they'll take him with their first pic, maybe if he's still around with their second.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Take it for what it's worth, but I spoke to an observer last night and he said Zajac was awful when he had seen him and is way overrated by CSB.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
Take it for what it's worth, but I spoke to an observer last night and he said Zajac was awful when he had seen him and is way overrated by CSB.

His Salmon Arm teammate Kris Chucko will be end up being a better player in the future. He is similar in terms of skills but Chucko has the toughness and leadership it takes to be a professional.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I could see New Jersey taking Zajac. He's headed to the University of North Dakota next year and Conte loves N.D. players:

2003: Zach Parise - 1st round
2002: None
2001: James Massen - 6th round
2000: David Hale- 1st round
1999: Mike Commodore - 2nd round

The problem with Zajac is that New Jersey doesn't have a second round pick, they have a first and a third. Most likely he'll be gone by the time the Devils pick in round 3 but if for some reason he is there, it wouldn't shock me if they took him.

Conte also seems to have a thing for University of Michigan players so I wouldn't be suprised if they took Matt Hunwick or Jason Dest. Both solid defensemen. Hunwick was on the US gold medal winning world junior team (didn't play much though). Both players will go mid to late rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad